Random Style Thoughts

Pimpernel Smith

An associate of mine does some work for a couple of the traditional mens stores come tailors over here. He was telling me the sorry plight of the businesses which haven't really recovered since 2008. There were a lot of rich people who lost a lot money at the time and the first things to go after the boats where the cars and bespoke/MTM suits. Also since then the politicians have quit traditional tailors and gone for the new competition which is cheaper. He himself gets a reduction at one place, but always shops elsewhere, blaming his wife when asked. He said he prefers more sporty jackets as I noticed his jacket ended half way up his backside.

Pauly Chase

Hip Dairy Farmer
Supporter
How tiny is Foo? I can barely squeeze into a 54, and appears that leather is wearing him.

I hope he is not diverging himself into that genre of clothes, he does not have neither the body frame nor the attitude.

Great White Snark

When has that kind of fact ever entered into his thought processing? He’s gone from clothes to interior design to sports cars to watches, becoming an overnight expert in each - maybe a boat is next.

I always think it funny when people set themselves up as experts, doling out advice and critique and collecting up a posse of slavvering acolytes. Then they have a damascene change of heart leaving a whole bunch of broken-hearted empty-walleted sycophants in their wake.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
When has that kind of fact ever entered into his thought processing? He’s gone from clothes to interior design to sports cars to watches, becoming an overnight expert in each - maybe a boat is next.

I always think it funny when people set themselves up as experts, doling out advice and critique and collecting up a posse of slavvering acolytes. Then they have a damascene change of heart leaving a whole bunch of broken-hearted empty-walleted sycophants in their wake.
Here is a Foo quote from that leather jacket thread:

Hold up. I love classic tailored clothing. I am not abandoning it. But I'm sick of the delusional, internet hobbyism around it. For me, clothes are to enjoy. They are a selfish, expensive indulgence. So, the experience should be fun. Dealing with mistakes, unresponsiveness, delays, haggling over fixes, etc.,is decidedly not fun. I would happily get my suits from a vending machine if they popped out perfect. Romantic nostalgia around the tailor experience is blinding people to how shitty most tailors are and how shitty their business practices are. We should be demanding more from our tailors, not falling in love with them.

In short, talking about MC has become boring to me. I know what I need to know. I know what I like. I definitely know what I don't like. And everyone else seems to have their heads and hearts in a different place.

Out of arrogance and ignorance, I shunned streetwear for a long time. Mea culpa. Now I want to catch-up. And so far, it is pretty damned fun.

dieworkwear said: ↑
Also, SLP is bad and you should return that jacket (ducks flying bricks in the SLP thread).
It is only "bad" in that it is a lot of money for a type of jacket that could be equally well-crafted for far less. However, with something like this, you are not buying just a jacket. You are buying a piece of pop culture. Buying something you want to be part of. Or that speaks to you or provokes something in you. I really love what Hedi Slimane has done at SLP (and Dior prior). Comparing to bespoke misses the point.

Ryan Owens

So-called funky socks are the death-knell for a man's self-respect. That is my thought for the day.

Pauly Chase

Hip Dairy Farmer
Supporter
Warmer weather, fat chicks in lululemons and dudes in flipflops making the annoying noise during walking

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I never ever ever want to see another post from some shmuck showing off their latest purchase captioned “maiden voyage for ...”

It’s clothing, not a fucking cruise ship.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I get that Barbour tattersall shirts are supposed to be sporting or for tubby old country lords or something, but surely they are swimming in them too?

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ok, I get that braces and side adjusters are making a comeback and I fully support (pun) the return of the high waist that goes with them ... but what I don’t understand is that sudden aversion to belts. All these IG iGent posers with empty belt loops just look half-dresses to me.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Ok, I get that braces and side adjusters are making a comeback and I fully support (pun) the return of the high waist that goes with them ... but what I don’t understand is that sudden aversion to belts. All these IG iGent posers with empty belt loops just look half-dresses to me.
they are too dense to realize that they should remove the belt loops from the RTW trousers so they can better pretend they have bespoke slacks.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Belt loops with no belt are disgusting. And everywhere

QuandoDio

Belt loops and adjusters are an even worse look! I agree, if your trousers have loops, don a belt.

Personally, I hate belts. Which is also why I am lucky enough to rarely wear RTW trousers.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Barbour’s brand-name wax is worth the extra money. I don’t know what they put in there, but it is much easier to apply than the half dozen other brands I’ve tried.
F209AC1A-8085-44DF-BE2B-507D164A0D3C.jpeg
775EA7BC-13E5-4B38-B0A1-C8072A931427.jpeg
12953763-B0EA-4B0E-8928-E21DA2E0E06F.jpeg
3FB5D1D5-3A82-4F0C-8E6B-A3D71BAE6F1B.jpeg
C79C13CB-79B1-43F1-A7FE-53128240FDE6.jpeg

Top Bottom