Resume, Job Help, & Job/Career Advice

How can you get promoted and not know?

You work for the weirdest organization I've ever heard of.

How can you get promoted and not know?

You work for the weirdest organization I've ever heard of.

Simple. On Friday, one of the demoted CxOs in charge of the transition office sends an e-mail at 1730 prior to the long weekend announcing the new organization. As I had to work to deliver a 7 figure project all weekend, I didn't even bother to read it until people around my desk were chattering about it on Tuesday. I finally had time to open it in the afternoon, and my functional boss says I ought to be pleased but he had no prior knowledge of it either although he recommended I ought to be at least his level. The chart says I am now on the same level as the US functional boss who ignored me all year since the reorganization except the brief time we were together in Germany. We both report into a vacant position who then reports into a direct report of the global CxO. Magically four staff are now under me, three of whom who already were before the demotion.

thus the sarcasm.
still, its better than nothing i suppose.

It hasn't swayed my mind to leave. I'm now leaving not just because of titles and platitudes. I've been pushing my staff to the ground to the point I don't believe they will take another hill for me. I am also slowly dismantling everything I contributed to this firm in the guise of delivering results. If I'm not working for my folks and I'm not working for the firm, that's a telltale sign.

Last edited:
What is "thought leadership" ? Is that a code word for you're not actually managing people?

Use of emojis, happy faces, etc. in business e-mail. Is that professional?

It came in. At least two levels above where I am now.

Base salary is 30% more than what I make. With the bonuses factored in 45% more than what I make. There is some retention bonus on top of that too. Pension contribution is slightly more than my current firm. I get a car allowance - what that means I have no idea since I don't own a car and never have. What can you lease for $13,800 a year anyway? 5 weeks holidays. And I get some strange medical checkup for executives.

I had two conditions I wanted met. I wanted to poach some people over at the junior executive level. I also wanted to stay in the city and commute there on Monday & return back to the city on Friday with some flexibility to come a bit later or leave a bit earlier.

Lastly I have to deal with some people who rely on me now for a pay cheque, my lady friend, and put together a proper transition plan for my resignation........should I choose to accept it.

A ferrari. Thats almost $1200 a month for god's sake.

Is this the job in the boonies?

Yes that's the allowance. Yes it's 100km west of where I live and I live in the middle of the city. There is about 230K people in this place. 100K and 120K in the two other towns around it.

Not a bad town. But a bit lacking for you, no?

I'm not moving there. I'm trying to take a train there and arrive at lunch time and then take a bus back on Friday. In the meantime it's Airbnb or the hotel next door in the strip mall.

Social life? Yes. It's lacking. Of course.

I'm giving up a lot of things. My footy seasons. Club memberships. Dinners, tastings, opera, shows, symphony events I decide to go the day of. Never mind leaving the financial district and all of my home bars.

I still haven't accepted the offer yet.

I see myself doing this for 3 years and seeing where I go. If I can't go anywhere else in this organisation I can come back to one of the banks for a VP position with 100 plus people.

Last edited:
I'm not moving there. I'm trying to take a train there and arrive at lunch time and then take a bus back on Friday. In the meantime it's Airbnb or the hotel next door in the strip mall.

Social life? Yes. It's lacking. Of course.

I'm giving up a lot of things. My footy seasons. Club memberships. Dinners, tastings, opera, shows, symphony events I decide to go the day of. Never mind leaving the financial district and all of my home bars.

I still haven't accepted the offer yet.

I see myself doing this for 3 years and seeing where I go. If I can't go anywhere else in this organisation I can come back to one of the banks for a VP position with 100 plus people.
100ks? Wtf at one stage I commuted 200ks each way, arrived on time and studied with 2 young kids. Harden up.

100ks? Wtf at one stage I commuted 200ks each way, arrived on time and studied with 2 young kids. Harden up.

There is of course a vast sheer gap between those who have kids and families to raise and maintain and those who are still getting off on the barmaid's apron, where they are in the pecking order of their club membership and falling in and out with the propreitor of the latest cheap and cheery hip restaurant.

I commuted by airplane for two plus years so it's not the dead time that bothers me. It's the loss of my social life and certain people who are important. The social costs.

There is of course a vast sheer gap between those who have kids and families to raise and maintain and those who are still getting off on the barmaid's apron, where they are in the pecking order of their club membership and falling in and out with the propreitor of the latest cheap and cheery hip restaurant.

I see nothing wrong with this picture. Although now you have me worried about the club. I have numbers for my membership number. The new lads have letters and numbers.

There is a club in the place where I am going. It is not close to the office. They recently started admitting women a few years ago. There are two now according to the last article I read.

I didn't have anyone advise me yes or no for my offer. I reckon I can drag it out one more day.

I didn't have anyone advise me yes or no for my offer. I reckon I can drag it out one more day.
well other than the horrid possibility of your time behind the wheel we really haven't heard much about this new job. would it make you happy?

well other than the horrid possibility of your time behind the wheel we really haven't heard much about this new job. would it make you happy?

I'm taking the train or greyhound bus there and staying four nights Airbnb or hotel or something. I'm using the car allowance in cash for that.

Pros - I skip senior director, AVP, VP and go into C suite for an even larger insurance company's Canadia division. 800 odd employees here. I manage 70 plus people in the division. There are interesting people and process things to do. I'm moving from one German company to another so there is some familiarity with the regional/global setup. I make more money than I ever made. I make it to the senior leadership team which in my current role I am two levels away from. I open another gold mine for anyone willing to come dig with me. I set my career up so in 3 or 4 years time I could do more international roles in his firm or come back to my hometown and easily be a senior executive in the financial district.

Cons - I am working in a strip mall off the side of a highway. It's hard to attract talent. I lose my urban social life. Things between my lady friend and I will break apart. I'll probably lose the rest of my hair from stress.

I'm taking the train or greyhound bus there and staying four nights Airbnb or hotel or something. I'm using the car allowance in cash for that.

Pros - I skip senior director, AVP, VP and go into C suite for an even larger insurance company's Canadia division. 800 odd employees here. I manage 70 plus people in the division. There are interesting people and process things to do. I'm moving from one German company to another so there is some familiarity with the regional/global setup. I make more money than I ever made. I make it to the senior leadership team which in my current role I am two levels away from. I open another gold mine for anyone willing to come dig with me. I set my career up so in 3 or 4 years time I could do more international roles in his firm or come back to my hometown and easily be a senior executive in the financial district.

Cons - I am working in a strip mall off the side of a highway. It's hard to attract talent. I lose my urban social life. Things between my lady friend and I will break apart. I'll probably lose the rest of my hair from stress.
Well, new job comes with new stresses. This sounds like its everything youve been working for. So whats holding you back?

Well, new job comes with new stresses. This sounds like its everything youve been working for. So whats holding you back?

Personal and social cost as a result of the location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom