Sartorial Stories In The News

Poy-sha-nally, I can't see me ordering another suit anytime soon, Sports-coats are the way forward for me I think. Trousers will likely be OTR.

What do forum members think about Johnny Depp's look at the current trial?

To me, it's a cross between Mexican cartel head and what Elvis Costello was wearing mid-2000's.

Amber Heard has mastered that butter-wouldn't-melt-in-my-mouth-look. I find it strangely attractive. I asked my kids about her and they said everyone knows she's lying.

The problem with Sportcoats are that compared with even a casual or knockabout suit, it pales in comparison. A suit -in whatever form- simply looks better.

The problem with Sportcoats are that compared with even a casual or knockabout suit, it pales in comparison. A suit -in whatever form- simply looks better.
Aesthetically, I agree, but sportscoats are more flexible and as I've crossed the mid-century I have come to value that more. There ars still occasions where I will still wear a suit; weddings, christenings and funerals which are sadly becoming more frequent these days....

I disagree 100%. I think a well cut, well put together grey trousers blue blazer set can look like so much more than a cheapo suit supply cut of the month ensemble

The suits are shit though, mid-blue colour, mid-arse length. The last well-dressed city gent I saw was someone heading for his train in the financial district of Casablanca.
Yes everyone knows Casablanca is the Mecca of sartorial superiority

Yes everyone knows Casablanca is the Mecca of sartorial superiority
1650489374261.png

Aesthetically, I agree, but sportscoats are more flexible and as I've crossed the mid-century I have come to value that more. There ars still occasions where I will still wear a suit; weddings, christenings and funerals which are sadly becoming more frequent these days....
^this sums it up nicely for me too.

I disagree 100%. I think a well cut, well put together grey trousers blue blazer set can look like so much more than a cheapo suit supply cut of the month ensemble
yup, yup. In my experience, A DB suit gets noticed. SB may or may not. The outfit you describe as well as other bolder jacket/trouser combinations get noticed more too. Navy DB blazer as well.

That is false equivalence. I am not comparing a cheapo suit supply or equivalent to a cheapo Blazer/ grey combo. I am saying all things equal, a suit objectively looks better. There are few things, if any, stylistically that look better than a well-cut, well worn suit.

I am not against SC/ trousers at all. I have enough of both and I agree that a SC/ trouser are more flexible though in these increasingly casual times.

That is false equivalence. I am not comparing a cheapo suit supply or equivalent to a cheapo Blazer/ grey combo. I am saying all things equal, a suit objectively looks better. There are few things, if any, stylistically that look better than a well-cut, well worn suit.

I am not against SC/ trousers at all. I have enough of both and I agree that a SC/ trouser are more flexible though in these increasingly casual times.

IMO, all things being equal, a well matched odd jacket and trousers can stand out more and look ‘sharper’ to the masses.

But a matching suit is more forgiving - you don’t notice small issues in the cut the same way as you do individual pieces. So for the average person buying RTW, the suit usually ends up looking better tailored than the odd pieces.

I waver back and forth on this. I will say that when I break out a mohair suit it's a much more eye catching ensemble. But also I am lazy and wear a SC most times.

Most of my 3 season ones got a % of mohair. I love that crispy feeling and cinema noir looking.

View attachment 43409
All of a sudden, I see suit, ties and even sport jackets as very old hat. Who do you see wearing a suit now, well, it's Putin and his mob of twisted old men going places very quickly with their Satan nuclear delivery systems.

Very out of fashion. We'll see where it goes. At the moment, I'm not digging the vibes.

I want to look like I've just designed and built the equivalent of an anti-Putin assassination drone and I'm at the pointy end about to deliver it. It's a not a suit and tie look.

All of a sudden, I see suit, ties and even sport jackets as very old hat. Who do you see wearing a suit now, well, it's Putin and his mob of twisted old men going places very quickly with their Satan nuclear delivery systems.

Very out of fashion. We'll see where it goes. At the moment, I'm not digging the vibes.

I want to look like I've just designed and built the equivalent of an anti-Putin assassination drone and I'm at the pointy end about to deliver it. It's a not a suit and tie look.

you better do this to be in fashion, Blue Ostrich invitation, vip stance, of course!

don't know if this will translate into menswear but it might be a good time to keep an eye out for increased sales.
It's gonna be all over. I just saw the freight rate from Shanghai to LA is negative year on year, which means there's an insane amount of excess stock to be sold in all industries

1656860724036.png

Good old Frank going at it again. All of Savile Row is RTW, he is the last benchmade tailor left in civilized society

I’m not a big fan of Steed - I didn’t have a great experience - but I’ll admit this is an interesting development

1659429409250.png

So it’s bespoke but they’re using a sewing machine to make the alterations? Can someone translate this from marketing speak please?

So it’s bespoke but they’re using a sewing machine to make the alterations? Can someone translate this from marketing speak please?

Looks like Edwin takes the measurements and draws the pattern, then sends to some place in Eastern Europe to be put together.

Looking at the prices this is what they charged for bespoke ~10 years ago.

What's the difference to the semi-bespoke they offer on their website?

1659437063371.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom