Socks thread

QuandoDio

Modern day gallo is still good. I stay away from the wild colours/ patterns and just stick to all-wool versions ( the best but not much variety) or less flamboyant colours.

Modern Pantarella is crap, IMO. Not a patch on its yesteryear.

güero

Wow. You got some?
Yes, plenty of them. Only the 2-ply cotton ones though, none of the 4-ply and none of the WISIC. Mostly blue and brown houndstooth. The are super fine/thin, but still no see-through. Perfect for the summer.

Noob

I have Pantherella socks from the last few years and they seem really good. How much better were the old ones. (How long ago?)

shookt

Recently got into over-the-calf socks, what a comfort to wear. (I used to buy Viccel mid-calf but its over-the-calf from now on!)

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Recently got into over-the-calf socks, what a comfort to wear. (I used to buy Viccel mid-calf but its over-the-calf from now on!)
I think it is good to wear mid calf socks on those very hot days, but yes, no comparison to over the calf socks.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
I love Kirby's enthusiasm here.

Looks like Kirby owns a big warehouse, so it looks like business is doing very well. Good on him. I used to think someone else was buying Kirby's multiple bespoke items, but it looks like Kirby is buying it all himself. He is doing a good job at promoting, so hats off to him.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
I love Kirby's enthusiasm here.

Looks like Kirby owns a big warehouse, so it looks like business is doing very well. Good on him. I used to think someone else was buying Kirby's multiple bespoke items, but it looks like Kirby is buying it all himself. He is doing a good job at promoting, so hats off to him.
The Shooman you ever heard this 'soverign grade' bullshit before?

edit - I gotta give it to Kirby. he is a fantastic bullshit salesman. he's charging $36 for a pair of cotton socks and $75 for a pair of silk socks. no wonder he can afford that big warehouse.

Pimpernel Smith

Each pair comes with a gold sovereign, freshly minted by artisan maestros in Rome.

Very expensive and those thin dress socks tend not to last so long. $36 is a bit steep. Also gambaletto is used to describe the give in the sock. Whilst gambaletto translates to English a knee-high it the Italian rag trade it refers to socks with elastic in them.

Untermensch

Kirby Allison's Hanger Project (he uses the full name every single time, so why shouldn't I) has ventured into dangerous business territory. He's basically outsourcing the production of items which you can find elsewhere, at the same or better level of quality, under brand names loaded with heritage and royal warrants. He then sells them at twice the price.

Also, if there is a "sovereign grade", is there another grade? A tourist class or standard grade, as it were?

He also needs to work hard on his pronunciation. It's embarrassing. But that's by the by.

The hangers, by the way, are made in China. Quality, craftsmanship, and tradition? I think not. Just good Western design made in China.

On a final side note, Allison must be fekking loaded. You don't get into the Carlton Club any other way. Texan oil money, as likely as not.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Kirby Allison's Hanger Project (he uses the full name every single time, so why shouldn't I) has ventured into dangerous business territory. He's basically outsourcing the production of items which you can find elsewhere, at the same or better level of quality, under brand names loaded with heritage and royal warrants. He then sells them at twice the price.

Also, if there is a "sovereign grade", is there another grade? A tourist class or standard grade, as it were?

He also needs to work hard on his pronunciation. It's embarrassing. But that's by the by.

The hangers, by the way, are made in China. Quality, craftsmanship, and tradition? I think not. Just good Western design made in China.

On a final side note, Allison must be fekking loaded. You don't get into the Carlton Club any other way. Texan oil money, as likely as not.

Interesting comments.

As for shoos, he has certainly spent $$$$$$ on shoes in the last few years. At least 13 pairs of bespokes and many more to come by the sounds of it. Lets think off the top of my head of what he has:
- 9 Cleverley bespokes
- 1 Gaziano & Girling bespoke
- 1 Dominic Casey bespoke
- 1 Dimitri Gomez bespoke
- 1 stunning Foster & Sons bespoke

and thousand dollar Charvet bespoke shirts.

In ancient chinese philosophy it would be said that a man has a lot of virtue to have such a good life where he travels in comfort buying whatever he pleases. People fall into these things and inherit money because of virtue, while others try and try and try and are never able to do much.

Rambo yes, l have heard his 'soverign grade' talk many MANY times. I wonder if it is true. I would be very disappointed in Kirby if he was telling fibs. Definitely a master salesman though, as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom