The Art Thread

Pimpernel Smith

Was in Lens and stayed over from the Lens Louvre, it's free and set-in some redesigned ex-mining town landscape. I stayed in the hotel across the road, and was decent enough, but no mini-bar or room service. It's free and Formby will remember that Napoleon crossing the Alps use to be in the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, unless one of them's a copy:

IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg

View attachment 33204 IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Pimpernel Smith

Its because its beautiful.
I have a problem with the word: ''Beautiful''

At the personal level, saying it seems false, or problematic. I just can't get myself to ever say ''Beautiful''. I don't have a problem with others saying it, but I know if I said it, it would be false and come across as contrite. It's the only question I would be interested in being psychoanalysed on. But only one visit, I'm not that intrigued why I can't get myself to say that word in polite company.

Last edited:

formby001

At the personal level, saying it seems false, or problematic. I just can't get myself to every say ''Beautiful''. I don't have a problem with others saying it, but I know if I said it, it would be false and come across as contrite. It's the only question I would be interested in being psychoanalysed on. But only one visit, on that specific question.
Roger Scruton wrote a book on Beauty, which I own. It is a difficult concept I accept, maybe its more of a feeling.

I still think that the English countryside is beautiful, however, as clearly does Ishiguro.

Pimpernel Smith

Roger Scruton wrote a book on Beauty, which I own. It is a difficult concept I accept, maybe its more of a feeling.

I still think that the English countryside is beautiful, however, as clearly does Ishiguro.
It's not the concept, or the English countryside, it's the specific word I have a problem with.

It is a feeling and it can be found outside of England, but there is something about England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Something special.

My kids get it and they're not into Arthurian legends or stuff, but they demand be taken into North Wales and all those places from my youth and are made magical again. I would swap my current status and predicament for a house with a view in several of those places. EU areas of designated outstanding natural beauty. The only issue is the weather.

Kingstonian

At the personal level, saying it seems false, or problematic. I just can't get myself to ever say ''Beautiful''. I don't have a problem with others saying it, but I know if I said it, it would be false and come across as contrite. It's the only question I would be interested in being psychoanalysed on. But only one visit, I'm not that intrigued why I can't get myself to say that word in polite company.
Beauty is Truth Truth Beauty.

I’d like a four page essay on that. By Monday, please.

Top Bottom