The Art Thread

Was in Lens and stayed over from the Lens Louvre, it's free and set-in some redesigned ex-mining town landscape. I stayed in the hotel across the road, and was decent enough, but no mini-bar or room service. It's free and Formby will remember that Napoleon crossing the Alps use to be in the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, unless one of them's a copy:

IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg

View attachment 33204 IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

There's something about the English countryside that resonates even today:

There's something about the English countryside that resonates even today:

Its because its beautiful.

Its because its beautiful.

I have a problem with the word: ''Beautiful''

At the personal level, saying it seems false, or problematic. I just can't get myself to ever say ''Beautiful''. I don't have a problem with others saying it, but I know if I said it, it would be false and come across as contrite. It's the only question I would be interested in being psychoanalysed on. But only one visit, I'm not that intrigued why I can't get myself to say that word in polite company.

Last edited:

At the personal level, saying it seems false, or problematic. I just can't get myself to every say ''Beautiful''. I don't have a problem with others saying it, but I know if I said it, it would be false and come across as contrite. It's the only question I would be interested in being psychoanalysed on. But only one visit, on that specific question.

Roger Scruton wrote a book on Beauty, which I own. It is a difficult concept I accept, maybe its more of a feeling.

I still think that the English countryside is beautiful, however, as clearly does Ishiguro.

Roger Scruton wrote a book on Beauty, which I own. It is a difficult concept I accept, maybe its more of a feeling.

I still think that the English countryside is beautiful, however, as clearly does Ishiguro.

It's not the concept, or the English countryside, it's the specific word I have a problem with.

It is a feeling and it can be found outside of England, but there is something about England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Something special.

My kids get it and they're not into Arthurian legends or stuff, but they demand be taken into North Wales and all those places from my youth and are made magical again. I would swap my current status and predicament for a house with a view in several of those places. EU areas of designated outstanding natural beauty. The only issue is the weather.

At the personal level, saying it seems false, or problematic. I just can't get myself to ever say ''Beautiful''. I don't have a problem with others saying it, but I know if I said it, it would be false and come across as contrite. It's the only question I would be interested in being psychoanalysed on. But only one visit, I'm not that intrigued why I can't get myself to say that word in polite company.

Beauty is Truth Truth Beauty.

I’d like a four page essay on that. By Monday, please.

Bought a couple of Marvel's War Is Hell series from House of Comics in Rotterdam back in the summer. That only ran for about a dozen comics. American editions of course.

I use to like Ghost Rider and Sgt Rock, the art work for Ghost Rider is very good indeed. Very stylish. Silver Surfer was good too along with the usual suspects: Spider Man, Fantastic Four, etc.

Those Marvel comics use to be a glimpse into America, they'd be all those adverts for super sets of soldiers many 100s of them which you couldn't get in the UK. My uncles were big into them and I remember in the mid 70s reading them at my grandparents.

Surprisingly, my favourite English comic 2000 A.D. is not that collectable.

The thing is with those comics, how best to display them? You can't really put them in the living room. If you want to go for the original art proofs it's expensive, you'll be paying tens and tens of thousands. The comics are still quite reasonably priced as they should be as they were mass produced.

I never got into comic books as a kid, except to buy a whole stack of horror comics from the used bookstore once. Some of those Vampirella cover paintings were really cool - and sexy in a very seventies sort of way. I thought about getting a print, but it would look pretty tacky anywhere I put it (and I know my missus would hate it).

I never got into comic books as a kid, except to buy a whole stack of horror comics from the used bookstore once. Some of those Vampirella cover paintings were really cool - and sexy in a very seventies sort of way. I thought about getting a print, but it would look pretty tacky anywhere I put it (and I know my missus would hate it).
Most wives or girlfriends are not going to dig any of that. Particularly mine, as she's from the Russian/Ukrainian diaspora and has zero cultural references to 1970s Marvel comics.

On the second to last trip to the UK, I took the family to The Lowry in Salford Quays. As a northerner I'm a big fan of L.S. Lowry, the genius of the colour scheme, the thickness of the paintings and the expanse in the cityscapes and wastelands there in which you need to see in person as they're panoramic. The humour too, which is a big factor in Lowry.

Of course my missus didn't get any it, and being spoilt, she let every know including the art gallery curators and security guards. She was really pissed-off. She did like Tatton Hall and Quarry Bank Mill though. Beeston Castle was a disaster as it was foggy.

EwjfuSNXIAQKxwW.jpg

homer simpson GIF

I’m taking the kids to the Picasso exhibit today. I’m anticipating a lot of complaining.

How did that go?
They didn’t like Picasso much, but kinda enjoyed the ‘immersive’ Picasso light show. We took them through the whole gallery, so there were a few odd things that would take their interest, like an Egyptian mummy, some paintings of medieval knights and mermaids.

This summer I want to take them to the MC Escher exhibit, which might be better for kids.

I ordered a signed print and some stickers when she moved from Moscow to Kazakhstan. Who knows, this might end-up as a tattoo one day.

E96E0C0B-93EF-4768-B643-B90828FA6D0B.jpeg

**Source of wealth?**

Damien Hirst Net Worth 2022 – Salary, Income, Girlfriend

September 5, 2022
Damien Hirst Net Worth
Damien Hirst has an estimated net worth of $750 million. British artist Damien Hirst has shocked and surprised the art world with his notable works, including glass displays of dead animals and medicine cabinet sculptures. He earned most of his income from his artwork and business endeavors. In 2008, he auctioned off his artwork for a record $198 million dollars at Sotheby’s.
Damien Hirst is a successful and controversial artist who took a leading role in the Young British Artists movement in the late 1980s and 1990s.
His works, which include depictions of dead animals and spinning, have fetched exceptionally high prices. He is one of the richest artists alive today.
To calculate the net worth of Damien Hirst, subtract all his liabilities from his total assets. Investments, savings, cash deposits, and any equity he has in a house, car, or other similar asset are included in the total assets.
All debts, such as personal loans and mortgages, are included in total liabilities.
Here’s the breakdown of his net worth:
Name:Damien Hirst
Net Worth:$750 Million
Monthly Salary:$1 Million
Annual Income:$100 Million
Source of Wealth:Rapper

An Etruscan Amphora; 6th Century BC. It is now on display with other repatriated art (almost exclusively Etruscan or Greek) in Aula Ottagona, a part of Baths of Diocletian now used as an exhibition space for National Roman Museum in Rome.

1E4D1F65-9A01-4CDF-9993-3BF405EA5C04.jpeg

Reject modernity. Embrace tradition!

We visited a local Aboriginal artist and bought this piece off her:

1689714932082.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom