The Computer Thread - Desktops, Laptops, Windows, Mac, & Linux

Bummer. The 3's weren't too bad, we have a half dozen of them for our supers.

Yeah, me and my deputies had, at one point in time, desktops, laptops, and, for me, an iPad. Trying to consolidate, I moved us all to just using the Surface. It's been such a clusterfuck that one of the deputies went back to the old way and the other has a desktop and a Surface. I gave up my desktop, but now wish I didn't. Still keep the iPad for the few times a week the Surface crashes or for times when I don't want to lug around a five pound tablet.

Yeah, me and my deputies had, at one point in time, desktops, laptops, and, for me, an iPad. Trying to consolidate, I moved us all to just using the Surface. It's been such a clusterfuck that one of the deputies went back to the old way and the other has a desktop and a Surface. I gave up my desktop, but now wish I didn't. Still keep the iPad for the few times a week the Surface crashes or for times when I don't want to lug around a five pound tablet.
why not go all ipad pro?

My Outlook started acting up with Microsoft Outlook.com so I wiped the profile and I lost my local Notes. My account is strange since I had an Exchange account and magically detached maintaining the other mail profiles in Outlook. I thought the others were maintaining my local notes.

Problem is all my passwords are in my Notes.

My Outlook started acting up with Microsoft Outlook.com so I wiped the profile and I lost my local Notes. My account is strange since I had an Exchange account and magically detached maintaining the other mail profiles in Outlook. I thought the others were maintaining my local notes.

Problem is all my passwords are in my Notes.
Get either 1password or LastPass

Get either 1password or LastPass

Yeah I just downloaded LastPass for Windows 10. Problem is I need to get all the other passwords back. Luckily my memory is pretty damned good. I'm just missing a few I only log in every few years.

Yeah I just downloaded LastPass for Windows 10. Problem is I need to get all the other passwords back. Luckily my memory is pretty damned good. I'm just missing a few I only log in every few years.
Use the program to create them for you and just use a strong password for the master password. No need to remember them all.

Use the program to create them for you and just use a strong password for the master password. No need to remember them all.
My passwords are no less than 32 characters, email i usually use a 256 hash.

My passwords are no less than 32 characters, email i usually use a 256 hash.
i try and shoot for 36 with 20 numbers and special characters but many websites have abysmal security protocols. one of the great things about 1Password is that you can just set the formula for whatever you need and spit out passwords.

i try and shoot for 36 with 20 numbers and special characters but many websites have abysmal security protocols. one of the great things about 1Password is that you can just set the formula for whatever you need and spit out passwords.
Nothing beats memory. You can use one of those pascal gpus and brute force any passwords, a couple of hours and thats it.

Nothing beats memory. You can use one of those pascal gpus and brute force any passwords, a couple of hours and thats it.
That's not true. A unique 36 character password would take ages. This one will take quite a while

IMG_0016.PNG

IMG_0017.PNG

Jeezus keep up mate the question was never to sell or not to sell - just whether I should spend money to get it fixed before I did.

On that note: offers welcome.
Just to close this off because I know you were all waiting with bated breath... sold the fucker for $800.

:mercury:

Thank you eBay, thank you former company, thank you Jesus, thank you Tom Cruise.

Anyone have experience with the surface book? I was waiting for the new MacBook to come out to replace my 2011 one, but thinking about the new surface book i7 now.

Will I see any difference in performance? My 2011 one has an i7 as well I think, 4GB though.

Anyone have experience with the surface book? I was waiting for the new MacBook to come out to replace my 2011 one, but thinking about the new surface book i7 now.

Will I see any difference in performance? My 2011 one has an i7 as well I think, 4GB though.
The new surface looks good, but i think is too much money for what it is. Surveillance teams have them and they complain a lot about it.

Cheers, any good price/quality ratio notebooks out there?
Dont know. I have 5 laptops and 2 desktops, i keep going for a small dell laptop i got that has good hardware, but the battery is utter shit (i have a lot of shit open though so i dont care for battery) . You need to figure out what you want, a lot of horsepowers or battery lenght. i5, at least 8 gigs of ram, and an ssd or m2 memory would be something you should look for as a minimum.

Dont know. I have 5 laptops and 2 desktops, i keep going for a small dell laptop i got that has good hardware, but the battery is utter shit (i have a lot of shit open though so i dont care for battery) . You need to figure out what you want, a lot of horsepowers or battery lenght. i5, at least 8 gigs of ram, and an ssd or m2 memory would be something you should look for as a minimum.

Thanks, don't really care about battery length. Hardly ever use it outdoors.

Thanks, don't really care about battery length. Hardly ever use it outdoors.
Go for a aorus x5v6, hefty money but you gonna have a laptop for at least 5 years. There are no better specs for a laptop than that.

Go for a aorus x5v6, hefty money but you gonna have a laptop for at least 5 years. There are no better specs for a laptop than that.
Really depends on what features you want. If you're just looking for specs, something like a Dell XPS or Lenovo would work. What do you need it to do? And if you don't take it outside why not get a desktop or all-in-one?

Really depends on what features you want. If you're just looking for specs, something like a Dell XPS or Lenovo would work. What do you need it to do? And if you don't take it outside why not get a desktop or all-in-one?

Because I want to use it in different locations. Kitchen table, dining table, living room couches, bedroom etc. Can't lug a desktop around.

Pretty much all I do is browse the web and watch shows on it. I see the surfacebook is good for artsy stuff, so I'll probably use it for that as well.

Because I want to use it in different locations. Kitchen table, dining table, living room couches, bedroom etc. Can't lug a desktop around.

Pretty much all I do is browse the web and watch shows on it. I see the surfacebook is good for artsy stuff, so I'll probably use it for that as well.
That's a pretty expensive web browsing machine though. You'd be fine with almost any entry level laptop to just dick around on the web.

That's a pretty expensive web browsing machine though. You'd be fine with almost any entry level laptop to just dick around on the web.

My MacBook is getting a little slow. And I like the artsy touchscreen and stylus. Would be fun to draw on.

Why not get an iPad Pro?

Not a big fan of apples support and extremely high priced peripherals. £50 for a charger that breaks every 6 months!

My MacBook battery died after 1.5 years. Completely flat, no charge.

Not a big fan of apples support and extremely high priced peripherals. £50 for a charger that breaks every 6 months!

My MacBook battery died after 1.5 years. Completely flat, no charge.
You gotta get apple care on everything basically. If you want windows, get a Lenovo.

Acer switch 12 looks ok too. Keyboard is included, but no stylus for drawing.

You and the drawing. Are you Bob Ross all of a sudden?

I've always drawn. Wanted to be a cartoonist for a very long time, until I realised there's hardly any money in it. After that industrial designer, until I realised there wasn't that much more money in it.

I've always drawn. Wanted to be a cartoonist for a very long time, until I realised there's hardly any money in it. After that industrial designer, until I realised there wasn't that much more money in it.
I wanted to be a history professor, but didnt pay shit so i went for engineering. Lol

i suppose it really just depends on how much money you want to spend on this. you could get a wacom tablet or you could get a surface book or you could get the surface desktop. you gotta figure out how you want your home computing experience to look.

i suppose it really just depends on how much money you want to spend on this. you could get a wacom tablet or you could get a surface book or you could get the surface desktop. you gotta figure out how you want your home computing experience to look.

Yeah, I'll think about it. Can get the pro 4 for £850, i5 8gb, 256MB SSD. If it's anything like my mac I'll use it for the next 5 years, so cost per year is negligible.

Use the £400 difference between surface pro and surface book to get PSVR for gaming.

currently using the surface pro 4. i'd recommend the surface book over if you intend to have only one machine

the sp4 is basically a tablet that runs windows, i don't use it often enough (only when travelling or in bed). typing on the type cover feels odd

bear in mind that some complain about the book's hinge, so you should try it out in a physical store if you decide to go for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom