The Food Thread

fxh fxh - Rockpool or Attica? Worth an insane flight for someone in the northeast of North America to come over?

When I don't cook...

20210506_185133.jpg

Hey Euros,

Is Tchibo coffee any good?
I'd be very surprised if it is. It's a mid-market chain that only survives on selling random other stuff (clothes, kitchenware, etc.) that they cheaply source in China. I bet they haven't missed the coffee craze and now offer some more exclusive/upmarket coffee, but I highly doubt it is worth it.

Last edited:
Pizza with pineapple...not seen that since the 1980s.

Never seen it.

If it's a Brit brand, give it a miss, they're still into powder coffee over there. When I go back it's dreadful on the coffee front. Filter coffee in a home environment is like the ultimate special occasion. Wow!
Tchibo is German...

I thought I saw these rankings somewhere else on this forum a few months ago. Or I am losing it.

Not far off, but kippers need to be in God Tier. Steak & kidney pudding and black budding need to be much higher up. All the Top Tier need to be replaced and relegated to the Crap Tier.
Agree that kippers and black pudding are great stuff. Bury black pudding and also Stornaway. Manx kippers or those from the North East of England.

Chicken tikka masala can disappear. Pie and mash can also drop down.

I had fish and chips on Saturday before I went off to The Derby. It was a hot day and few were in the fish and chip shop. I feel that I am at an age where I should set a good example. No saveloys , pies or chicken sold in this establishment. ‘That chap looks as though he has been eating fish and chips since Methusaleh was a boy’. Etc.etc.

I had fish and chips on Saturday before I went off to The Derby. It was a hot day and few were in the fish and chip shop. I feel that I am at an age where I should set a good example. No saveloys , pies or chicken sold in this establishment. ‘That chap looks as though he has been eating fish and chips since Methusaleh was a boy’. Etc.etc.
Same here, down at the harbour. The plushest fish and chip there is Simonis and the portions are massive, but the batter isn't great. We go to a smaller one where the batter is top notch, only issue is that it's served on a plastic plate with plastic cutlery.

The eating establishments here are mobbed out on the outside terraces now. All the baby boomers who have their double vaccines are out in force. Good thing, get the restaurants back up and running.

The plushest fish and chip there is Simonis and the portions are massive, but the batter isn't great. We go to a smaller one where the batter is top notch, only issue is that it's served on a plastic plate with plastic cutlery.
I like Simonis. What is the smaller, better one called?

I like Simonis. What is the smaller, better one called?
Simonis is good and has got the best decor and ambience and certainly is the best for a restaurant experience, but for a quick fish and chips go to Vissershavenweg 66, the Haring Huisje for the best batter in town:

het-haringhuisje-foto-facebook.jpg

Not far off, but kippers need to be in God Tier. Steak & kidney pudding and black budding need to be much higher up. All the Top Tier need to be replaced and relegated to the Crap Tier.

Agree that kippers and black pudding are great stuff. Bury black pudding and also Stornaway. Manx kippers or those from the North East of England.

Chicken tikka masala can disappear. Pie and mash can also drop down.

I thought it was just me. The top tier is middling at best. Though I am partial to a proper Sunday roast save the Yorkshire pudding which is akin to eating a cardboard box.

I am partial to a few of the foods in the crap tier tbh bar black pud which is always too stout for me. I really enjoy liver.

I usually just have a small kibbeling, no fries. etc. Simonis is ridiculously expensive depending on the location, apart from that I guess it’s ok. But I’m not married to them, so definitely willing to try somewhere else…

The Brits on the forum may know of Tebay Services on the M6 just north of Kendell on the way to the Lake District and Scotland:

It use to be the best service station in the country with food that was fresh and not lying around in a greasy tray for hours. f you're ever on the road, it's a great place to stop for breakfast. Many times early morning in the 80s and 90s, I've stopped early morning there.

Completely forgot about this: Not sure Haringhuis is necessarily better than Simonis. Tried both back to back, probably at a bad time (evening, empty). I think Simonis uses better spices in the batter. Haringhuis had smaller pieces which I think is nicer. Not sure that’s the case all the time. Both were exceptionally crispy, more than usual, maybe they just double fried some leftovers.

Completely forgot about this: Not sure Haringhuis is necessarily better than Simonis. Tried both back to back, probably at a bad time (evening, empty). I think Simonis uses better spices in the batter. Haringhuis had smaller pieces which I think is nicer. Not sure that’s the case all the time. Both were exceptionally crispy, more than usual, maybe they just double fried some leftovers.
They're both exceptionally crispy.

Been here a couple of times recently and whilst getting served on steel dishes isn't aesthetically that pleasing, the quality of Indian vegetable dishes are very good, especially the chilli baji, gobi manchurian and vegetable curry:

A couple of the dishes look small on the website, but they're quite filling and not in the overly heavy on the butter way like in most Indian restaurants. Going here has put me off my usual Indian restaurants in The Hague as way too heavy, especially on the nan bread front.

I'm home alone for the next two weeks, so intend to give the takeaway menu a good going over.

When Texicans get tired of Tex-Mex they go fusion. Fish n chip, tikka chicken and brisket tacos, with a red coconut curry queso and chips on the side.

043EB45B-7C08-48A5-B0EA-7840628B5A5A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom