The Football/Soccer Thread

The Ernesto

Ratings
My local team signed the Swedish striker Ola Toivonen. Along with Honda, that means two players straight from the World Cup into the starting 11. Neither are spring chickens but should do well in our league. Raul Baena from Grananda also allegedly on his way.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings

I saw this last night. Wanker behind me said we ought to stand in awe of that. I was standing because that's what I do at footy games.

Lot of Ibra kits that night. Took an Uber to a bar with a black man who claims Swedish heritage and had to listen to him about it too.

Kingstonian

Ratings

I saw this last night. Wanker behind me said we ought to stand in awe of that. I was standing because that's what I do at footy games.

Lot of Ibra kits that night. Took an Uber to a bar with a black man who claims Swedish heritage and had to listen to him about it too.
No standing at Premier League matches. Stewards might kick you out if you do not comply.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45341192

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
"Conte remains the most likely option, but the strong negotiating stance the Italian is taking at the moment does not necessarily bode well for his future relationship with Perez or the Real players.

There is a serious concern that Conte will prove to be too much of his own man. Demanding to do things his way or the highway would not go down well with a squad who expect to be treated as respected equals - as they were by Zidane - rather than being strictly disciplined by an authoritarian coach like Conte."

Managers are equals to their players?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46024734

Kingstonian

Ratings
Meanwhile in West London Fulham continue to leak goals at an alarming rate. Brentford manager now at Aston Villa and teams winless streak continues. I am sure there is a succession plan but Bees slipping down the table.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Did anyone see that Tottenham game? NFL lines all over. I thought only pony MLS clubs would agree to play footy on surfaces like that.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Wayne Rooney: England's record goalscorer set for farewell appearance

"After moving to the United States in July, Rooney scored 12 goals to guide DC United from the bottom of the Major League Soccer table into the play-offs.

But the former Manchester United and Everton forward missed a penalty in a shootout as his side were knocked out in the first round."

An England striker not doing well in penalty situations - what a novelty. What major footballing nation uses an international friendly as a testimonial? Surely someone else on the England side deserved a call up. What does it say to USA? You're playing my retiree.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
When I looked at the score Arsenal was down 2-1. I thought they'd get a draw at best. I didn't expect that type of second half response...in a derby no less.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Brentford poor form under new manager continues.

A goal down inside a minute. Three down after 27 minutes. At this point the two regulars next to me left.

A goal clawed back before half time. Poor play at the start of second half but back to 2-3. Then hit woodwork or missed chances.

Club philosophy is that in most cases a change of manager does little to improve a team. New manager was a promotion from within too.

We shall see.

Top Bottom