The Football/Soccer Thread

Fwiffo

Supporter
Where is he going to go? I can't see him coming to the Premier League, at 34 years old they don't need him. The MLS? That's a retirement home and doesn't provide anywhere near the quality of football needed to keep a player of Messi's calibre in tip-top condition, he needs European football for that. Ditto China.

I can only see Paris. However, I c

Apparently he took a 50 percent wage cut without asking to negotiate, but in La Liga that is the maximum you can force a player to cut so even if he went lower then the league would have intervened.

Then again you could argue how did he end up with such a high wage bill to come down from in the first place.

formby002

Apparently he took a 50 percent wage cut without asking to negotiate, but in La Liga that is the maximum you can force a player to cut so even if he went lower then the league would have intervened.

Then again you could argue how did he end up with such a high wage bill to come down from in the first place.
This...

Kingstonian

Either Brentford is really good or Arsenal is really poor.
‘Shit Tottenham Hotspur, you’re just a shit Tottenham Hotspur’

New stadium will muck up my drinking arrangements - especially for an evening match. Did not bother to get train home narrow platform and crowds. Bus to Hammersmith and Tube seemed better; but I might try a different Tube station next time.

Fwiffo

Supporter
‘Shit Tottenham Hotspur, you’re just a shit Tottenham Hotspur’

New stadium will muck up my drinking arrangements - especially for an evening match. Did not bother to get train home narrow platform and crowds. Bus to Hammersmith and Tube seemed better; but I might try a different Tube station next time.

Or you drink till the wee hours until the crowd dies down but then your night gets more expensive.

Kingstonian

Or you drink till the wee hours until the crowd dies down but then your night gets more expensive.
True but I noticed lots of bars in Chiswick were already preparing to shut. Lockdown has taken its toll. Anyway, I am more inclined to drink when the match is at 3pm on Saturday.

The Ernesto

Brentford played well. No doubt big challenges ahead, but it's great they are creating memories and getting people behind them.

Kingstonian

Brentford played well. No doubt big challenges ahead, but it's great they are creating memories and getting people behind them.
I liked it in the lower leagues. No games moved to suit TV schedules. No need for a season ticket to see games.

However, the club is now extremely well managed, after a history of being owned by chancers. So relegation would not be a total disaster and the club would use revenues to build and consolidate.

The Ernesto

I liked it in the lower leagues. No games moved to suit TV schedules. No need for a season ticket to see games.

However, the club is now extremely well managed, after a history of being owned by chancers. So relegation would not be a total disaster and the club would use revenues to build and consolidate.

Very true. They are in a remarkably good position due to unusually good financial and football management. They can enjoy this season knowing whatever happens they will still be sustainable on and off the park.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Alvaro Morata - Spain’s most prolific striker in the Euros sits on the bench for Juventus.

The Ernesto

Alvaro Morata - Spain’s most prolific striker in the Euros sits on the bench for Juventus.

No surprise, he did that last season. Chiesa, Ronaldo and Dybala will be hard to displace.

Morata was heavily criticised during the Euros, unfairly I think.

Fwiffo

Supporter

Circular loop of continuously selling to your competitor so they can win titles continues...

The Ernesto

Arsenal has seriously misread the changes in football management on and off the part. Instead of trying to maintain what Arsene had built they really needed to revitalise their approach taking into account how the world had moved on.

Fwiffo

Supporter
So all that cash Arsenal have just spent Fwiffo Fwiffo

Clearly we need it to fight relegation given where they are in the table

Arsenal has seriously misread the changes in football management on and off the part. Instead of trying to maintain what Arsene had built they really needed to revitalise their approach taking into account how the world had moved on.

I honestly haven’t followed them much since Wenger left. I knew the first manager after him would be sacked. It was too much for Emery to change the identity. 20 years of player selection, tactics and culture is hard to break.

The Ernesto

I honestly haven’t followed them much since Wenger left. I knew the first manager after him would be sacked. It was too much for Emery to change the identity. 20 years of player selection, tactics and culture is hard to break.

Very true. Unless there's a conscious effort to do so I imagine the tendency to default to the norm is overwhelming. It was never just about overhauling the squad but rather the whole methodology.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Cristiano Ronaldo scores 2 on his return to United at age 36. Not sure if that's an indictment on Newcastle, a statement about his quality or the quality of United.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I was chatting with this long time follower of the club and he must be part of the minority because he was saying they were doing well and scoring without signing him.

But from a personal standpoint it's super human he is improving in his 30s.

The Ernesto

Brentford did well to hold on with 10 men in the second half. Wolves were largely awful.
Watched a bit of the Arsenal game. They actually defended well.

Fwiffo

Supporter
USL League One is where the reserve teams for MLS clubs play. If he only made it there at 19, he's not as gifted as his father.

Top Bottom