The Football/Soccer Thread

Where is he going to go? I can't see him coming to the Premier League, at 34 years old they don't need him. The MLS? That's a retirement home and doesn't provide anywhere near the quality of football needed to keep a player of Messi's calibre in tip-top condition, he needs European football for that. Ditto China.

I can only see Paris. However, I c

Apparently he took a 50 percent wage cut without asking to negotiate, but in La Liga that is the maximum you can force a player to cut so even if he went lower then the league would have intervened.

Then again you could argue how did he end up with such a high wage bill to come down from in the first place.

Apparently he took a 50 percent wage cut without asking to negotiate, but in La Liga that is the maximum you can force a player to cut so even if he went lower then the league would have intervened.

Then again you could argue how did he end up with such a high wage bill to come down from in the first place.
This...

Either Brentford is really good or Arsenal is really poor.

Either Brentford is really good or Arsenal is really poor.
‘Shit Tottenham Hotspur, you’re just a shit Tottenham Hotspur’

New stadium will muck up my drinking arrangements - especially for an evening match. Did not bother to get train home narrow platform and crowds. Bus to Hammersmith and Tube seemed better; but I might try a different Tube station next time.

‘Shit Tottenham Hotspur, you’re just a shit Tottenham Hotspur’

New stadium will muck up my drinking arrangements - especially for an evening match. Did not bother to get train home narrow platform and crowds. Bus to Hammersmith and Tube seemed better; but I might try a different Tube station next time.

Or you drink till the wee hours until the crowd dies down but then your night gets more expensive.

Or you drink till the wee hours until the crowd dies down but then your night gets more expensive.
True but I noticed lots of bars in Chiswick were already preparing to shut. Lockdown has taken its toll. Anyway, I am more inclined to drink when the match is at 3pm on Saturday.

Brentford played well. No doubt big challenges ahead, but it's great they are creating memories and getting people behind them.

Brentford played well. No doubt big challenges ahead, but it's great they are creating memories and getting people behind them.
I liked it in the lower leagues. No games moved to suit TV schedules. No need for a season ticket to see games.

However, the club is now extremely well managed, after a history of being owned by chancers. So relegation would not be a total disaster and the club would use revenues to build and consolidate.

I liked it in the lower leagues. No games moved to suit TV schedules. No need for a season ticket to see games.

However, the club is now extremely well managed, after a history of being owned by chancers. So relegation would not be a total disaster and the club would use revenues to build and consolidate.

Very true. They are in a remarkably good position due to unusually good financial and football management. They can enjoy this season knowing whatever happens they will still be sustainable on and off the park.

Alvaro Morata - Spain’s most prolific striker in the Euros sits on the bench for Juventus.

Alvaro Morata - Spain’s most prolific striker in the Euros sits on the bench for Juventus.

No surprise, he did that last season. Chiesa, Ronaldo and Dybala will be hard to displace.

Morata was heavily criticised during the Euros, unfairly I think.

Juventus wanting to offload Ronaldo now.

Harry Kane off the market.

Circular loop of continuously selling to your competitor so they can win titles continues...

Arsenal has seriously misread the changes in football management on and off the part. Instead of trying to maintain what Arsene had built they really needed to revitalise their approach taking into account how the world had moved on.

So all that cash Arsenal have just spent Fwiffo Fwiffo

Clearly we need it to fight relegation given where they are in the table

Arsenal has seriously misread the changes in football management on and off the part. Instead of trying to maintain what Arsene had built they really needed to revitalise their approach taking into account how the world had moved on.

I honestly haven’t followed them much since Wenger left. I knew the first manager after him would be sacked. It was too much for Emery to change the identity. 20 years of player selection, tactics and culture is hard to break.

I honestly haven’t followed them much since Wenger left. I knew the first manager after him would be sacked. It was too much for Emery to change the identity. 20 years of player selection, tactics and culture is hard to break.

Very true. Unless there's a conscious effort to do so I imagine the tendency to default to the norm is overwhelming. It was never just about overhauling the squad but rather the whole methodology.

Cristiano Ronaldo scores 2 on his return to United at age 36. Not sure if that's an indictment on Newcastle, a statement about his quality or the quality of United.

I was chatting with this long time follower of the club and he must be part of the minority because he was saying they were doing well and scoring without signing him.

But from a personal standpoint it's super human he is improving in his 30s.

Brentford did well to hold on with 10 men in the second half. Wolves were largely awful.
Watched a bit of the Arsenal game. They actually defended well.

Know someone who coached him at school. Nice kid apparently at the time. And Becks made a point of keeping his distance.

USL League One is where the reserve teams for MLS clubs play. If he only made it there at 19, he's not as gifted as his father.

I watched that game and remembered that commentary but for some reason misremembered it as Switzerland, not Norway. Odd how the mind plays tricks.

Anyway, that's nothing compared with South American commentators...they're proper nuts, good though.

Be careful not to let in an own goal though

SUDDEN DEATH

How Colombian star Andres Escobar was executed by drug cartel after unlucky own goal destroyed 1994 World Cup dreams​

• 9:03, 11 Jun 2021
  • Updated: 9:13, 11 Jun 2021
COLOMBIA'S World Cup hopes were high: they had finished top of their qualifying group, beaten Argentina 5-0, and been tipped as favourites by Brazilian legend Pele.
But their 1994 campaign ended in disaster, with an early own goal by defender Andrés Escobar, an exit at the end of the group stages, and the subsequent murder of Escobar outside a Colombia nightclub.
 Colombian defender Andrés Escobar scored an own goal against the US in the 1994 World Cup
Colombian defender Andrés Escobar scored an own goal against the US in the 1994 World CupCredit: AFP - Getty

Newcastle sold to the unsavoury Saudi regime.

Money talks. Everything in the U.K. is biddable.

Will make Premier League even worse.

Only plus is that it will upset the other clubs with dodgy, rich owners.

Found this rather funny:

"Newcastle fans what do you honestly want? You've given Bruce nothing but s*** ever since he walked through the door. You're still the biggest club in your area. Try being Boro in the Championship, Sunderland in League one or us having finally gotten back into the league this season. Any of us would give our right arm to be in the prem and all you lot do is whine. Get a grip."

Thought it would be Ole that gets sacked but it's actually Nuno.

Watford, Newcastle, Spurs, Norwich, Aston Villa and United.

Have to believe United is the bigger turnaround project than Spurs because you're still fighting the ghosts of Ferguson past.

Norwich and Newcastle seem more like jobs where you can cite on your CV I'm still managing a top flight club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom