The Football/Soccer Thread

We sold a RB to Forrest and now he's coming back on loan!

Surprised United put on Ronaldo but still a loss to mighty Brighton at Old Trafford.

One for fwiffs

I kept reading he was a bust before he came, but I'm pretty impressed with him so far. His left leg is lethal.

He's also the only one who is brave enough to show up in front of media without a translator. Insigne and Criscito mostly hang out with each other off the pitch and speak Italian or Neapolitan.

He's still quality and you got him at the right time.

Got drenched at training last night. Torrential. Soaked from head to toe.

Isn't Bernardeschi too good still to be whiling away in Canada? Should still be in one of the top European leagues.

Isn't Bernardeschi too good still to be whiling away in Canada? Should still be in one of the top European leagues.

Purportedly we offered him 7M EUR or 3.5M EUR net and he bit. I recall he was getting 2M EUR net elsewhere. We have 800K plus Italians here, and you're not hounded by paparazzi all day.

For someone who is judged harshly back home he seems enthusiastic and positive to come here.

I think Jermain Defoe cost us roughly the same back in the day and he was mildly interested and grew disinterested after being passed up on international call ups.

my team sk rapid wien pulled a draw a in the conference league play off, hosianna

Bit confused with the United strategy. Are they letting Ronaldo leave or selling him in January? If Ten Hag says club funds are low and he can remain as third striker he isn't going to improve without any playing time.

Anyone worked up about the World Cup?

Anyone going to the World Cup?

I don't really have any expectations either. Traditionally I supported England simply because Canada never made it but this year will be a dilemma.

Back when we used to be in the office every day the games were broadcast anywhere in the financial district that had a television. The broadcast times are not so bad for eastern time so I might organise a viewing party.

I like how everyone became woke on Qatar and human rights, anti gay, anti whatever in the lead up to the World Cup.

The games were awarded ages ago.

If you had objections maybe it should have been logged when FIFA decided to award a desert nation to play footy for something that is played during the summer where it is scorching there. Then with much debate most of the world's leagues save Russia and MLS adjust their schedules to accommodate a November to December tournament right in the middle of European season. All done I am sure because people want the money.

Rewind before that and the games were awarded when Sepp Blatter was in charge of FIFA. A person who is banned from the organisation because he took money that influenced the selection of World Cup nations.

There were lots of opportunities to make a stand and be righteous but at the end people just want the money.

I like how everyone became woke on Qatar and human rights, anti gay, anti whatever in the lead up to the World Cup.

The games were awarded ages ago.

If you had objections maybe it should have been logged when FIFA decided to award a desert nation to play footy for something that is played during the summer where it is scorching there. Then with much debate most of the world's leagues save Russia and MLS adjust their schedules to accommodate a November to December tournament right in the middle of European season. All done I am sure because people want the money.

Rewind before that and the games were awarded when Sepp Blatter was in charge of FIFA. A person who is banned from the organisation because he took money that influenced the selection of World Cup nations.

There were lots of opportunities to make a stand and be righteous but at the end people just want the money.
Did you follow the news once every while over the last decade? Did you by chance notice that even Sepp Blatter has called this a mistake?

Did you follow the news once every while over the last decade? Did you by chance notice that even Sepp Blatter has called this a mistake?

Yes I read it. I am glad he has the energy to make that announcement given he was too ill to testify this year, and had heart surgery and Covid in previous years. Maybe he was hoping a death bed confession will save him.

When the tournament was first proposed I remember reading about stadium designs where air conditioning was coming up through the pitch so it will keep the players cool in day time highs above 40c. That was before global warming raged ahead.

Players want the tournament money. The only thing that will give players, national associations and politicians a conscience is if the corporate sponsors pull their money out and fans start cancelling or doing charge backs on their travel arrangements and tickets.

As your graphic said they will play in North Korea with an ICBM launch at kickoff if sponsor money shows up.

That said I wanted to see the final World Cups for Messi and Ronaldo and the media bigging up England only for them to choke in the latter stages of the tournament.

Yes I read it. I am glad he has the energy to make that announcement given he was too ill to testify this year, and had heart surgery and Covid in previous years. Maybe he was hoping a death bed confession will save him.
I don’t think you did because that confession was made in 2014.

I personally am not at all interested (and neither is anyone I talk to) mostly because there are too many shithole countries participating (including the host). Looks like there won’t even be a betting group at work, which I don’t think has ever happened. Maybe will start watching in/after the quarter finals. They should just add Brazil and Argentina to the Euro cup and nobody would miss a thing.

Players want the tournament money.
Don’t know about each and every country, but at least for real countries, players do not care about the tournament money (most of them make far more even in an injury week). At most they want to increase their market value and/or get hired by a European club.

I didn't plan it but I am watching Qatar vs Ecuador.

I remember my club beat Enner Valencia when he was playing for Tigres in Concacaf champions league.

I am the only one here representing my Arab and Ecuadorian roots. IMG_20221120_111211_HDR.jpg

All stadiums were built within 55km of each other. 3m person country. Despite cruise ship hotels you can get a 400 dollar tent in the desert, apartments where migrant workers were living or go to Dubai and fly in for an hour.

Never mind why are we playing football in the middle of most major league seasons and day time temperatures are 40c.

6-1...waiting for the media to say they're headed to the finals now.

The most authentic experience. Living in a tent in the desert.

I was surprised by the USA Wales draw. It was a tale of two halves. Now every team in that group will push for results.

I don't usually wear glasses when I work out but is Saudi Arabia up 2 to 1 against Argentina and Messi?

Wow....3 goals called back for offsides in the 1st half + excellent play by SA's goaltender.

Is that the first nil nil draw?

Lewandowski has never scored in World Cup? I didn't know that.

France is starting a 36 year old Olivier Giroud. Loved him at Arsenal but there aren't any other strikers on their bench?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom