The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

güero

Thank you Thruth Thruth , that was a helpful hint. Today I tried Aoud Forest, Fantastic Oud and Dark Aoud. First on a piece of paper, then Dark Aoud for real. Auod Forest is nice, a bit generic I think could be hotel soap (and not enough oud). The Fantastic Oud is indeed just that, it is just so well-rounded and interesting (bit like the Creed, if that one had oud). After a couple of hours, I might even like it more than the Dark Aoud. That one is pretty much excactly what I was looking for, it is right up with the Guerlain I tried. But the Fantastic Oud is excellent as well. Montale has still a few more ouds to try. Will also order some samples from Xerjoff Oud Stars, don't know why I haven't thought of that before, they usually have good stuff.

A couple of days ago, tried Boucheron Oud de Carthage, waste of time. Also tried Dior Oud Isfahan again, still like it a lot, probably not as much as the Fantastic Oud though. Saw (too late) that Dior also has Oud Elixir, Purple Oud and Leather Oud, on the list for more tries.

Most likely will boil down to Guerlain Oud Essentiel, Montale Dark Aoud and maybe one or two more from Montale, Xerjoff or Dior.

güero

Anyone interested in fragrances should visit the Smeller, if he gets the chance:

https://osmodrama.com/smeller/

It is tagged as an "electronic scent organ", saw a performance a couple of days ago. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Bois D'Ascese from Naomi Goodisr, supposedly genderless, but actually a very masculine fragrance:

RADICAL / MYSTICAL / STATEMENT
A captivating & reassuring smoke. Notes of tobacco & whisky, are supported by Somalian incense, cade wood, amber & cistus labdanum.
Inspiration - A wooden church nestled between the hills of New South Wales, Australia with the surrounding countryside ablaze. This perfume is a souvenir from Naomi's childhood and homage to her family's Scottish origins.

Journeyman

Supporter
You know, I've never actually smelled (sniffed?) any of the Penhaligon's fragrances.

They've got quite a few of them in the department store near my office, next to the Tom Ford concession. I should go in and sample some of them one lunchtime.

Pimpernel Smith

You know, I've never actually smelled (sniffed?) any of the Penhaligon's fragrances.

They've got quite a few of them in the department store near my office, next to the Tom Ford concession. I should go in and sample some of them one lunchtime.
Decent classics in their ranges like the Blenheim and some naff one's too. Sartorial and Boyolea are recent favourites. Savoy Steam was too perfume based for my liking, a big disappointment when it first came out. Then you have ones that drift in and drift out of production like Limes. The Portraits range is good too, I like Much Ado About The Duke, but quite expensive at Euros 225 for 75m over here. And for presentation alone the new Cairo looks a real winner conjuring up images of drinking cocktails in a fez in some embassy party whilst negotiating some gun running or smuggling opium from a very exotic east:

D9VsWl_X4AUGQQT.jpg

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
neiman marcus is having a big sale online in case there's anything you guys would like me to get and split.

Rambo

Supporter
walked into the neiman's for the first time in a long while just to see they had redone the fragrance counter and now have a frederic malle display. the guy tells me there is a new scent so I spray myself with three hits of this shit because, you know, why not go for the gusto. smells pretty fucking good. i think, ok, maybe this is one to buy and split with the board. go online and look at the price and this is what i get:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Picked up a sample of TF Oud Wood for some variety.

Mostly I’m still wearing TF tobacco vanille (or the knock-off), Parfums de Marley Herod and L’Occitane. Mrs. Dropbear doesn’t like me experimenting- says I have a ‘signature scent’ but im bore of the same three bottles all the time.

walker

complimentary hair mist is $ 650 a pop. love is in the air ...

walked into the neiman's for the first time in a long while just to see they had redone the fragrance counter and now have a frederic malle display. the guy tells me there is a new scent so I spray myself with three hits of this shit because, you know, why not go for the gusto. smells pretty fucking good. i think, ok, maybe this is one to buy and split with the board. go online and look at the price and this is what i get:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Noncommittal interested in Red Tobacco.

also you reminded me that in need togo back to Sephora for another Oud Wood sampler.

Rambo

Supporter
Noncommittal interested in Red Tobacco.

also you reminded me that in need togo back to Sephora for another Oud Wood sampler.
if you're at the mall they should sell both mancera and MFK at Saks and definitely sell MFK at neimans.

the more i smell this aoud lemon mint the more i like it.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter

Pimpernel Smith

Decent classics in their ranges like the Blenheim and some naff one's too. Sartorial and Boyolea are recent favourites. Savoy Steam was too perfume based for my liking, a big disappointment when it first came out. Then you have ones that drift in and drift out of production like Limes. The Portraits range is good too, I like Much Ado About The Duke, but quite expensive at Euros 225 for 75m over here. And for presentation alone the new Cairo looks a real winner conjuring up images of drinking cocktails in a fez in some embassy party whilst negotiating some gun running or smuggling opium from a very exotic east:

View attachment 32287
This by the way is exquisite, conjuring up the British museum, antique bazaars and even my kids said immediately it reminds them of a spooky antique store.

Rambo

Supporter
Tried this one today. I think i want to get in on this one as well:

gave this another try today. i'm 100% in on this. its fantastic as a daily wearer. got four separate compliments on how i smelled.

Rambo

Supporter
this slipped under the radar but apparently Creed got sold to Blackrock Investment Group. nothing good can come of this.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
gave this another try today. i'm 100% in on this. its fantastic as a daily wearer. got four separate compliments on how i smelled.
Ordered a free sample today, on your recommendation. Lemon and mint don’t sound great, but I’ll give it a go.

I also got the TF Oud Wood a few months ago. It’s nice, and/but kinda subtle. Stops me going OTT, which is a good thing though I still have a little disappointment. Definitely not your typical overpowering Oud.

Rambo

Supporter
Ordered a free sample today, on your recommendation. Lemon and mint don’t sound great, but I’ll give it a go.

I also got the TF Oud Wood a few months ago. It’s nice, and/but kinda subtle. Stops me going OTT, which is a good thing though I still have a little disappointment. Definitely not your typical overpowering Oud.
i think doghouse doghouse is a fan of that but i wasn't overwhelmed by it. there are way better ouds out there.

in the mancera did you try the red tobacco as well? i really like that one also.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
i think doghouse doghouse is a fan of that but i wasn't overwhelmed by it. there are way better ouds out there.

in the mancera did you try the red tobacco as well? i really like that one also.
I like the TF oud for it’s subtlety and forgivingness - first thing in the morning it’s easy to overdo it by accident. At the same time it’s easy to fill kinda ripped off.

if I can find the red tobacco I’ll try it. TF tobacco vanilla was a favorite of mine for years until I decided I light the tobacco notes more than the vanilla base.

Rambo

Supporter
I like the TF oud for it’s subtlety and forgivingness - first thing in the morning it’s easy to overdo it by accident. At the same time it’s easy to fill kinda ripped off.

if I can find the red tobacco I’ll try it. TF tobacco vanilla was a favorite of mine for years until I decided I light the tobacco notes more than the vanilla base.
tf tobacco vanilla is still one of my favorites so you've got good taste on that front.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter

The TF? Yeah it was nice, but I prefer MFK.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ok, guess I have to try this red tobacco. Rambo Rambo where do you order decants from? I’m a cheap bastard who normally gets free samples at the mall.

Rambo

Supporter
Ok, guess I have to try this red tobacco. Rambo Rambo where do you order decants from? I’m a cheap bastard who normally gets free samples at the mall.
often times you can call the counter at the department store that carries it and ask if they'll ship you some. you could also try contacting mancera directly.

there are plenty of well known decant sites on reddit.com/r/fragrance although i admit i gave up ordering decants online just out of general boredom so I'd do some searching before buying. basenotes.com should have some good suggestions as well.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
often times you can call the counter at the department store that carries it and ask if they'll ship you some. you could also try contacting mancera directly.

there are plenty of well known decant sites on reddit.com/r/fragrance although i admit i gave up ordering decants online just out of general boredom so I'd do some searching before buying. basenotes.com should have some good suggestions as well.
Mancera is out of stock on the Aoud lemon mint but has Tobacco Red stock. The lemon mint is out of stock in many places that carry it too. There is some on Ebay but at or above retail. There are decants available.

Rambo

Supporter
Mancera is out of stock on the Aoud lemon mint but has Tobacco Red stock. The lemon mint is out of stock in many places that carry it too. There is some on Ebay but at or above retail. There are decants available.
grey market is the way to go with Mancera. Generally you can find their stuff at up to 1/2 off.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Mancera aren’t mailing any samples right now, so I’m going to place a decant order. Anything else of theirs I should try, while I’m at it? How’s the Velvet Vanilla?

Top Bottom