The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

güero

Thank you Thruth, that was a helpful hint. Today I tried Aoud Forest, Fantastic Oud and Dark Aoud. First on a piece of paper, then Dark Aoud for real. Auod Forest is nice, a bit generic I think could be hotel soap (and not enough oud). The Fantastic Oud is indeed just that, it is just so well-rounded and interesting (bit like the Creed, if that one had oud). After a couple of hours, I might even like it more than the Dark Aoud. That one is pretty much excactly what I was looking for, it is right up with the Guerlain I tried. But the Fantastic Oud is excellent as well. Montale has still a few more ouds to try. Will also order some samples from Xerjoff Oud Stars, don't know why I haven't thought of that before, they usually have good stuff.

A couple of days ago, tried Boucheron Oud de Carthage, waste of time. Also tried Dior Oud Isfahan again, still like it a lot, probably not as much as the Fantastic Oud though. Saw (too late) that Dior also has Oud Elixir, Purple Oud and Leather Oud, on the list for more tries.

Most likely will boil down to Guerlain Oud Essentiel, Montale Dark Aoud and maybe one or two more from Montale, Xerjoff or Dior.

güero

Anyone interested in fragrances should visit the Smeller, if he gets the chance:

https://osmodrama.com/smeller/

It is tagged as an "electronic scent organ", saw a performance a couple of days ago. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Bois D'Ascese from Naomi Goodisr, supposedly genderless, but actually a very masculine fragrance:

RADICAL / MYSTICAL / STATEMENT
A captivating & reassuring smoke. Notes of tobacco & whisky, are supported by Somalian incense, cade wood, amber & cistus labdanum.
Inspiration - A wooden church nestled between the hills of New South Wales, Australia with the surrounding countryside ablaze. This perfume is a souvenir from Naomi's childhood and homage to her family's Scottish origins.

Journeyman

Supporter
You know, I've never actually smelled (sniffed?) any of the Penhaligon's fragrances.

They've got quite a few of them in the department store near my office, next to the Tom Ford concession. I should go in and sample some of them one lunchtime.

Pimpernel Smith

You know, I've never actually smelled (sniffed?) any of the Penhaligon's fragrances.

They've got quite a few of them in the department store near my office, next to the Tom Ford concession. I should go in and sample some of them one lunchtime.
Decent classics in their ranges like the Blenheim and some naff one's too. Sartorial and Boyolea are recent favourites. Savoy Steam was too perfume based for my liking, a big disappointment when it first came out. Then you have ones that drift in and drift out of production like Limes. The Portraits range is good too, I like Much Ado About The Duke, but quite expensive at Euros 225 for 75m over here. And for presentation alone the new Cairo looks a real winner conjuring up images of drinking cocktails in a fez in some embassy party whilst negotiating some gun running or smuggling opium from a very exotic east:

D9VsWl_X4AUGQQT.jpg

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
neiman marcus is having a big sale online in case there's anything you guys would like me to get and split.

Top Bottom