The HAT thread

I need a cap to keep the sun off at the pool and something I can stuff in the pocket of my rain jacket in winter. I have an intense (and irrational) dislike of American boomers and their baseball caps they wear like underwear.

I’m probably going to try one of these:

View attachment 39390View attachment 39391
Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 10.38.17 AM.png

Is the first one waxed? Just remember that they wear really warm and your head is soaked in sweat but not rain. I've had a couple but switched to ventille. Re-waxing a cap is a pain. Maybe try a ventile cap/hat. Breathable for the hot and sheds water. American trench does one as well as others.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 10.38.17 AM.png

Rule in. bucket hat if only to rule out. From American Trench too.

1625416897020.png

Neoshell. Light, waterproof, breathable. This is from Subdued Japan. But most have branding.

1625417421746.png

Neoshell from Teton Bros. Their US website (Berengia) does not stock it.

1625417553325.png

1625418269231.png

I need a cap to keep the sun off at the pool and something I can stuff in the pocket of my rain jacket in winter. I have an intense (and irrational) dislike of American boomers and their baseball caps they wear like underwear.

I’m probably going to try one of these:

View attachment 39390View attachment 39391
use your rain jacket's hood and just get a summer wide brim gardening hat for the pool and working outside.

I’ve tried different style hats in the past, but I’m just not a hat guy. I just want something to keep the elements off my head when there is a need. Preferably something that doesn’t look too dorky.

Hats with tailored clothing often look contrived these days, but that’s nothing compared to the vintage/workwear crowd. I like a lot of Jake’s stuff, but it’s a hard pass on this look for me:

F7936AA2-1B9D-4B07-90AC-795A8D881684.jpeg

Good, then he can keep them in his jacket pocket and won’t look like a Fedora Lounge Dweeb as they are nothing that he is looking for even with the pocket bulge.

Dropbear Dropbear is not ready to give up on life and wear them like the geriatrics who wear them in the US.

If you don’t mind logos then there are similar hats in waterproof fabrics in that biking-style. Most have UV protection too.
I figured if I got the cap in black I could color that little embroidered brim logo with a black sharpie.

I did not know there was a Louis Vuitton bucket hat. Laughably it is priced at £545.

As worn by a now famous loadsamoney roofer and football hooligan with a flare stuck up his arse. His might be a knock off though.

Last edited:
I bought a Raffia Stetson last weekend. I am still on the lookout for Shantung and Milan straw hats. I have a few Panama's and a Toyo.

Lawence & Foster fabrics for caps:

A few nice ones in tweed:
Lawence & Foster - tees.jpg Lawence & Foster - nidd.jpg Lawence & Foster - esk.jpg

A couple of ones available in cashmere too.

Last edited:
I popped into Lawrence and Fosters business unit in Castleford and had a black cap made. I selected the fabric and style.

Could never get away with a hat like that, nor a panama. Just not worn by anyone over here. I'd feel too self-conscious. Remember by grandfather's generation had no issues with brimmed hats. But they're well gone now.

This I do wear and has been by good-to-go throughout the summer so far:

Most people, even crazy bald heads, I see without hats even on sunny days. Not a good move for your skin health.

Could never get away with a hat like that, nor a panama. Just not worn by anyone over here. I'd feel too self-conscious. Remember by grandfather's generation had no issues with brimmed hats. But they're well gone now.

Most people, even crazy bald heads, I see without hats even on sunny days. Not a good move for your skin health.
I am thinning on top. I have been considering a linen flat cap for a few years...

In my home city I see around 10 straw hat wearers every day I venture out...

I am thinning on top. I have been considering a linen flat cap for a few years...

In my home city I see around 10 straw hat wearers every day I venture out...
I've maybe seen one in the two decades I've been here now. But likely I attend the wrong garden parties.

That Lock & Co is spot on. Good quality and looks the part.

There were quite a few straw hat wearers in the city centre today. I wished I had worn mine.

The panama is a smart casual hat and easy to pull off. I love wearing mine and plan to go to a local shop soon to buy one of the really good ones.

It is true, not many people wear hats anymore, but they are missing out. Hats protect the head, but just as important, they complete an outfit properly. For eg, l am now a low contrast person, ie, grey white hair with white skin, so if l wear navy and other colours l can look older and washed out, but if l anchor the head with a brownish cap/hat and wear reds and browns etc l can look vibrant and younger and look really good. This is why hats are really important for older people....they can help avoiding being worn by your clothes and have you disappear.

Absolutely essential for head protection. People are silly these days, they are not dressing for practical purposes, but they should.

I bought this hat today along with some Dents gloves in a local shop. Not easy to find quality items these days in the shops.

The cap is made from Scottish cashmere inside and out and is extremely comfortable. It is a decent cap, much better than most. The local shop approached the factory that makes caps for Borsalino.

The Gill cashmere cap made by Lock's special cap maker is much better made, and cheaper too, but the Gill cap fails on so many accounts. The Gill cap sits a touch better than a frisby on the head (on the head, not around the head), and no deep fit like so many online say it is; it also has this weird hump near the front where the assembled part doesn't fit together. It is my size, but it is a terrible fit. Never again. Such a pity/.

I like this cap. Surprisingly this newsboy works. My first of such caps.

20220817_194105.jpg

Lock & Co are retailing a Goldfinger 007 licenced flat cap in Escorial wool. I think I will pop down and try it on...

auric_2faa76c6-03d7-41b3-974c-fd97143d5a49_800x.jpg
AURIC-7_800x.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom