The knitwear thread

I didn't update you all here, but due to the COVID the factory I was working with couldn't assist me anymore (they downsized and refocused to existing production runs instead of new ones).

I found another factory in NYC. Still tweaking the pattern. They're limiting me to 2 colors for production run though as I'm not making very many units. One will definitely be navy. The other turtleneck color I've yet to decide. Just curious what color would interest you. Here's a picture of the available colors. The photos of the sweater in the SF thread are of a different blue (Admiral).

View attachment 37934
I'd be interested in navy. Charcoal gray with some heathering or natural (undyed) brown for the second color.
Eventhough a zip front and polo isn't my favourite knitwear, they get the most use. Quite ironic. I really need to get more zip fronts and cashmere polos.
Same here. The ability to raise and lower the collar or open or close the neck is what makes them so useful, I think.
View attachment 38421

Whoever is selling this cardigan, he obviously wants to live a Donald Trump lifestyle. He has $$$$ in his eyes. He lives for money. All his stuff is high price. Do l play ball and feed this guy's lifestyle, or do l learn to live without some of the nicer things. Frankly, I don't like the idea of paying for this guy's Rolls Royce.
At least then he could afford a background better than a subway platform.

Scored a nice one today. A NEIMAN MARCUS shawl cardigan. My first one in camel hair, so looking forward to getting it. Have been lucky, many of the vintage shawl cardigans have been in my size. Wish it was thicker, but it will do just fine.

NEIMAN MARCUS shawl cardigan 1.jpg NEIMAN MARCUS shawl cardigan 2.jpg

Thank you for sharing! Both secondary options sound good. I'll be thinking about it as I go through the process. Glad navy sounds good though. I'm hoping it will be a popular color.

I'd be interested in navy. Charcoal gray with some heathering or natural (undyed) brown for the second color.

Scored a nice one today. A NEIMAN MARCUS shawl cardigan. My first one in camel hair, so looking forward to getting it. Have been lucky, many of the vintage shawl cardigans have been in my size. Wish it was thicker, but it will do just fine.

View attachment 39665View attachment 39666
Camelhair is a great material, not so precious as cashmere but very fascinating. Nowadays much lesser used than in the past. I ordered a camel cardigan to William Lockie through a shop here in Berlin, made according my specifications: tighter fitting and horn buttons instead of the leather covered ones. It should arrive in September.

Camelhair is a great material, not so precious as cashmere but very fascinating. Nowadays much lesser used than in the past. I ordered a camel cardigan to William Lockie through a shop here in Berlin, made according my specifications: tighter fitting and horn buttons instead of the leather covered ones. It should arrive in September.

Yes, apparently camel hair comes second to cashmere. It is supposed to be very good, and certainly more luxurious than lambswool. It usually is made up in it's natural colour. Looking forward to getting it.

Last edited:
Yes, apparently camel hair comes second to cashmere. It is supposed to be very good, and certainly more luxurious than lambswool. It usually is made up in it's natural colour. Looking forward to getting it.

I have a couple of camel hair items - a thick, shawl-collar cardigan from Brooks Brothers from some years ago, and a button-in liner for my Burberry trench coat that is a couple of decades old.

They are both lovely and warm. In fact, the camel hair liner makes the trench coat so warm that I've only used it a couple of times over the past couple of decades.

I have a couple of camel hair items - a thick, shawl-collar cardigan from Brooks Brothers from some years ago, and a button-in liner for my Burberry trench coat that is a couple of decades old.

They are both lovely and warm. In fact, the camel hair liner makes the trench coat so warm that I've only used it a couple of times over the past couple of decades.
Some pictures would be much appreciated.

Bought a nice 8 ply 5 gauge made-in-Scotland zip neck jumper. Glen Oak. The seller tells me it is heavier than the William Lockie 6 ply in 5 gauge, so it should be good. I really like this style to put on in the mornings, the best style for mornings. I bought a Borrelli in the same style a couple of years ago and it is my most worn jumper, but now this, AND in cashmere. I haven't been able to snag cashmere in ages, so when l saw an 8 ply in cashmere l jumped at it! In dark blue too.

Glen Oak is very well priced, so lets hope it is at least as good as Lockie. I get a feeling l will wear this a lot.

Thruth Thruth do you like the style?

Glen Oak 8 ply zip jumper.png Glen Oak 8 ply.png

A nice looking colour.
Glen Oak 8 ply 2.png

Bought a nice 8 ply 5 gauge made-in-Scotland zip neck jumper. Glen Oak. The seller tells me it is heavier than the William Lockie 6 ply in 5 gauge, so it should be good. I really like this style to put on in the mornings, the best style for mornings. I bought a Borrelli in the same style a couple of years ago and it is my most worn jumper, but now this, AND in cashmere. I haven't been able to snag cashmere in ages, so when l saw an 8 ply in cashmere l jumped at it! In dark blue too.

Glen Oak is very well priced, so lets hope it is at least as good as Lockie. I get a feeling l will wear this a lot.

View attachment 40169View attachment 40170

A nice looking colour.
View attachment 40171
I do. I have quarter/half zips wool jumpers for casual wear. I like the neck coverage with the ability to open them to vent. Zip neck merino base layers too.

I also have Dale of Norway and Harkila zip neck jumpers with windproof liners that make for a nice cool weather outer layer or a midlayer in cold weather.

I do. I have quarter/half zips wool jumpers for casual wear. I like the neck coverage with the ability to open them to vent. Zip neck merino base layers too.

I also have Dale of Norway and Harkila zip neck jumpers with windproof liners that make for a nice cool weather outer layer or a midlayer in cold weather.

I knew you would like it, it's very manly. I also like the high collar and the ability to open the front up. I also love it because l can throw it on first thing in the morning without having to shave, yet it has a high collar (impossible with a turtleneck) . It is perfect. Other very versatile knitwear pieces are the long sleeve polo, that can also be worn in the morning with a crewneck jumper over it without needing to shave your face either.

There have been some really freezing cold days and nights lately. Been using my heavy duty multi ply knitwear a lot lately. I don't wear the 2 ply v necks so much, l am more of a cardigan man, and like wearing turtlenecks 6 months of the year. I have 7 thick shawl cardigans now (all made in Scotland), love the style.

Thruth Thruth why don't you like shawl cardigans?

Last edited:
I would call it a hybrid aran. Doesn't have the deep knitting pattern (diamonds in this case) with the robust wool needed to pull off the look. It's a watered down aran style made to be luxurious. The heritage is not there. Would have preferred the jumper without the diamond patterns (not fairdinkum troo bloo patterning), but l still don't mind it. All that matters is that it is cashmere, it has a zip, it is bloo, and it is thick and heavy.

Isnt that just a cardigan?

It's a mock collar cardigan, which, completely buttoned, would protect your neck. Like a shawl collar cardigan, and unlike a vee neck one, it's rather intended to be worn on its own, instead of under a jacket.

McGeorge wins legal battle against George, Asda.

Here is one of those Berks made by the ex Ballantyne workers. The owner tells me it is well over 2 years old, and this was the classic 4 ply they were selling, so l know this was a special jumper sold until recently in a dry finish. About 1 year ago they stopped selling these special ones made by ex Ballantyne workers. Sadly it is too big for me to buy. Have wanted one for a long time and thought this was my big chance. They are supposed to be very good, just a bit of pilling, but not likely as good as the 80's Ballantyne and before. Cashmere doesn't seem to be as good after the 80's, Loro Piana excepted.

Berk cashmere - by ex Ballantyne workers.jpg

Here is one of those Berks made by the ex Ballantyne workers. The owner tells me it is well over 2 years old, and this was the classic 4 ply they were selling, so l know this was a special jumper sold until recently in a dry finish. About 1 year ago they stopped selling these special ones made by ex Ballantyne workers. Sadly it is too big for me to buy. Have wanted one for a long time and thought this was my big chance. They are supposed to be very good, just a bit of pilling, but not likely as good as the 80's Ballantyne and before. Cashmere doesn't seem to be as good after the 80's, Loro Piana excepted.

View attachment 40635

It looks a very nice knit and colour, a pity you cannot take it and report.

As we talked in the past, I would be interested in getting some Berks too, provided that the quality really stands out like Ballantyne's one.

It looks a very nice knit and colour, a pity you cannot take it and report.

As we talked in the past, I would be interested in getting some Berks too, provided that the quality really stands out like Ballantyne's one.
Berk went into administration. I am not too sure who they are anymore.

Wish this would fit me. Weighs 2 pound 10 oz. But l do have a turtleneck about that thick, and probably more dense and even heavier.

YVES SAINT LAURENT 100% Wool
YVES SAINT LAURENT wool turtleneck 1.jpg
YVES SAINT LAURENT wool turtleneck 2.jpg

I just watched the final series of Bosch. I noticed that Titus Welliver wore several shawl collar cardigans. I have never wore one, that may change...

I just watched the final series of Bosch. I noticed that Titus Welliver wore several shawl collar cardigans. I have never wore one, that may change...

That makes me happy, l really hope you do take up shawl cardigans. They are the cardigans of cardigans.

A nice Sulka 4 ply cashmere shawl cardigan was sold recently. Wanted to buy it, but would have had to have it altered by a knit alterations experts, and the wait is currently 12 months. Would have done it, but wanted at least a 6 ply to make it all worth while.
Sulka 4 ply shawl cardigan - orange 1.jpg

Bought yesterday, the classic veeneck cashmere jumper, the Oxton by William Lockie. The green colour (a tad brighter in reality) is called Foliage.

20210828_095206.jpg

Do you have a German fit there?

There's a Dutch fit which is made for taller builds and it's ideal for me. In comparison, their standard fit has room for a pot belly.

Frankly not aware of this. The fit is relatively slim though, no room for pot bellies. The size is a European one, for the EU market.

IL Borgo cashmere job, quite a 80s casual scene look. But I really like it. Seen it on Strasburgo's website but they only go upto a 50.
STB0121F0343_pz_c101.jpg

View attachment 40169View attachment 40170

A nice looking colour.
View attachment 40171

UPDATE

I have worn my jumper (above) for the last 2 - 3 weeks. It looks a mess. It has pilled EVERYWHERE. Hundreds of pills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom