The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

GUEST_7c594cd8-8883-44e8-98c0-4baa0fd62d5d

Really not much to this.

A DC high school student is murdered while working at his job at a coffee spot. The 2 lead actors and fellow students, AE & CGM, embark on a quest to find out who the killer is. Well.....AE more than CGM.

It's a really simple plot/movie. Nothing groundbreaking or even the least bit exciting.

Really not much to say.

I have never seen CGM in anything prior to this. I will say that she is cute.

1.5/5!

FIL_1x1-1-300x300.jpg

The absolutely gorgeous Christina Milian plays an overworked/under appreciated SF home designer. When relationship and work stress gets to her, she enters an online contest to win an inn in New Zealand.

Guess what....when all else fails, she is the winner. She ditches SF for NZ and arrives to find a run down inn....but a welcoming little town.....for the most part.

She teams up with a local contractor to renovate the property and then is torn....stay or leave.

This is a Lifetime type of flick. I didn't hate it.

2.5/5.

MV5BZTJhMzk5NTUtMWVlYi00MWFhLTg2MTMtZDZmODI2NjUzN2VmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Take academy award winner Denzel Washington, academy award winner Jodie Foster and academy award winner Spike Lee....throw in the brilliant Clive Owen, Willem Dafoe and some guy named Christopher Plummer...and what do you get? Inside Man.

Now, try to remix that flick! What do you get? Inside Man Most Wanted aka Inside Man JV.

Same basic premise.....band of robbers tries to knock off the Fed Reserve in NYC. The NYPD hostage contact teams up with the FBI to resolve the standoff. They ain't no Clive vs Denzel/Jodie.

Really...ABSOLUTELY no need to remix the original! Absolutely no need to try.

I mean, I did watch it until the end. But no need to revisit.

1.5/5.

‘Death of a Gentleman’

A film about money,power and corruption in cricket. The huge role of India in shaping the game. Five day test matches declining in favour of more popular limited over games. India, England and Australia get biggest share of the cake, while other good cricketing sides like the West Indies miss out. Five day cricket that ends in a draw is a hard sell anyway - though Test matches are hugely popular in England. It’s really County cricket that is in the doldrums.

47c9de6536ac733af0103ab82bdb2806.jpg

I just watched this flick based on the recent film that I saw and the recs. It's based on a true story.

CGM plays a young NY Post writer who is living life, dealing with boyfriend issues and meeting deadlines. Her parents are divorced....but all is AOK as she looks to impress the Post's management and get her big break.

Then her world collapses! She starts to experience some crazy medical issues and then has 2-3 seizures. She is rushed to the hospital and when she is discharged, her life/body spins out of control!

Schizophrenia? Bi polar? Who knows! The doctors don't seem to know as all of her tests come back negative. Her parents panic as they are advised to place her in a mental hospital.

Luckily one doctor doesn't give up and reaches out to a past colleague for advice.

I must say....before this wknd, I had never seen/remembered anything that CGM was in. She CARRIED this flick....100%. Amazing performance!

It's moving! It's inspiring! It's a very good flick.

4/5!

Take academy award winner Denzel Washington, academy award winner Jodie Foster and academy award winner Spike Lee....throw in the brilliant Clive Owen, Willem Dafoe and some guy named Christopher Plummer...and what do you get? Inside Man.

Now, try to remix that flick! What do you get? Inside Man Most Wanted aka Inside Man JV.

Same basic premise.....band of robbers tries to knock off the Fed Reserve in NYC. The NYPD hostage contact teams up with the FBI to resolve the standoff. They ain't no Clive vs Denzel/Jodie.

Really...ABSOLUTELY no need to remix the original! Absolutely no need to try.

I mean, I did watch it until the end. But no need to revisit.

1.5/5.

Isn't this a straight to video remake or sequel with some of the black/white, male/female roles mixed up?

‘Death of a Gentleman’

A film about money,power and corruption in cricket. The huge role of India in shaping the game. Five day test matches declining in favour of more popular limited over games. India, England and Australia get biggest share of the cake, while other good cricketing sides like the West Indies miss out. Five day cricket that ends in a draw is a hard sell anyway - though Test matches are hugely popular in England. It’s really County cricket that is in the doldrums.

Aren't the Windies playing Test in England right now?

Maybe PM Boris Johnson can do something about the doldrums.

Aren't the Windies playing Test in England right now?

Maybe PM Boris Johnson can do something about the doldrums.
Yes they are. Test matches have not been eliminated but money power forces smaller sides into accepting changes that suit the man behind Indian cricket. India could just breakaway and not really bother with international competition. A lot of professionals now make good money from playing in India.

Isn't this a straight to video remake or sequel with some of the black/white, male/female roles mixed up?

Yeah. Caught it on Netflix. Didn't even know there was a JV part 2.

The FBI contact is a white woman. NYPD dude is black. Main crook is also a white woman.

61I%2B0xLyrWL._SL1200_.jpg

Now I am a boxing FAN! Did a lil' amateur boxing back in the day.

I have seen Gatti, Ward, Zab, Cotto, Trinidad, Mayorga, Margarito, GGG, etc fight live. I try to make it to just about every big fight at MSG and Atlantic City, NJ...when AC was a fight destination. I watch them all on TV when I can't make it.

But I haven't really watched many boxing flicks. Yeah...saw Rocky 1-3. Saw Ali once(Will Smith). Saw Southpaw(I think) and The Fighter(I know.) I have never seen Raging Bull! Imagine that!

I revisited MDB last night. I had seen it once and also watched parts of it here and there. Last night, I caught 100% of it again.

The absolutely amazing Hilary Swank(Jodie Foster is #1 to me....HS is not far behind) plays a 30-ish "girl" fighter who is looking to convince the also brilliant, Clint Eastwood(he also directed), who owns a local gym, to train her. As I said...he doesn't train "girls!"

Morgan Freeman(yep.....3 of the best doing it in this flick) plays an old school C fighter who works/lives in Clint's gym basically running the place. He spots something in HS's character. Maybe it is the late nights at the gym. Maybe it is the dedication. Maybe it's just that thing!

Clint isn't having it......but gets swayed and starts to train/manage HS. Guess what? She is good! She starts to beat the fighters that Clint didn't think she would at this stage in her career!

She wants a shot at the "title"! After some negotiating, Clint moves her up and she gets her chance!

H Swank was one of the best actresses back then...and is probably still now.
M Freeman often plays the 2nd role...but does it so well.
Mr Eastwood...well.....enough said!

All 3 won Academy awards for this flick:

HS- Best Actress
MF- Best Supporting Actor
CE- Best Pic and best director.

Simply brilliant. It's a boxing flick and also a emotional life flick. Should not be missed.

4.5/5!

MV5BMTdhYTAzNWItYjkzNC00ZTIyLWFiMzctOGQxNTQ1ZGU5NzQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMTQ4NjE@._V1_.jpg

The Trainspotting post up-thread got me thinking about Kelly Macdonald. I revisited this today on Youtube. I have probably seen it 5 times.

The amazing Bill Nighy toils along as part of the senior UK finance/govt department. Kelly Macdonald(also amazing) is regular chica going about her biz. They meet in a cafe.

Bill's character is awkward. His job is his life. After the initial meeting, he gets up the courage to ask Kelly's character out to lunch. She is down.

Wait.....Bill is getting ready to head off to a conference in Iceland. Well, it's the G-8 conference where world matters are decided. He take another chance and asks Kelly if she would like to come. Pfft. Yup!

As Kelly learns about the decisions that are to be made at the G-8, she voices her opinion as she starts to fall for Bill. His boss, the solid Ken Stott, is not happy....either are his colleagues.

What does it take to possibly change the world? This is a love meets life story!

I remembered how much I liked this film when I first saw it after the TS post upthread. It didn't disappoint.

4/5.

(Copy/pasted from another forum so excuse the "upthread" ref.)

The Old Guard: Firstly, I’ll be upfront: I hate superhero films. This was quite engaging. It moved along at a fair clip with good character development and action. It felt very much like it was intended to be the first on a long franchise and not a stand-alone movie. 3/5.

The Old Guard: Firstly, I’ll be upfront: I hate superhero films. This was quite engaging. It moved along at a fair clip with good character development and action. It felt very much like it was intended to be the first on a long franchise and not a stand-alone movie. 3/5.
the comic was much better. they sort of sanitized it down for tv.

The Mulan remake is coming straight to Disney+ - why would anyone contemplate paying $29.99 for one movie when the entire service is what...$9? 3x the monthly price.

The Mulan remake is coming straight to Disney+ - why would anyone contemplate paying $29.99 for one movie when the entire service is what...$9? 3x the monthly price.

The Hollyweird business model is not immune to the virus.

The future may well be straight to streaming services which spells death to the star system.

Joio Rabbit, a brilliant black feel good comedy that shows once again in the modern world the best way to beat Nazism is to take the piss out of the absurdity of it. Acting, script and mise en scene is superb throughout including the use of the final song.

I'm watching The Gentleman. Again with my limited attention span it will take me at least four attempts to finish it but so far seeing Hugh Grant deviate from his usual accent is fun.

The Peanut Butter Falcon. 4/5. Twain-like travel film of a Down syndrome kid and red neck shitkicker on the run, joined by the cute Dakota Fanning. Nothing too original here, but well made, good cast and tight production.

Just watched Lawless (2012) about moonshiners during prohibition with Tom Hardy, Shia LeBoeuf (irritating as per normal), Jessica Chastain, Garry Oldman and written by Nick Cave. Beautiful cinematography, good store (based on true events) and I'm surprised I was unaware of it.

Worth a watch. 8/10

Watched Love Story for the first time with the missus and I don't think I've watched it since the late 1980s. It must be good, because my missus doesn't do old films, so for a film from 1970, that's a real winner.

Her thoughts was why are they so English?

finally saw the new harley quinn movie because it was on hbo. man, what a complete turd. i cant understand how this thing got any good reviews at all.

finally saw the new harley quinn movie because it was on hbo. man, what a complete turd. i cant understand how this thing got any good reviews at all.

Just watched. Can confirm.

I'm trying to watch this movie - Molly's Game. It's 2 hours so it'll take me three attempts plus the two I already used the past two nights to finish it. I can't get around Idris Elba's accent.

In the middle of watching Sacco & Vanzetti. Pretty intriguing so far, though I'm not too far in. Hoping I can finish it before the end of the day.

The Man of La Mancha. First time watching it since I was about 10 and actually enjoying it a lot.

Rope2.jpg

Caught this the other night on Youtube.

2 boarding school friends kill(strangle) another in their swanky NYC apartment. Why? They are "superior" and murder and the consequences should not apply.

How to cover it up? Host a dinner party that evening and invite the dead dude's parents, his fiance, their boarding school headmaster and a few others....including the dead man.

When he doesn't show....that's their alibi. Oh....the dead body is hidden in the apartment during the dinner.

The group gets together at dinner and questions start to arise. Why hasn't the dead dude arrived? Where is he? WTF is going on?

Mr. Stewart plays the headmaster and....

Well, watch and see.

I enjoyed this. Solid 3.9/5.

Love+Guaranteed+cover.jpg

Caught this on Netflix over the wknd. Was just looking for something to watch and this popped up on my "list" and I thought I would give it a shot.

Rachel Leigh Cook is the owner of a small law firm. She is struggling to make ends meet when Damon Wayans Jr's character appears looking for representation.

He wants to sue a dating site which "guarantees love". Problem? DW has been on close to 1000 dates and found nada. Since RLC's firm is struggling to make ends meet and this could be a big payday...she takes the case and figures that the ends will be meeting like a MOFO if they win.

Heather Graham plays the owner of the website. She wants to play hardball and I would be more than happy to be the batter!

What happens as the court case gets closer? Well....this ain't a Hitchcock flick!

This is a romantic/comedy that somewhat delivers as long as you are not expecting anything sensational. RLC is still cute at 40!

I tend to give flicks like this a little more leeway.....

2.75/5.

This is a romantic/comedy that somewhat delivers as long as you are not expecting anything sensational. RLC is still cute at 40!

First it was Dropbear's crush on a 39 year old Eliza Dushku and now you with a 40 year old. This is getting close to that frigid stage that P. Smith warned about.

Rope2.jpg

2 boarding school friends kill(strangle) another in their swanky NYC apartment. Why? They are "superior" and murder and the consequences should not apply.

Sounds a bit like the Leopold and Loeb murder (although they didn't host a dinner party afterwards).

I don't think that I've ever heard of this Hitchcock movie - it's certainly not one of his better-known ones.

Sounds a bit like the Leopold and Loeb murder (although they didn't host a dinner party afterwards).

I don't think that I've ever heard of this Hitchcock movie - it's certainly not one of his better-known ones.

Someone mentioned that his daughter had the rights to the movie and held it back from release for many years.

Rope2.jpg

How to cover it up? Host a dinner party that evening and invite the dead dude's parents, his fiance, their boarding school headmaster and a few others....including the dead man.

When he doesn't show....that's their alibi. Oh....the dead body is hidden in the apartment during the dinner.

The group gets together at dinner and questions start to arise. Why hasn't the dead dude arrived? Where is he? WTF is going on?

Mr. Stewart plays the headmaster and....

Well, watch and see.

I enjoyed this. Solid 3.9/5.

A classic, the gay elements in the play were taken out of the film. In the play the killers had had a gay affairs with the professor played by James Stewart. It all looks like one take, but there's 10 very cleverly concealed ones.

Just finished rewatching the 1979 film on London cabbies, The Knowledge. A great little film with the first use of a steadicam by Euston Films.

‘I’m thinking of ending things’

Unless you have read the book you will need to go online afterwards to see what is supposed to have happened.

Long and bleak.

Some good actors though. Toni Colette. David Thewlis was a supposed to be an American farmer but still unaccountably had an English accent. Plemons is in lots of things nowadays.

I finally watched A Star Is Born.

The Bradley Cooper character is too familiar for comfort.

I heard most of the songs before so it was neat to see them in context of the story. Not sure if Lady Gaga is playing herself there with the made up Ally persona.

The English manager was a real twat. I would have took a swung at him.

#Alive

Korean zombie film. Nothing unique or noteworthy but it will kill 90 minutes if that is what you need. 3/5

The Devil All the Time, a Netflix original was pretty meh. 6/10

There's a movie about Comey and Trump? Why wouldn't I watch the real thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom