The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

What did you think of it?

As you say, it was an excellent film - very well shot, dramatic setting, great actors and so on.

Hard to watch at times, though, due to the subject matter - the tension, the descent into drunken madness and violence.

Watched recently:

- John Carpenter's Starman: Recommended, especially the synth soundtrack, fun, goofy 80's flick.
- Soldier (w/Kurt Russell): Recommended, cuz Kurt Russell, otherwise it is trash. Pauly Chase Pauly Chase makes an appearance :p
- Genius: Albert Einstein: Not Recommended, perhaps it is something to watch while in lockdown? Wardrobe work looked great and loved seeing pipe smoking.

Recently re-watched:

1990 TMNT: Recommended, dare I say the most faithful comic adaptation ever?

Black Ops: low budget, badly acted Sci Fi/horror film with a fairly clever Twilight Zone type premise. Time portals, ground hog days, Hell, angles of death and a staircase that Sisyphus would be proud of. 7/10

The Ritual. Scandinavian Blair Witch Project. Surprisingly well made and genuinely eerie.
8.5/10

Wife put on Dream Girls a couple days ago, the music was fantastic! Recommended.

A Call To Spy.

"Nazi forces now occupy Poland, Denmark, Austria, Norway, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Yugoslavia, Greece, and northern France. Hitler is now poised to cross the English Channel."

...not sure why people questioned why the half Indian woman volunteered. Britain and the Commonwealth stood alone against facism and the axis at that time.

oLo. A family movie. Would you let your kid watch Big Trouble in Little China?
I would, but I fear already they are too old. But I went to the cinema to watch it when it first came out. Happy days.
Lol, sounds like The Dead Zone.
What a great film that is. Sadly, I'm not getting much traction on the horror film front with my kids.

Classics like The Shining and Christine they now deem not scary enough. So anything I recommend automatically gets the thumbs down. I recommended them Ghost Story which was met with pulled faces:

A Call To Spy.

"Nazi forces now occupy Poland, Denmark, Austria, Norway, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Yugoslavia, Greece, and northern France. Hitler is now poised to cross the English Channel."

...not sure why people questioned why the half Indian woman volunteered. Britain and the Commonwealth stood alone against facism and the axis at that time.
Who questioned that? Is it in the film, or critics? Thanks.

And The Spectator...

breaking.jpg

Four Bloomington, Indiana best friends(Dave, Mike, Cyril and Moocher) graduate from high school and really have no plans. They don't intend to leave the small town and just really want to live life and chill.

On the other side are the well off graduates who plan for college and ridicule the four friends....who never back down.

Dave is a champion cyclist and dreams of all things Italian...and competing with/against the Italian national team. His 3 friends rally him to race with them in the Indiana University Little 500 bike race to show those stuck up locals. Reluctantly, he does.

He builds their bike from scratch and they enter as underdogs against the "stacked" college bound teams. What happens during the race is major part of the movie....but the tale that gets us there is as good as it gets(< great name for a movie!)

Love, family drama, small town rivalries, coming of age...this flick has all of that and then some.

If you haven't seen this gem, do take a look! I never get tired of it.

4.75/5.

There was a horrendously Woke piece on this film in The Telegraph yesterday. I do hope it's good, but it has high bench mark against the 1961 film.
breaking.jpg

Four Bloomington, Indiana best friends(Dave, Mike, Cyril and Moocher) graduate from high school and really have no plans. They don't intend to leave the small town and just really want to live life and chill.

On the other side are the well off graduates who plan for college and ridicule the four friends....who never back down.

Dave is a champion cyclist and dreams of all things Italian...and competing with/against the Italian national team. His 3 friends rally him to race with them in the Indiana University Little 500 bike race to show those stuck up locals. Reluctantly, he does.

He builds their bike from scratch and they enter as underdogs against the "stacked" college bound teams. What happens during the race is major part of the movie....but the tale that gets us there is as good as it gets(< great name for a movie!)

Love, family drama, small town rivalries, coming of age...this flick has all of that and then some.

If you haven't seen this gem, do take a look! I never get tired of it.

4.75/5.
It's one my top coming of age films. I saw it back in 1980 not long after it first came out on BBC Two and left a good impression. Another one around the same time was Big Wednesday might have been part of series of coming of age films. These are films that stay with you for life.

The Bounty with Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh and a very young looking Mel Gibson. Lots of other top actors in lesser roles, great screenplay by Robert Bolt and superbly directed by Roger Donaldson. Another great film from the 80s.

^Didn't realise that Bolt wrote the screenplay.

I remember seeing it on video and enjoying it as a child, but I don't think that it was a commercial success, despite the great cast.

^Didn't realise that Bolt wrote the screenplay.

I remember seeing it on video and enjoying it as a child, but I don't think that it was a commercial success, despite the great cast.
It wasn't far off breaking even, perhaps, the $4 million they spent on the replica of The Bounty complete with design faults that made it roll and give everyone bad sea sickness, was not quite a good idea. I still think the film is magnificent.

"The only thing that matters is that we survive. That's all. Look around you, it's like Custer's last stand. It's killed or be killed. Now, listen to me, son. Listen, we made this city. We're not having it taken away from us by people who come here illegally or people who can’t stop making babies."

Widows. By the Robert Duvall character.

Likely will get a subscription to that Mubi arthouse channel again. The missus stopped it, but I liked it, you have a month worth of some decent films, some you've seen and others you know are not for you, but for about €9.99 there's lots of great stuff e.g. this month Chaplin's The Great Dictator.

The BFI had a streaming service for awhile but was not available here in the Netherlands. Not sure it's available now.

Does anybody have any recommendation for quality arthouse streaming services?

Thanks!

The Criterion channel is superb, but I’m not sure if it is available in Europe/outside the U.S., but I guess you could always use a VPN...

I knew a work mate once. Born in Rhodesia. Grew up in Kenya. Father started out as a railroad man in Canada before moving.

81u6BnxfpeL._SY445_.jpg

Caught this on Netflix this afternoon.

In a sleepy Kentucky town, people go to work, kids go to school and families go to church. However, there is something haunting the town: the unsolved murders of 10 women over a decade ago.

A teen starts to ask questions and gets help from another teen who lost her mother to the killer.

What they find out leads to a revelation that both of them don't expect.

This was watchable...but nothing special.

2.5/5.

turns out this was the final season of line of duty. the finale episode was really really really really really fucking bad. like bad bad. when i first watched it i thought they just left a cliffhanger for the next season. this was game of thrones level bad of an ending. still, overall i'd say the series was worth the watch.

city on a hill season 2 lacks a bit of punch of season 1 but its been a decent watch so far.

haven't gotten around to season 3 of girlfriend experience as of yet.

I-care-a-lot-Netflix_600.jpg

I REALLY wanted to like this. I did.

RP plays a "hustler" who petitions the courts to gain guardianship over older people with no family/friends/children. She gets a doctor(who is in cahoots) to write up a document saying that the person is not capable of caring for themselves. She then ships the person to a home that has a manager who is also in cahoots with RP.

All is AOK until she targets the wrong older woman. See, that woman has a shady past and the people who are tied to her come looking.

Some of this is a lead up to a nice ending....and some is just silly.

Watchable, but nothing worth revisiting.

2/5.

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2VhOTRjZWM4LTk1YTEtNGRlYi1hZTc2LTc1NjJlZDI0NjA3Ny53ZWJw

A US citizen and his girlfriend are on vacation and the GF gets killed. The dude then becomes a CIA agent to get back at the people behind the mass murder.

He doesn't really follow orders but gets results. He works with Michael Keaton to identify and demolish some bad guys

This was a drawn out almost 2 hour "spy" flick that was not anything special. I would not need to ever watch this again.

2/5.

I remember that movie when it came out because they bigged up Michael keaton but how did I miss Shiva Negar...

Are Brits really that condescending?

I'm told I am sarcastic but that poor American girl doesn't deserve that censure.

Oxygen. 3.5/5. Fairly predictable but entertaining Scandinavian sci-fi.

This Mosul movie is pretty hard to watch on Netflix. Pretty hard as in soul crushing.

Apparently the remnants of ISIS started threatening the actors after its release for participating in the movie.

This Mosul movie is pretty hard to watch on Netflix. Pretty hard as in soul crushing.

Apparently the remnants of ISIS started threatening the actors after its release for participating in the movie.
Being that there's Islamist cells in every city and major town in the West, that's more than a distinct possibility.

Finished Mosul. Three tries to finish.

"Hey infidels, the soldiers of the Islamic State are still everywhere. We will remain and expand. We will cut your heads off. Your supporters are the Agents of the Cross. Your women will be ours. And your children, cubs of the caliphate. God willing."

"F@ck you and your so called 'state'. Son of a bitch. We're the ones coming for you."

Red Dawn (the remake). How the hell did this film ever get made? It is so bad that I can’t look away. 3/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom