The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

The new Sopranos movie was like a bad flashback episode. 3/5

Just give us the goods.

Also, Mortal Kombat is shite.
It's a mixed bag. When it's good, it's very good, when it's bad, it's cringeworthy. Beautiful cinematography and the location scouts have done an excellent job as usual. Norway's Atlantic Ocean Road makes an appearance especially its famous bridge.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but with caveats.

Ana de Armas' all-to-short scene is very enjoyable.

maxresdefault.jpg

Friday: Made it about 1/2 way through this and lost interest. Someone tell me that it is worth re-starting and watching until the end....

3rd time trying to finish Black Widow. Why is the movie allegedly about Russians filled with British actors and actresses?

Screen-Shot-2021-09-29-at-24233-PM.png

Caught this on Netflix today.

DC goes in on current events...specifically the LGBTQ community and "their" reactions to his jokes. He weaves us through the negative feedback that he has received and the fact that he has no hatred for anyone.

Of course, a DC special wouldn't be complete with relevant stories that just add to the set.

His best stuff? Nope. I put 'Killin' Them Softly' up there. Jokes from start to finish? No, he is more so getting stuff off his chest while entertaining the masses. Solid stuff? Of course...it's DC.

(An absolutely brilliant ending to this set and when the credits roll.)

3.75/5.

Last edited:
I watched this with my brother, two nights ago and it was mostly cringe and his simpering fans didn't do him any favours. I was drunk and only laughed three times.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-29-at-24233-PM.png

Caught this on Netflix today.

DC goes in on current events...specifically the LGBTQ community and "their" reactions to his jokes. He weaves us through the negative feedback that he has received and the fact that he has no hatred for anyone.

Of course, a DC special wouldn't be complete with relevant stories that just add to the set.

His best stuff? Nope. I put 'Killin' Them Softly' up there. Jokes from start to finish? No, he is more so getting stuff off his chest while entertaining the masses. Solid stuff? Of course...it's DC.

(An absolutely brilliant ending to this set and when the credits roll.)

3.75/5.
I'm interested in watching because the feigned woke controversy. There's a number of ageing comedians they're trying to cancel in the UK at present: Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson. They did that with Benny Hill at the peak of his international success back in the 80s.

Apparently, the latest Ricky Gervais tour is equally relentless in his taking the piss out of the woke and LGBTQueer identity narratives. But he's a bit too big and couldn't give a fuck to get cancelled.

Black Widow.

First up, I generally fucking hate superhero stories. Dumb Hollywood jingoistic drivel.

My oldest is getting into them all and I watched Loki with him, which didn’t suck. Figured I’d perv on Scarlet Johansen in a cat suit when I asked me to watch this one with him.

It might just be the warm fuzzies from the wine and snuggling with the kids on the couch, but I enjoyed this one. Fast pace, self referential humour and some interesting characters. The lot is still full of cliches but Johansen looks nice.

7/10.

The lot is still full of cliches but Johansen looks nice.

I thought she looked better in The Island and In Good Company and has been slowly declining since. As someone who had kids and still looks like that it's commendable.

Cliches: Natasha Romanoff should really be Natasha Romanova for females.

I thought she looked better in The Island and In Good Company and has been slowly declining since. As someone who had kids and still looks like that it's commendable.

Cliches: Natasha Romanoff should really be Natasha Romanova for females.

All true, but I fell for her in Lost In Translation and she has aged with me.

scarlett johansson film GIF

One of my favorite movies, no contest (And Bill Murray of course my favorite actor)
And a haunting soundtrack by Kevin Shields (laziest rock star in the world) from My Bloody Valentine

I couldnt get into that movie, sorry.

Just watched "Wrath of man" I usually like Guy Ritchie/jason Statham combination but not this time.

Statham wears a couple of nice shawl cardigans and is perennial Harrington. This must be the third movie with one.

For family movie night tonight I’m lobbying for the new Dune film, but I’ll probably get outvoted.

It follows (2015)

Low budget, slow burn horror that it really well made and so full of atmosphere. 7.5/10

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema.
Saw the Queen and Elton John musical biopics in the cinema, which I enjoyed the experience very much. But most of the time, I'm happy with the widescreen home experience now. You have to drive, pay for the car park, or park 30 minutes walk away. Is it worth it? The new Bond film zero interest in seeing that on the big screen.

A good art house season I get tempted, especially if it's older films. But has to be something special, to tempt me.

A few years ago, I took the kids to see The Wizard of Oz, the original 1939 version and that was mega-impressive in the cinema. We were the only ones in there, except for an elderly lady. Impressive and recommended. Much better than on Blu-ray.

A few years ago, I took the kids to see The Wizard of Oz, the original 1939 version and that was mega-impressive in the cinema. We were the only ones in there, except for an elderly lady. Impressive and recommended. Much better than on Blu-ray.

Yes, pre-COVID, our local cinema did mid-week evening screenings of some classic movies. I took my daughter to see "Singin' in the Rain" and "It's a Wonderful Life" and she (as a 10 - 11 year old) absolutely loved them. I was hoping they'd show Casablanca but no luck.

Yes, pre-COVID, our local cinema did mid-week evening screenings of some classic movies. I took my daughter to see "Singin' in the Rain" and "It's a Wonderful Life" and she (as a 10 - 11 year old) absolutely loved them. I was hoping they'd show Casablanca but no luck.
And that is how I saw Rebel Without a Cause, The Wild One, The Maltese Falcon and Gone Wirh the Wind as an early teenager with my mum!

Rebel was the best - I still remember there were a bunch of rockabilly types in the old cinema who seemed to have memorised all the dialogue.

The Eternals. I’m just not into these sorts of films, but if you are I imagine this would rank highly. Good ensemble cast and some beautiful locations.

Black Mass the crime biography of Whitey Bulger from 2015 with Johnny Depp as the gangster. Good, but the accents were hard to follow in parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom