The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

Will have to re-watch The Cruel Sea.

Coincidentally, watched Dunkirk on the weekend. Pretty good.
Dunkirk is one my youngest's favorite films, on the strength of the that, I tried to get her watch The Thin Red Line. Having none of that. 30 minutes in and it was this too art house for me. For me, I could hardly understand the talking in Dunkirk. Good film though.

Dunkirk is one my youngest's favorite films, on the strength of the that, I tried to get her watch The Thin Red Line. Having none of that. 30 minutes in and it was this too art house for me. For me, I could hardly understand the talking in Dunkirk. Good film though.

Yeah the audio is sometimes woeful. He'll come around to Thin Red. It is one of the greats.

watched the new cronenberg Crimes of the Future. even for cronenberg, this was REALLY fucking odd. thought the plot was a bit too esoteric and the storyline just sort of plodded along. unless you're really into the surreal i'd probably skip this one.

Last Night in Soho was a fun chicks’ ghost story, set in 60s and modern Soho. The ending is a little wonky but overall I thought it was a good, with rich and saturated cinematography and a cool soundtrack. 7.5/10

Watching The Contractor on Amazon Prime. Chris Pine is 41? He looks a lot older than his Star Trek days in the 2010s.

Wow, the Elvis biopic, first rate. Exceptionally good and recommended, with Baz Luhrmann directing the musical scenes are outstanding and keep the narrative flowing. Austin Butler nails Elvis and Tom Hanks is great too.

girl-in-the-picture-netflix.jpg

Anyone finish this? I am 20 minutes in and dozing off. Worth pushing through?

hqdefault.jpg

Caught this today.

This is a speech that he gave at his performing arts high school after they announced that they would name the theater after him.

It's not so much standup as it is a reflection on the school, how it helped shape his career and just some overall reflection.

DC can command a stage and this is def worth a look. It only runs appr 35 minutes.

After watching Love and Gelato on Netflix, I decided to watch A Perfect Pairing about some Californian girl going to some sheep farm / vine yard (not sure how that combination works) in Australia. Aussies wear cowboy hats? There are snakes everywhere? Everything looks very green. I thought there were vast deserts on the continent.

The Gray Man on Netflix. I reckon I need a third viewing to get to the end.

It was criticised on NBC but mostly because they said Netflix's quality is inconsistent. Their big money bets mostly fizzle. And they never bothered to promote this movie.

So far it seems like your typical action/spy movie.

It was criticised on NBC but mostly because they said Netflix's quality is inconsistent. Their big money bets mostly fizzle. And they never bothered to promote this movie.

It's not one of those serious/comedy flicks....is it?

They seem to be getting desperate now. As you scan through the Netflix offerings you come across Mutiny on The Buses in several different sections: Comedies, British Films, Dated and Definitely Not Classic, etc, etc. I find that really annoying.

I'll watch the next Better Call Saul this evening. That's gone right off the boil.

What else? Midway, that's pretty wooden in parts now i.e. the relationship between Charlton Heston character and his son.

Truly woeful flick.

I still have an hour to go and spin offs and a sequel are on order. Good to know. The final hour might be the the most compelling yet.

Tenet is on Netflix. Did anyone actually enjoy this film or was it needlessly complex?

The cameo from Michael Caine was funny though:

Michael Crosby : Look, no offense, but in this world, where someone is claiming to be a billionaire, Brooks Brothers won't cut it.

The Protagonist : I'm assuming I'm on a budget.

Michael Crosby : Save the world, then we'll balance the books. Can I recommend a tailor?

The Protagonist : I'll manage. You British don't have a monopoly on snobbery, you know.

Michael Crosby : Well, not a monopoly. More of a controlling interest

I watched Wedding Season with Pallavi Sharda. Girl gets set up with boy by her mother. They both pretend to go out as a couple and then of course fall in love. Then some mistaken/secret identity stuff happens that causes them to fall out and then they fall back in. The end.

But clearly you need to watch it for Pallavi Sharda

Pallavi-Sharda-1497777290.jpg

Prey was a lot of fun. Nice cinematography and a fast moving story. Amber Midthunder is wonderfully expressive, though there is very little dialogue in the film. 8/10.

Prey was a lot of fun. Nice cinematography and a fast moving story. Amber Midthunder is wonderfully expressive, though there is very little dialogue in the film. 8/10.
just downloaded it. looking forward to it more and more after seeing the reviews.

Made in Italy. Liam Neeson finally taking on a role where he isn't the angry man seeking vigilante justice.

He's only 68 but his hands shaked a bit at the end when he brought out a mobile phone to show his on screen son he was finally on social media.

MV5BODI4YjE3YTItNWUyMC00NThhLThiMDUtZDhmNDdiNDM5ZTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEyMTk0MzM@._V1_.jpg

Started watching this sometime last week. Had to stop. It's basically the 2 of them trading one liners before they fall in love.

Ms fxh went to see him do Johnny Cash. Said he was very good.
I’m currently reading Boy on Fire, covering the early life of Nick Cave in Wangaratta and Melbourne in the mid 70s. I’m sure there are same names and places familiar to you.

47FE0446-9578-483E-8F88-483B49C9B1D3.jpeg

Found this on Netflix. 2016 action-comedy about two bumbling private investigators set in 1979. Crowe was starting to get fat. It has a few funny scenes and a mystery that hold the plot together. A bit ham fisted overall but watchable. 6/10

DDDD14D0-B978-4B29-B496-8705635C2F9C.jpeg

This was surprisingly entertaining. Good guy caught between corrupt FBI, nypd, the Polish mob and s corrupt prison guard. It’s a high tension drama for most of the film, before drifting into some OTT action at the end. Solid cast and a fast paced story. De Aramas doesn’t shine in this. The final scene is a set-up for a sequel, which is disappointing. 7/10

Attachments

• C00EDB57-A696-4056-897F-D0E140D7DDF5.jpeg
    C00EDB57-A696-4056-897F-D0E140D7DDF5.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
Watched Hugh Bonneville play a villain in I Came By. I chose it on Netflix because I thought it was another drama featuring him. I've never seen him in anything but dramas and comedies.

The premise seems a bit ludicrous. I don't know how many young men and a woman he was able to physically over power in the movie as a middle aged judge.

Watched Hugh Bonneville play a villain in I Came By. I chose it on Netflix because I thought it was another drama featuring him. I've never seen him in anything but dramas and comedies.

The premise seems a bit ludicrous. I don't know how many young men and a woman he was able to physically over power in the movie as a middle aged judge.
That was an odd little film

FotoJet-29-26.jpg

This documentary/movie tells the story of the anthrax attacks that started in the US a week after 9/11.

It meshes acting with real footage and interviews of all of the key players as the hunt for the perpetrator.

Solid watch.

ENUS_UntoldBasketball_4x5_PRE_thumbnail-e1658960401652.jpeg

Also caught this recently.

And1 was a sneaker/apparel/basketball company that wanted to compete with Nike. They took the b-ball world by storm with their mix tapes, tournaments and influence.

This tells the story of their sudden rise and downfall through the eyes of the players, owners and fans.

Very good watch!

5184JYCKAEL._SY445_.jpg

When people in a small town start to notice change in their relatives and friends, Dr. Miles Bennell is on the case.

People aren't themselves. The doc can only deduce that it is sone kind of delusion. However, when he sees actual pods that have almost formed into the actual likeness of some of those people, panic is in the air!

Along with a few close friends, he tries to alert the authorities and avoid turning into a doppelgänger with no feelings.

This 1956 flicks is very good. The original is often the best!

4/5!

2023? Are you from the future? Can you tell me some lottery numbers?
It will be released in 2023. Have you ingested a tiny man amount of cocaine to dull your senses? Or are you in a weakened state of mind from bawling for our dead Queen for a week?

It will be released in 2023. Have you ingested a tiny man amount of cocaine to dull your senses? Or are you in a weakened state of mind from bawling for our dead Queen for a week?

Bit of both. It has ratings already too.

Father Stu:

Washed-up boxer and loser goes Catholic in order to sleep with hot Hispanic chick, then decides to become a priest instead of marrying the hot chick. Yes, Wahlberg can act. I could not finish this Mel Gibson driven crap though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom