The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

81032959.jpg

Caught this on Thurs or Friday night.

An accident links the lives of 2 different families: one wealthy and the other middle class.

Liev S is the "leader" of the middle class family. Peter S is his mirror. Liev's daughter at first is interested in Peter's son, but that changes. Marisa T is the wife of hedge funder, Peter S.

This just had too much going on. A mini love story, the accident, an investment in the fund...and on and on.

This really had some potential if they stuck to the accident and added some blackmail. But nope.....

2/5 and that is pushing it!

AAAABTItc2K-0jTJEjuEXgQWGNj8R2LF-R2uXOUEx-S_-We6LXRUC9Zq5z4ryFm2Hn2m0MhIhJw_yKuNkZlhm9ReLm7FQOylXi5WDkuu3E43oVNri4HDnOpqoy_N1voVyP9n5m6Yzw.jpg

Caught this last night.

This documentary follows the lives of 3 former members of the Hasidic community in Brooklyn, NY.

One woman is struggling to get custody of her children against her ex husband who has the community/resources behind him.

One man wants to be a performer and moves between LA and NY.

One young man wants to rebel and smoke/sniff and find himself.

All 3 find themselves shunned from the support and interaction of the community that they left.

I thought this was very well done. I grew up in Boro Park/Sunset Park, Brooklyn(NY) and "interacted" with the Hasidic people somewhat.

Well worth a watch.

Last edited:
MV5BN2Y1ZDRmNDAtYjI0NS00YTRmLWE3MzUtMjRjNjcwMDA0N2VjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODEwNDQ0Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Caught this on Youtube over the wknd.

It's one of those solid 1970's movies.

A blind man comes home from the hospital and realizes that his wife is doing whoopee with his best friend/lawyer.

He ain't going for that and has a plan to kill them both. Now, that would be a lot easier for you and I, but home boy is blind. Well, that won't deter him.

He has his aide take him all around the city and he can basically navigate much of what he needs to do on his own.

Will he be successful? Check it out.

3/5.

1664151752748.png

Jack Lemmon is so good in this film. It felt good to know he was still a great actor in his later career. Also, I suppose this film continued the trend of US gov't conspiracy films from the 70s. I suppose this was foreshadowing of the Iran-Contra affair to come.

1664152182817.png

Freddie Bartholomew steals the show from Tracy (who I think is one of the best film actors ever). Tracy and Barrymore are solid, but this film is carried by the boy. As a plus, now that I know how to sail, it was nice to hear some of the terminology and concepts in use.

I watched the first 20 minutes of Blonde before falling asleep. I don’t think you’d miss out on much, turning the volume down and fast forwarding through to the scenes showing off de Armas looking hot/ getting naked.

I watched the first 20 minutes of Blonde before falling asleep. I don’t think you’d miss out on much, turning the volume down and fast forwarding through to the scenes showing off de Armas looking hot/ getting naked.

I started it last night. I was bored 5 min in. Stopped at appr 20 minutes. The movie is 2hrs 47min. How do they figure people will watch some BS that long?

Yeah....I guess ADA is the draw.

MV5BMTYzODYwOTIzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE2NjAwNw@@._V1_.jpg

I caught ^ on a flight years ago when it came out. I really don't need to watch an almost 3 hour MM movie....even with the nudes.

I can’t believe I finished this utterly awful mess of a film. ADA could not save it. Her boobs appeared a little more frequently in the second half and the scene where she gave JFK a BJ was just sad. 3/10

I started Rob Zombie’s The Munsters reboot lastnight but didn’t make it past the first 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I finished this utterly awful mess of a film. ADA could not save it. Her boobs appeared a little more frequently in the second half and the scene where she gave JFK a BJ was just sad. 3/10

I started Rob Zombie’s The Munsters reboot lastnight but didn’t make it past the first 5 minutes.

I finished Blonde yesterday in 5 minutes. I just hovered my cursor until I saw newd parts, glanced at that, and moved on.

I don't need an almost 3 hour MM flick.

movieposter_en.jpg

Somewhat gloomy/rainy day here in NYC.

Just finished this while also watching Michigan v Iowa.

So GB and his wife are having issues. He is driving her to her parent's casa for some time apart when they stop to get some gas. She runs in to get water and never returns!

Over the next few hours, he contacts the police, checks if she somehow made it to her parent's house, and the sets out to find her and save her from what/whoever has her.

Your standard 1 man vs many flick. Nothing remarkable but I did watch it all the way through.

2.5/5.

Saw "Dead for a Dollar" just now. Entertaining, but the violence was so over the top that I was left wondering whether the film was sort of a comedic sendup of a lot of Westerns, especially those of the spaghetti variety. A lot of cool, offbeat guns in the flick: A Colt New Army and Navy (Model 1892), a Broomhandle Mauser, some top-break Smiths and more.

2 documentaries..last night and today:

large_key-art_2.jpg

-First up...Hostages. I just finished this 4 part doc on HBO a few minutes ago.

This is a compelling in depth retelling of the 1979 US hostage crisis with Iran. Initially, more than 60 US workers at the embassy in Iran were held hostage by "radical" student led Iranians looking for the return of the Shaw of Iran so that he can stand trial.

This doc captures interviews with both some hostages and some of the students, both then and now.

There were serious political overtones that always were at the forefront of this matter.

444 days later, the hostages were released!

A VERY good watch.

4/5.

MV5BZDE5OGU2ZDQtMGQ0Ni00YzBhLWEyODUtMWUzZTA3NjMxYzVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMTI1Mjk3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

-I caught this last night.

This doc tells the story of the US men's basketball team's quest for gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Prior to those Olympic Games, the world was catching up to the US in b-ball. A gold was not a foregone conclusion anymore.

Some solid interviews, back scene footage and interviews with the main characters who brought the team together on that quest.

Solid.

3.75/5.

Luckiest Girl Alive. Mika Kunis is still hot and Carrie’s the film with some reasonable acting. The story plays on some common themes of school shootings, Rich WASP rapists and questions the meaning of ‘victimhood’. 4/5

I don't get these new movies that seem to be in this dream or trance like state for the entire length of the movie. Spencer. Blonde.

The High Note. Has Dakota Johnson ever not had bangs? I think she would look better without them.

Bill Pullman, Mr. Independence Day, is someone’s old father now?

the-snowman-2017-us-poster.jpg

I am a HUGE Jo Nesbo fan. I was at HKG airport years ago on my way to Thailand and stopped in a store to buy a book(thriller/mystery/detective) based in SE Asia. I picked up Cockroaches and absolutely loved it. I have read many of Nesbo's books since.

I had no idea one of his books was made into a movie until this morning when I was scrolling through my TV guide and saw that The Snowman would be on in a few minutes.

What a HUGE lump of $hit! This was/is so bad, I can't even review it!

I actually jumped in the shower mid way as I didn't want to torture myself for the entirety of the flick!

0.25/5....it gets the .25 only due to Jo Nesbo's name.

Last edited:
Cherry. 4/5

War and drugs are bad. Worn out old story recycled again, but very well produced and acted.

Is Amsterdam worth watching? It looked interesting from the advertisements.

The-good-Nurse-Interviews.jpg

Caught this 2+ hour flick last night.

Jessica Chasten plays a single mother of 2 young daughters working the night shift as a nurse at a local hospital. Adding to that, she has a medical condition which adds to the stress of her job.

A new nurse, Eddie Redmayne, joins the staff/night shift and offers support to JC and her daughters. They start to form a bond. All is suave!

A patient dies and the hospital higher ups and staff are puzzled. They bring in the police to investigate, but also stall in revealing what they found in their own internal investigation. Another death happens. Oh no! $hit ain't a coincidence.

This flick is based on a true story. Yes, it was 2+ hours, but I didn't feel that it dragged. Good cast all around.

A good watch from Netflix, which I feel is rare these days.

3.95-4/5.

1667357810643.png

Shot on a Betacam, this film shows that quality of your picture image is not a requirement to a good film. I thought this film had a little bit of everything - good acting, good characters, wonderful camera movement and angles. I felt that the camcorder quality may have immersed me more into the story rather than the superficial quality of the film.

I do wish the copy I saw didn't have the burned in English subtitles with solid black background though. Maybe there's a better quality DVD out there.

Finally finished Suburra. I thought the ending was a bit contrived. I assume they needed to kill off some characters in case they needed to continue the story. Now I read it's getting a spin off with the girls and the remaining male characters.

Finally finished Suburra. I thought the ending was a bit contrived. I assume they needed to kill off some characters in case they needed to continue the story. Now I read it's getting a spin off with the girls and the remaining male characters.
That’s so random I’m watching this now as well.

The first few episodes are a bit juvenile because the trio are small time. Once they get tangled up with Samurai it starts picking up steam.
yeah i'm starting season 3 now. the woman who plays sara monaschi is incredibly sexy.

All Quiet on the Western Front. I remember reading the (translated) novel in high school but I don't remember it being so viscerally violent.

The final battle right before the armistice kicks in seemed like humanity's most futile exercise. The borders were ripped up and redrawn anyway in spite of what incremental town/city/piece of land you held at the front.

51EtAm0wBEL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Caught this again tonight when I saw it pop up on Netflix.

Tom Hanks plays the title role...the captain of a US flagged container ship trying to guide his cargo/crew to Mombasa, Kenya. To get there, they must traverse 100+ miles off of the Somali coast.

But wait...there are pirates in those waters monitoring radar and communication. The leader of those band of pirates, played by Barkhad Abid, single out Phillips' ship and set sail to capture and demand a hefty ransom from the ship's owners(Maersk.)

Phillips spots the incoming boats on the radar and gets his unarmed crew ready to fight back. The pirates board the ship and a tense cat and mouse game is played: Phillips vs the pirates.

This flick hasn't lost a thing since the first time, and every other time, I saw it!

Hanks is Hanks. Abid(the head pirate) is brilliant, considering this was his first role and I believe he sold cell phones prior.

If you haven't seen this, do check it out.

4.5/5!

I watched The Good Nurse on the weekend. I wouldn't say that's the role I see Jessica Chastain take but she did it well. For a movie about hospitals even that hospital is terribly dark even if it is a night shift.

Redeem Team. I didn't know Kobe's presence was so controversial. That final Spain USA game was pretty intense.

I am trying to get through Christmas With You mostly out of morbid interest in how much Freddie Prinze Jr has aged.

Very surprised he is still married to Sarah Michelle Gellar.

^^ He is again fine or not actively and superficially fighting it. He looks lean enough and I suppose the greys in his beard are aging him.

Sarah is heavily made-up and clearly has had some work done.

^^ He is again fine or not actively and superficially fighting it. He looks lean enough and I suppose the greys in his beard are aging him.

Sarah is heavily made-up and clearly has had some work done.

Dr. Google says he gave up alcohol. He says he only has sake on his date nights. Obviously still works out.

Something from Tiffany's. Gives me all sorts of vibes from my last vacation which was to New York.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom