The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Supporter
You find your rationale in Ocasio-Cortez?

I’m not a huge fan, but she is on point here and even offering up some actual ideas for fixing things.

She has a point. Democrats’ deer-in-the-headlights is painful to watch and damaging to the long term vision of the US and the rest of the world. They have the means to do actual stuff that would matter, they just choose not to.

Someone said this week that Republicans are shooting up the school and the Dems are the cops waiting outside the door doing nothing.

Or just using this as another campaigning opportunity.

Grand Potentate

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter

Fwiffo

Comes off as a condescending prick
Supporter

"Indonesian President Joko Widodo invited Putin to the G20 summit, despite calls by Western countries to exclude him because of Russia’s ongoing war on Ukraine. Widodo has tried to reach a compromise by also inviting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, despite Ukraine not being a G20 country."

Russia invited to the G20.

Undercard fight... BRICS versus Anglo west plus the reluctant EU

Main fight... Putin vs Zelensky

Fwiffo

Supporter
This one of those lazy ' you X this etc', again AOC is a nuisance, granted. However, what is your rationale/ perspective/ POV or is it just whingeing whining moaning or pissing in the wind?

I quite liked her pick myself up from my bootstraps story but she has been caught many times with incorrect facts and grasp of 20th century history and politics.

I don't support changing the system if it isn't working out for the current political climate and topic of the day. If the Democrats had foresight they would have spent political capital to get Merrick Garland's appointment through the last 9 months of the Obama administration. But then again I am a staunch supporter of constitutional monarchy.

I can, however, guarantee if an opening was available on 7th January 2021 the previous guy would have pushed another appointment through.

You made the point about Democrats not willing to get their hands dirty.

The same in the UK btw. Starmer bashers can whinge all they want ( what is their alternative)? Or are they content with more of Bojo and his?

Similarly, Starmer acolytes (thankfully, no zealots like Corbynites), championing Corbyn as just better than Bojo ( even though he is) isn't enough to get things moving. It'd fall into the same trap the Muricans did with Biden (anyone but trump) and essentially elected a corpse.

I recall when I was in uni someone remarked that since the 20th century Britain was essentially ruled by Tories with periodic interruptions from Labour.

I do believe that since Cameron, the Tories have developed this Cronus or Saturn concept of getting rid of their party leader whenever the going gets bad and this will drive away competent people rather than create opportunities for them to become the party leader.

The rise of regional parties whose interests are only in their home nation will likely never give anyone who becomes PM a strong and clear mandate.

But this is happening across parliaments everywhere.

Dems need to be more ruthless tbh and embrace chaos. There has been systemic failure in dem/Lab political class.

They could have avoided all of this if they voted in 2016 but many were disillusioned by Clinton and stayed home. In a democracy you get the government you deserve.

Fwiffo

Supporter

Funny I heard this commented on Sky. There was one comment on Ursula von der Leyen and her shoes. I am sure the choice of white shirts was to say solidarity but it looked a bit goofy at the round table when they all took their jackets off for the press photograph.

“If you’re going to wear a suit, wear a tie. If you’re not going to wear a tie, don’t wear a suit. A suit without a tie is the naffest look available to men.”

“What’s the point of wearing a suit if you’re trying to look casual. Wear a blazer. Or a windbreaker. Or a t-shirt and jeans. Swim trunks and flip-flops. Anything,”

“A suit demands a tie! Want to go casual, try a blazer and chino or sweater,”

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy

Funny I heard this commented on Sky. There was one comment on Ursula von der Leyen and her shoes. I am sure the choice of white shirts was to say solidarity but it looked a bit goofy at the round table when they all took their jackets off for the press photograph.

“If you’re going to wear a suit, wear a tie. If you’re not going to wear a tie, don’t wear a suit. A suit without a tie is the naffest look available to men.”

“What’s the point of wearing a suit if you’re trying to look casual. Wear a blazer. Or a windbreaker. Or a t-shirt and jeans. Swim trunks and flip-flops. Anything,”

“A suit demands a tie! Want to go casual, try a blazer and chino or sweater,”
They look like Davos drones. Agree a suit without a tie just looks bad.

They don't look effective. They took the piss out of Putin about his pecs, well they'll need to be hitting the gym hard in the next few weeks to justify that. Still, Trudeau's still got that pretty boy quiff.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"Russia poses no realistic threat to Sweden or Finland. Since World War II, Russia hasn’t exhibited the slightest interest in territorial acquisition in either country, and in fact, Finland and Russia were on friendly terms during the Cold War. In contrast, Russia was consistently and emphatically clear for 15 years that it regarded any NATO expansion along its border in either Ukraine or Georgia as an existential threat that it would use force to prevent — and in fact has done so twice (Georgia 2008 and Ukraine 2014). Thus Georgia and Ukraine had reason to fear a Russian attack. Finland and Sweden don’t.

Extending NATO membership to these two countries wouldn’t only burden the U.S., which would be expected to go to war on behalf of these two Nordic states if they are attacked. It would saddle Helsinki and Stockholm with troubles, as well."

Barking Pugilist

A Conservative member of parliament has resigned from the UK government for indecently assaulting people (men) at a party. Nothing unusual about that considering the way things have been lately … except that the surname of the Right Honourable member is …..Pincher.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Supporter
Forget President, put her in charge of the treasury!

EF85C87B-9CC1-4E0D-96EE-3786DAB06E28.jpeg

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
This is an incredibly stupid article. Even for you, and that’s a high bar. Written by a man who works for a fake university of fake intellectuals.

You have online brain poisoning
Our leaders are ideological possessed, hence we're rapidly approaching cheque out time. And pay we will, in diminished lives, opportunities and they will pay dearly indeed. Their ideology cannot free us from their mission for a world of intermittent, expensive energy and food. There cannot be any economic, technological, or human growth in a world without cheap and abundant energy. Either the inflection will be reached, or suffer us we will. But their victory will be pyrrhic for there will be rioting, rioting blood and revolution and not the current Maoist one.

Fwiffo

Supporter
A Conservative member of parliament has resigned from the UK government for indecently assaulting people (men) at a party. Nothing unusual about that considering the way things have been lately … except that the surname of the Right Honourable member is …..Pincher.

Was defended a bit by Dominic Raab on Sky this morning. He had a previous allegation when working for Raab...it was investigated, and the accuser decided not to go forward. Pincher promised not to do it again, and the accuser continued to work there with Pincher.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"According to Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, of the 33 Swedish names listed in Turkish media, 19 have already been rejected for extradition by Stockholm's Supreme Court.

'We cannot go through earlier cases that have already been processed,' said Chief Justice Anders Eka."

If you want to be admitted into NATO some time this century you will.

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
Was defended a bit by Dominic Raab on Sky this morning. He had a previous allegation when working for Raab...it was investigated, and the accuser decided not to go forward. Pincher promised not to do it again, and the accuser continued to work there with Pincher.

Fwiffo

Supporter

Sajid Javid has been on media every week saying he had confidence in the PM and let’s get on with the government agenda.

Rishi Sunak on the other hand has his own green card and spousal tax issues.

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy

Sajid Javid has been on media every week saying he had confidence in the PM and let’s get on with the government agenda.

Rishi Sunak on the other hand has his own green card and spousal tax issues.
As resignation letters go, they didn't actually get into any details, just vague statements on losing confidence, but being proud to serve etc. In such cases, better to just give a one liner ''I hereby resign from my position as...'' Rather than to boast about all their ''achievements'' which are doubtful.

Sunak is tainted milk. His loyalty as an everywhere person, is to which ever entity, trans-national organisation or business that pays him. He's not a really a true Brit. He's going nowhere, well, maybe the States once he gets his Green Card back. Having bankrupted the nation with his furlough schemes, he might be looking to exit sooner, rather than later.

Javid has always been touted as a possible leader. But whilst working hard on the NHS, it's still the same old NHS on its' pedestal and irreformable.

Will Boris desperately seek to hang on? That seems likely to me. He has his missus whispering in his ear. But that would be a tragedy of embarrassment. The problem was always being the class clown, good for a laugh, until his Pepper Pig moment.

The Remainers in the party will be big time on maneuvers now.

Last edited:

Fwiffo

Supporter
As resignation letters go, they didn't actually get into any details, just vague statements on losing confidence, but being proud to serve etc. In such cases, better to just give a one liner ''I hereby resign from my position as...'' Rather than to boast about all their ''achievements'' which are doubtful.

Sunak is tainted milk. His loyalty as an everywhere person, is to which ever entity, trans-national organisation or business that pays him. He's not a really a true Brit. He's going nowhere, well, maybe the States once he gets his Green Card back. Having bankrupted the nation with his furlough schemes, he might be looking to exit sooner, rather than later.

Javid has always been touted as a possible leader. But whilst working hard on the NHS, it's still the same old NHS on its' pedestal and irreformable.

Will Boris desperately seek to hang on? That seems likely to me. He has his missus whispering in his ear. But that would be a tragedy of embarrassment. The problem was always being the class clown, good for a laugh, until his Pepper Pig moment.

The Remainers in the party will be big time on maneuvers now.

This is not the 18th century and even I have to admit that...

Fwiffo

Supporter
Michael Gove is sacked. Priti Patel has changed sides. Why did Nadhim Zahawi accept to be Chancellor of Exchequer and then first day on the job you go to the PM who nominated you to tell him to resign?

Pimpernel Smith

Tone Deaf Daddy
Michael Gove is sacked. Priti Patel has changed sides. Why did Nadhim Zahawi accept to be Chancellor of Exchequer and then first day on the job you go to the PM who nominated you to tell him to resign?

It all looks pretty embarrassing now, as I predicted, he's not going to go willingly and I suspect he's thinking my current younger missus is going to ditch me once I lose power. As they say, all Prime Minister's careers end in failure.

Fwiffo

Supporter

You accepted the post and in 36 hours you resign because the man who appointed you lacks integrity. Integrity is lost in a day's span? If it was bothering you that much don't accept the post.

Top Bottom