The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

Lowest overall voter turnout since 1996. A few points over 50% of eligible voters. Based on this, Americans should protesting their apathy not what they think might happen policy-wise across the narrow range of social justice issues they are carping about.

Precisely.

I told several wilting violets that if anything this should prompt them to actually engage in the political process so shit like this doesn't happen.
 
Precisely.

I told several wilting violets that if anything this should prompt them to actually engage in the political process so shit like this doesn't happen.

Lost opportunities due to inaction. A very North American disease
 
Older data but still LOL

IMG_6090.webp
 
Jan, I'm truly sorry for you loss. As you yourself say though there were other issues. If someone can't deal with job loss and such that's indicative of deeper problems. Partially it's the problem with the entire American ethos, starting with our Puritan founding. The way Americans define their self worth by their job is insane. It's also the reason you see all this unrest in the rust belt as these people were indoctrinated that what they were doing before was "real" work. I've said it a million times, being a bartender is a more valuableto society, highly skilled and respectable job than pushing a button on a steel brake a thousand times a day.

I wish we had more bartenders too, I can think of like half a dozen, and I live in a metro area of 2 million people.

I'm also dubious NAFTA would put a welding outfit out of business. It is such a hyperlocal business. Did NAFTA let the Mexicans drive back and for across the border to weld stuff? Aren't you in LA? That's a hike.

A lot of his work was bulk contracts on things like bicycle frames, and from what I gathered from him, it was cheaper for his erstwhile customers to ship a lot down to Mexico (which would be only about 130 miles away) to have the work done.

I am not sure that defining your self worth through your job is "insane." Much of your social prestige and most of your economic well-being is determined by what you do, usually. I think of the old Spartan proverb: Chremata aner: "Money is the man."
 
I am not sure that defining your self worth through your job is "insane." Much of your social prestige and most of your economic well-being is determined by what you do, usually. I think of the old Spartan proverb: Chremata aner: "Money is the man."

Sounds pretty insane to me, unless you are willing to say a guy who murders kids or rapes women has self worth because he is successful at business or has a socially prestigious job. Self worth is derived from how you are as a person, not your checkbook. I guess it's instructive to note you went from self worth to social prestige, and those two things aren't the same and are not necessarily related.
 
This probably comes close to carrying the One Ring around the neck.
Only difference is that nobody would stop you from throwing her into a volcano...

Probably be a riot to see who would be allowed to toss her in. The anti-precious if you will.
 
Sounds pretty insane to me, unless you are willing to say a guy who murders kids or rapes women has self worth because he is successful at business or has a socially prestigious job. Self worth is derived from how you are as a person, not your checkbook. I guess it's instructive to note you went from self worth to social prestige, and those two things aren't the same and are not necessarily related.


Well, I've had my ups and downs passing through this ol' world. In my down periods, I was just as erudite, physically fit, socially genteel and possessed whatever other good traits I may have had, but I can say that I felt a helluva lot better about my life and myself when I had more prestigious and remunerative employment than when I didn't.
 
Well, I've had my ups and downs passing through this ol' world. In my down periods, I was just as erudite, physically fit, socially genteel and possessed whatever other good traits I may have had, but I can say that I felt a helluva lot better about my life and myself when I had more prestigious and remunerative employment than when I didn't.

I'm in no way discounting how you feel Jan, and you are just as entitled to an opinion as I am obviously. I'd have a hard time saying that one's self worth is derived from outside acceptance though as by definition it has to come from within. Employment and riches are an external driver and our society has brainwashed people that the result is the goal and not the process. If you do things right you will be successful, and it may expressed as money, or social prestige, or just generally being happy. Things like good character and how you treat your fellow man come from inside. Not sure you could find a more composed man on the planet than the Dali Lama, and he has no earthly possessions whatsoever. And it goes on down the line with various walks of life. Money can be a result of success, but it's not necessarily indicative of it.

I will say I've come almost 100% onboard to a Guaranteed Minimum Income. Some of these people do not posses the critical facility to live an integrated life and the science is pretty settled that in prosperous times, racism and anti-semitism and other social maladies precipitously decline. Just pay these idiots off and be done with it.
 
I
I will say I've come almost 100% onboard to a Guaranteed Minimum Income. Some of these people do not posses the critical facility to live an integrated life and the science is pretty settled that in prosperous times, racism and anti-semitism and other social maladies precipitously decline. Just pay these idiots off and be done with it.

They do already, it's long term dole money whilst you bring in immigrants to do the work they cannot do. Makes sense, until you decide to throw away sound due diligence vetting because that went out with Ellis Island.
 
They do already, it's long term dole money whilst you bring in immigrants to do the work they cannot do. Makes sense, until you decide to throw away sound due diligence vetting because that went out with Ellis Island.

The way we hand out dole money is very inefficient. Needs to be consolidated, and expanded to include stupidity and sloth as qualifying conditions. Also needs to incorporate shuttering all these zombie towns which are a needless drain on resources.
 
The way we hand out dole money is very inefficient. Needs to be consolidated, and expanded to include stupidity and sloth as qualifying conditions. Also needs to incorporate shuttering all these zombie towns which are a needless drain on resources.

This is true in Britain, but if we were to increase efficiency (which is relatively easy) that would cost jobs (due to less administration). Unfortunately, the unions wouldn't like that.
 
Apparently they're floating Gulliani's name as SoS. What world leader would want to meet with Rudolph?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom