- Messages
- 12,494
Well, the French did initially ask us to join them, but our leaders still thought they ruled the waves.
Britain has to take the bulk of the blame for this, or more precisely its politicians. As Scruton pointed out in that other article I posted in another thread, Heath lied to the electorate as to what the EU (the EEC as it was know as at the time) was really about, claiming it to be a trading block. And subsequent politicians have attempted to maintain this fiction ever since. But the gap between reality and fiction became to big.
Somewhat, yes, but the reason it is what it is resides in Britain's ambivalence to the whole thing to start. Instead of half doing it it shpuld have led the charge in shaping it or abstained all together.
As I said, it could be anything you want.
Everyone I hear a Brit moan about EU regulation this is all I think of.