- Messages
- 21,987
"A formal statement from the White House was issued with a very public error - mixing up China and Taiwan. A press release following Donald Trump's meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 summit called him president 'of the Republic of China'. That is the official name of Taiwan. Mr Xi is, in fact, President of the People's Republic of China."
Ha - I remember one of my former direct reports always thought he was from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. He came over here as an infant from South Korea, but that was what he checked as his ethnic origin in the census. When I told him he was checking off North Korea he was surprised. I told him that the mnemonic I use to keep things straight is that only communist countries need to tell you they represent the people. People's Republic of China. Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Neither country gives a toss about their people nor are they democratic. Republic of China and Republic of Korea on the other hand don't need to advertise they are elected democracies.
Ha - I remember one of my former direct reports always thought he was from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. He came over here as an infant from South Korea, but that was what he checked as his ethnic origin in the census. When I told him he was checking off North Korea he was surprised. I told him that the mnemonic I use to keep things straight is that only communist countries need to tell you they represent the people. People's Republic of China. Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Neither country gives a toss about their people nor are they democratic. Republic of China and Republic of Korea on the other hand don't need to advertise they are elected democracies.