The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

This was the state that put forth Herman Cain for President.

Rishi Sunak is still in the lead. I hope he renews his green card in case he is chased out of the country as seems to be the case with Conservative PMs since 2016.

Rishi Sunak is still in the lead. I hope he renews his green card in case he is chased out of the country as seems to be the case with Conservative PMs since 2016.
Suprises me tbh. Whilst I think this Tory government is racked with ineptitude from top to bottom, he is one of the more useless ones IMO.

Anyhow, it seems like most front runners, he won't win. Penny Mordaunt seems to be the current darling. Why? Beats me .

Suprises me tbh. Whilst I think this Tory government is racked with ineptitude from top to bottom, he is one of the more useless ones IMO.

Anyhow, it seems like most front runners, he won't win. Penny Mordaunt seems to be the current darling. Why? Beats me .
As the front runner, based on past contests, he should be destined for failure.

Penny always seemed reasonable to me, with some doubts, but the criticism she's getting from colleagues as being weak in negotiations, going missing and not being details driven is worrisome.

Liz Truss's speech on entering the contest was particularly lacking in charisma and substance.

Kemi Badenoch may be the best bet, based on her position on Net Zero as being undesirable. Keeping on the lights and maintaining access to cheap and abundant energy is likely to be the most important issue in western europe in the next decade.
How many of the leaders at the last G7 summit are still in power? 5...
It's a different world down there and Italian society seems more polarized than ever. I speak to my Italian colleagues and there seems to be a great divide between those that consider they're still living through a black death and those who have joined en mass with the taxi drivers of Milan in being anti-boosters and wanting no more threats of future lock downs.

Remember in the 80s when English media tried to portray the Northern Ireland conflict as being religious?

FE40ACFE-DA75-4494-855D-754D2526E970.jpeg

No surprises here, Republican anti abortion success in the courts will be an electoral liability:

the italians are pissed

Things are reverting to type in Italy and I don't mean that nastily as a slur on the national character.

But the undercurrents of the far Left and far Right are back in action.

One of my associates retired a couple of years ago to Italy. His wife is Italian and left in 1984 to live in the Netherlands and somehow, she qualified for the full state pension of €1000+ a month. He was pretty astonished. It's intriguing, the state pension in Germany, the power house, paying for everything is much less than that.

A colleague was up in Milan last week and she was enraged that all the taxi drivers are ''anti-vax'' with no masks and signs in the taxis stating no more vaccines.

Italy may well be the rock that the EU perishes on. But I've said that before.

All I know is that parity with the US$ works for me. And long may it continue.

Italy may well be the rock that the EU perishes on. But I've said that before.

I thought that was Greece.

For someone who lives in the Continent you have a very dim view of its continued survival.

One of my associates retired a couple of years ago to Italy. His wife is Italian and left in 1984 to live in the Netherlands and somehow, she qualified for the full state pension of €1000+ a month. He was pretty astonished. It's intriguing, the state pension in Germany, the power house, paying for everything is much less than that.
La dolce vita.

For someone who lives in the Continent you have a very dim view of its continued survival.
I have problems with the structure of the EU and the Commission. The diktats and the unaccountability and the power which is undemocratic and a threat to our energy and food security. Not only in the Netherlands, but in Italy and Poland too. I also have a few insider views on what's it's like there and the rampant bullying culture at the EU patent office. And there's some other things as well that I can't divulge. This is not a benevolent power structure and organisation.

Still, I like Europe, just not the current direction of the EU.

Rishi Sunak vs Liz Truss.

I held a green card whilst I was chancellor and my wife didn't pay her share of taxes versus an ex-remain supporter with debate skills Labour is relishing to beat in a general election.
_125992824_i-nc.png

Rishi Sunak vs Liz Truss.

I held a green card whilst I was chancellor and my wife didn't pay her share of taxes versus an ex-remain supporter with debate skills Labour is relishing to beat in a general election.
_125992824_i-nc.png
The problem is one of charisma and Liz doesn't have it. Fortunately neither does Starmer. Mordaunt has had a dig at those who said she lacked a work ethic in the Commons today, unfortunately for her it came from several sources. At least she had charisma in abundance.

Not so sure about this… she doesn’t even have an ABD?

Full context: this is a 2020 clip in which the PM says that the Health Dept and govt should be the single source of information ON CURRENT GOVERNMENT POLICY AND PENDING ACTIONS and not to believe internet rumors of what lockdown measured the government is planning.

Full context: this is a 2020 clip in which the PM says that the Health Dept and govt should be the single source of information ON CURRENT GOVERNMENT POLICY AND PENDING ACTIONS and not to believe internet rumors of what lockdown measured the government is planning.

See güero güero ? ABD or no ABD, you’re still clickbait stupid.

Plenty of internet rumors turned out to be “proven, scientific facts” (TM) weeks and months later. Trusting the government’s statements on what the government will be doing is monumentally retarded, don’t be an ABD.

Plenty of internet rumors turned out to be “proven, scientific facts” (TM) weeks and months later. Trusting the government’s statements on what the government will be doing is monumentally retarded, don’t be an ABD.

Oh look there, you just pulled a Pimpy!! Nice goalpost moving! ABD level!! Congrats!

Oh look there, you just pulled a Pimpy!! Nice goalpost moving! ABD level!! Congrats!
Not at all, though I’d immediately put “ABD (hon.)” on my CV, if I had one! Whenever someone says “I’m the single source of truth”, for whatever issue, completely irrelevant of context, that’s absurd bullshit. Not even the pope is claiming that anymore.

Not at all, though I’d immediately put “ABD (hon.)” on my CV, if I had one! Whenever someone says “I’m the single source of truth”, for whatever issue, completely irrelevant of context, that’s absurd bullshit. Not even the pope is claiming that anymore.
How about when someone suggests pesto to cure Covid? Is that ABD (hon.), absurd bullshit, or guero-level-stupid, cum laude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom