The SF/AAAC/FNB trainwreck thread

Nobody looks good in a dustbin bag.
Don't get this personality worshipping.
Clothes, when worn for reasons other than some social requirement/dress code, are by their nature an extension of the wearer’s personality.

Even though an outfit might otherwise be nice when totally removed from context, if it doesn’t match the wearer’s personality and lifestyle, then it will look weird.

Imagine a very shy and socially anxious person wearing a very flamboyant and colourful outfit only because he thinks it will make him more popular because all the cool kids wear that. Or the typical Igent blindly copying an outfit he saw on Instagram.

When you know yourself & your tastes well and have self-confidence/personality, you just wear stuff and make it work. That’s the thing with Bowie - he’s clearly relaxed and just being himself without giving a fuck.

Of course, in the examples above, Bowie was dressing for the stage.

The status of industrialists in mainland Europe has no equivalence in the UK and I think America. Certainly as style icons. Even the French with their ''men in grey suits''.
That’s a good point. Still, many performers choose to simply be noticeable on the stage, but not literally out of this planet with their appearance.

Bowie knew that all eyes were on him at the stage anyway, so why not make a statement and push the boundaries of style? His image would be everywhere, so his clothing choices would have to have some impact and arouse some discussion at least.

Last edited:
Clothes, when worn for reasons other than some social requirement/dress code, are by their nature an extension of the wearer’s personality.

Even though an outfit might otherwise be nice when totally removed from context, if it doesn’t match the wearer’s personality and lifestyle, then it will look weird.

Imagine a very shy and socially anxious person wearing a very flamboyant and colourful outfit only because he thinks it will make him more popular because all the cool kids wear that. Or the typical Igent blindly copying an outfit he saw on Instagram.

When you know yourself & your tastes well and have self-confidence/personality, you just wear stuff and make it work.

I totally agree with this.

mjad.png

When you're Mick Jagger but the other is Alain Delon

I clearly understand this, but even by those standards this look is quite unpleasant.

The 80s were probably the worst decade of the past century in matter of style.
As already said, Bowie could wear what-the-fuck-he wanted. He was born of that generation that 'knew' the rules and more importantly knew how, and more importantly still when to break them...

I posted this recently in another thread.

Bowie wearing classic Morning Wear for Bob Geldof's wedding to Paula Yates. Now, look carefully at the picture, who is the most elegant and relaxed?

You know the answer.

1628862386038.png

I can't say the word Geldof without chuckling. Goes back to my high school days watching The Wall.

As already said, Bowie could wear what-the-fuck-he wanted. He was born of that generation that 'knew' the rules and more importantly knew how, and more importantly still when to break them...

I posted this recently in another thread.

Bowie wearing classic Morning Wear for Bob Geldof's wedding to Paula Yates. Now, look carefully at the picture, who is the most elegant and relaxed?

You know the answer.

View attachment 40553
Aled Jones?

Two of the most charismatic actors of all time in one great show. When Curtis got to Heathrow to make the series he was caught with hash and fine 50 quid. Dougie Hayward made the clothes for the series. John Barry the music. I so wanted to be Tony Curtis when I was a kid. Always super cool.

Yes, it was great fun doing The Persuaders, despite Tony Curtis. [laughter] I’ll tell you a funny story about that: “Tony was on pot at the time, and I used to have to say ‘Oh, go and have a smoke’m’, because he always had some gripe of some kind, and, one day, we were shooting on the Crossette in Cannes, and we’d been roped off our little thing, and there were crowds all around watching us film and everything, and Tony Curtis came down to do his scene and he was just carrying on at the wardrobe saying, 'You didn’t do this, and you should have done that… and in Hollywood you would have been fired….’ And dear Roger Moore walked over, took him by the lapels, looked him straight in the eyes and said, 'And to think those lips once kissed Piper Laurie’. Well, the whole of the Croisette collapsed, the unit collapsed, and, I must, say even Tony had to laugh”.—Val Guest, Director

Mods were referred to as "Tony Boys" sometimes after Tony Curtis in, Paris-when it sizzles.

63d002b9a181dbf15dbb5dfb0d22d6da.jpg

tonycurtis_lammy_270.jpg

Two of the most charismatic actors of all time in one great show. When Curtis got to Heathrow to make the series he was caught with hash and fine 50 quid. Dougie Hayward made the clothes for the series. John Barry the music. I so wanted to be Tony Curtis when I was a kid. Always super cool.

Yes, it was great fun doing The Persuaders, despite Tony Curtis. [laughter] I’ll tell you a funny story about that: “Tony was on pot at the time, and I used to have to say ‘Oh, go and have a smoke’m’, because he always had some gripe of some kind, and, one day, we were shooting on the Crossette in Cannes, and we’d been roped off our little thing, and there were crowds all around watching us film and everything, and Tony Curtis came down to do his scene and he was just carrying on at the wardrobe saying, 'You didn’t do this, and you should have done that… and in Hollywood you would have been fired….’ And dear Roger Moore walked over, took him by the lapels, looked him straight in the eyes and said, 'And to think those lips once kissed Piper Laurie’. Well, the whole of the Croisette collapsed, the unit collapsed, and, I must, say even Tony had to laugh”.—Val Guest, Director

Mods were referred to as "Tony Boys" sometimes after Tony Curtis in, Paris-when it sizzles.

View attachment 40597

View attachment 40598
Curtis is/was one of my favourite actors along with Gene Hackman, John Lithgow and a few others...

...one of the first films I recall watching with my late father was The Vikings which had both Curtis and Kirk Douglas. Liked Kirky too.

View attachment 40597

View attachment 40598
Like David Niven that I posted awhile back, Curtis matches his tie exactly with the shirt. Occasionally, it's a good look.
Curtis is/was one of my favourite actors along with Gene Hackman, John Lithgow and a few others...

...one of the first films I recall watching with my late father was The Vikings which had both Curtis and Kirk Douglas. Liked Kirky too.
Read that during that time of filming The Vikings, Douglas was suffering from bad depression. Which you would never get from watching the film.

If you thought Chenners and Ivy Style was bad, his replacement is a disaster.

Chenners has been on the MK-ULTRA programme...

Old Berkhead Breathes got the keys to the castle apparently too

Interesting to see The Style Council having the most number of songs currently included in the playlist.

Old Berkhead Breathes got the keys to the castle apparently too
That guy needs to up his game if he's going to be taken as a serious menswear writer. If Bruce Boyer dressed in such tatt no one would ever read a word he wrote. Could you imagine Berk coming out with a gem like, “A person should dress his age and have a concern for quality.”

He'd get laughed off the internet.

That guy needs to up his game if he's going to be taken as a serious menswear writer. If Bruce Boyer dressed in such tatt no one would ever read a word he wrote. Could you imagine Berk coming out with a gem like, “A person should dress his age and have a concern for quality.”

He'd get laughed off the internet.
I don't remember him.

I don't remember him.
You've not missed anything. He'd post up what he'd been wearing for 5 days in one post, all of it tatt in an Ivy style. When I was a kid you used to see all the old boys collecting their pensions and hanging out outside the post office on our estate on a Monday after school. He always reminded me of them. Olde worlde style, battered at best. Sorry but a 20 year old dated pattern Brooks bro tie and a wash and wear suit from 1969 thats been round the spin dry a million times is not cutting it, no matter how "Ivy" it is. Terrible stuff.

You've not missed anything. He'd post up what he'd been wearing for 5 days in one post, all of it tatt in an Ivy style. When I was a kid you used to see all the old boys collecting their pensions and hanging out outside the post office on our estate on a Monday after school. He always reminded me of them. Olde worlde style, battered at best. Sorry but a 20 year old dated pattern Brooks bro tie and a wash and wear suit from 1969 thats been round the spin dry a million times is not cutting it, no matter how "Ivy" it is. Terrible stuff.
A lot of the clowns on that part of the forum would've given Worzel Gummidge a run for his money.

A lot of the clowns on that part of the forum would've given Worzel Gummidge a run for his money.
Remember the guy, Max? He looked like Ray Alan the ventriloquist with the dummy Lord Charles. He never ironed anything, like nothing. Thought it was Ivy as it gets. Didn't he use to sandpaper his shirt collars? God, there were some freaks on the dark side. Leer, he was an odd sock as well wasn't he? Really thought of himself as a guru of fashion.

Remember the guy, Max? He looked like Ray Alan the ventriloquist with the dummy Lord Charles. He never ironed anything, like nothing. Thought it was Ivy as it gets. Didn't he use to sandpaper his shirt collars? God, there were some freaks on the dark side. Leer, he was an odd sock as well wasn't he? Really thought of himself as a guru of fashion.
I didn't venture very often into Dark Side, as I thought they were too obsessive for one (which is saying something).

I also balk at the concept of clothes as a component of a particular lifestyle.

I read that site with pleasure after discovering it, but the new editor is terrible. He can't write well, certainly not anywhere near as well as CC, isn't funny but thinks he is, and removes comments he doesn't like, especially on his posts pandering to inclusivity and the like.

I read that site with pleasure after discovering it, but the new editor is terrible. He can't write well, certainly not anywhere near as well as CC, isn't funny but thinks he is, and removes comments he doesn't like, especially on his posts pandering to inclusivity and the like.

Some people love censorship. Who is the editor, it is not Berkhead Breathes is it?

Don’t remember that name. Leer was OK. Very earnest Austrian chap with a blog that you could read in English as well as German.

I note there are a lot of new posts on the Ivy part of FNB. They reference back to the earlier days; so presumably it was a previous poster with a new name. Derby is mentioned, which put me in mind of Rip,Rig and Panic and/or Jim.

Yes Berk was definitely a twat.

Ivy photos from obscure schools was what he was bringing to the table.

His mate Stan was even worse - but at least he never posted photos.

Yes Berk was definitely a twat.

Ivy photos from obscure schools was what he was bringing to the table.

His mate Stan was even worse - but at least he never posted photos.
Which was the one who was from Coventry or Leicester who worked for some consultancy firm?

And what's Chinny-Chenners latest get rich quick scheme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom