The Winter Coat Thread

Got a vintage 1950's - 1960's Crombie heavyweight. Hopefully it is a good one.
app to find e85 gas

Mick Jones formerly of The Clash and Big Audio Dynamite is a big Crombie man.

I'm considering ones of these Harris Tweed delights:

1147800808.jpg

I will put these in here. A felted wool that is about 28 oz and very warm.

Have you heard of them @Truth
yup. they make nice stuff. I am always tempted to buy the roll neck.

But you know what Shooey, I choose my Dachstein jumper over the felted wool jackets I have most of the time for cold weather. For your cold they will be fine. I have a 28 ounce felted wool liner that I had made for me to wear under my Ventile parka shell and it is decently warm. It has a fleece lining. Not better than down or synthetic insulation inner layers. Sorry for the hay and lint but it is a chore jacket.

1613782764731.jpeg

1613782891618.jpeg

This wool-alpaca pile is warmer than the felted wool when worn as an outer layer. At least to me. As a point of reference I wore this today and it was -4C with a -13C windchill.

1613783174232.jpeg

I have two peacoats, an expensive one from Burberry and an inexpensive one from Gurteen. However, if I don't wear one of my many long overcoats my current winter jacket is a Douglas Gold car coat in Abraham Moon Tweed.

Last edited:
I have two peacoats, an expensive one from Burberry and an inexpensive one from Gurteen. However, if I don't wear one of my many long overcoats my current winter jacket is a Douglas Gold car coat in Abraham Moon Tweed.
I have ordered another Douglas Gold car coat.

20210506_043454.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoy it but find myself thinking that a more typical peacoat collar might be preferable.
Agreed. This isn't the typical peacoat, though beautiful. I even bet that the fabric is cashmere, or it has at least some, whereas the original peacoat is in tough wool.

Mine is cashmere, yes, but they do it in all sorts of cloth. That includes cotton for summer versions.

Some beautiful overcoats from Stile Latino, founded and owned by Vincenzo Attolini, Cesare's eldest son.

5fb7ad6feb305e1828f6ff6e_Stile-Latino-Overcoat1.jpeg
5fb793b61272704c9f84eb39_Sile-Latino.jpeg
5fb7ad6bbf0d2569de675ebe_CU-NAS_3048-830x1247.jpeg

This one has the Zip front wool turtle neck as part of the peacoat.- the jacket is a padded knitted - Armani
1.jpg
IMG_20160727_183926.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
This one has the Zip front wool turtle neck as part of the peacoat.- the jacket is a padded knitted - Armani
View attachment 38787View attachment 38789View attachment 38788

Hopefully your wife won’t force you to ditch this coat.

What's the daily temperature there now?
15C and rain tops today. There’s been big storms and rain in last week. Parts of the Dandenong hills have fallen trees around 150 destroyed houses, electricity still off for a few thousand houses for a week,

15C and rain tops today. There’s been big storms and rain in last week. Parts of the Dandenong hills have fallen trees around 150 destroyed houses, electricity still off for a few thousand houses for a week,

Living in a forest appears idyllic, but you see the storm damage here in the local woods in winter, if you had a house next to it, you would be in trouble. There's a thunder storm on the way in here right now. 29.5C today and feels tropical. Most of us here don't have air conditioning just fans in the summer.

I couldn’t cope without aircon here. Even in Melbourne we have heatwaves with say a week over 35C with days of over 40C. The heat is embedded in everything, roads, internal walls, trees, footpaths buildings.

I have 4 x RCAC or aircon/heat pump. Use them for heat too. And two weeks ago got 18 solar panels 6.6kw.

Living in a forest appears idyllic, but you see the storm damage here in the local woods in winter, if you had a house next to it, you would be in trouble. There's a thunder storm on the way in here right now. 29.5C today and feels tropical. Most of us here don't have air conditioning just fans in the summer.
Those same people in the article are threatened, and many have houses destroyed, and deaths in summer. Same place.

I don't know precisely why, but I'm very fond of the Stile Latino overcoats, probably for that very peculiar lapel.

9947dbce8f199e9586ad4477adb20828.jpg
6ed4db8f365369fa02345f9ef8b26be5.jpg
b33e176863efd951a9b464b8f6616ae0.jpg

I couldn’t cope without aircon here. Even in Melbourne we have heatwaves with say a week over 35C with days of over 40C. The heat is embedded in everything, roads, internal walls, trees, footpaths buildings.

I have 4 x RCAC or aircon/heat pump. Use them for heat too. And two weeks ago got 18 solar panels 6.6kw.

Yes we have brutal summer stretches, and the winters can be cold too. This year is the warmest winter l recall...normal winters average 13, but this year it's been 15 and 16 most days. Miss the proper winter.

Temperatures about 35° Celsius these days in Berlin, really scorching. Actually I'd like to have 20° instead. The last winter was pretty cold, following a series though of quite mild ones.

An overcoat from Edward Sexton London:

Screenshot (261).png
Screenshot (258).png

I like the dramatically wide lapel, inspired by military models. Also nice the oversized pocket flaps.

Here in Berlin is a lady tailor, Manuela Leis, a Herrenschneider (mens tailor) and Modedesigner, as she describes herself, who has specialized on mens overcoats.

portrait-manuela-leis-herrenschneiderin-in-berlin.jpg

From her Instagram account, named thecoatress:

Screenshot (301).png
Screenshot (298).png
Screenshot (299).png
Screenshot (300).png
Screenshot (302).png
Screenshot (303).png
Screenshot (304).png
Screenshot (305).png

Honestly not my style, but I admire the care and the accuracy.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the duffle coat, but these colours are tempting, Fox Brothers.

Screenshot (580).png

Of course you can consider these nice fabrics also for other styles.

Edit: not Fox Brothers, but Joshua Ellis.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the duffle coat, but these colours are tempting, Fox Brothers.

View attachment 40722

Of course you can consider these nice fabrics also for other styles.
I really wanted to get another Duffel. My existing one is well made, but from a high street store chain. Having decided to go made in UK I haven't found a 100% wool duffel. Gloverall for example is only 80%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom