WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

In the flesh, though poor camera work as I was in the shop.

20150903_120148-1.webp
 
just the pants, didn't wear the jacket today. Suede brougues, BB balzer and Lands End Chambray
20150903_110618-1.webp
It's from J Press
 
Last edited by a moderator:
just the pants, didn't wear the jacket today. Suede brougues, BB balzer and Lands End ChambrayView attachment 8312 It's from J Press

At the risk of sounding like some old fuddy-duddy on Ask Andy About Clothes, there's something a bit discordant (to me, at least) about seersucker with chambray.

With seersucker trousers and a BB blazer with flapped, patch pockets, you should be wearing a oxford-cloth shirt with a button-down collar and a bow tie!
 
At the risk of sounding like some old fuddy-duddy on Ask Andy About Clothes, there's something a bit discordant (to me, at least) about seersucker with chambray.

With seersucker trousers and a BB blazer with flapped, patch pockets, you should be wearing a oxford-cloth shirt with a button-down collar and a bow tie!

That is pretty fuddy-duddy. Chambray is oxford cloth's country cousin.
 
Nope. Traditional blue/white seersucker. Blame the lighting at Lord and Taylor in NYC plus the Samsung camera phone. I actually have a brown/white seersucker suit for sale NWT on ebay however.....
 
was informed (via PM) that Dainite is useless in the winter. I am assuming it can handle slushy nyc sidewalks and such. Anyone disagree?

And, how do you create a new thread here?
 
was informed (via PM) that Dainite is useless in the winter. I am assuming it can handle slushy nyc sidewalks and such. Anyone disagree?

And, how do you create a new thread here?

You have to pick an avatar first.
 
"victory sole" as in Dainite? Orwell reference, wat?

I can't figure out how to create a new thread, avatar is an impossibility
 
I was just throwing that out there. My carmina Jumper boots have awful traction on wet surfaces. Doesn't mater if it is pavement, tile, or sidewalk.
 
huh. I have had success with it in the past, but I am very surefooted in general being from an icy race and place.
 
I'm probably the only one that finds seersucker with boots odd, so whatever.
incestuous coarse cotton textures!

Hang on. Boots were being tried on. Was wearing snuff suede wingtips, which is pretty fucking odd in it's own right (though they are unlined and I wear suede regardless of season).
 
was informed (via PM) that Dainite is useless in the winter. I am assuming it can handle slushy nyc sidewalks and such. Anyone disagree?

And, how do you create a new thread here?

Did Walker reach out to you?
 
Olololo. Because a positive comment about Dainite is like a bat signal.

I like the ruggedness of Dainite, however it is quite unforgiving. I have it on a pair of AE loafers and on my Chelsea boots and it can wear on your feet. Not bad for walking, but for standing it is not ideal.
 
why no love for the dainite? It's works a trick as far as being durable, and I've found it to be good in poor weather prior (that was a vibram version of the same sole pattern however).

FWIW, I can't be bothered with full on leather soles as daily wear in a northeast climate. If it isn't bone dry out, I am wearing rubber soled shoes. Same reason I like scotchgrain Brush it out, hug it out, shit'll be ready to wear on the daily.
 
why no love for the dainite? It's works a trick as far as being durable, and I've found it to be good in poor weather prior (that was a vibram version of the same sole pattern however).

FWIW, I can't be bothered with full on leather soles as daily wear in a northeast climate. If it isn't bone dry out, I am wearing rubber soled shoes. Same reason I like scotchgrain Brush it out, hug it out, shit'll be ready to wear on the daily.

I actually prefer it over leather soles. I can't be bothered to always look out for stepping on wet ground, etc. And I go out to bars too much to care about what I step in constantly. That being said, I am also excited to try out my Tomir and Victory soles that should come in during the next few months.
 
I have lived in a snowy climate for 49 of my 52 years. Any rubber sole be it a Topy of similar brand, Dainite, crepe, etc. is better than leather in snow. That is just my opinion and YMMV. DW Frommer walks like a deer and has never slipped on his leather soles ever in his life. He does not like the Dainite. Walker has the same opinion

Please wear them this winter and provide a review how they work for you. Are they slip proof? Nope. But neither is a vibram lug. The rubber hardens in the cold reducing functionality. Thing snow tires - softer compound plus engineered treads and siping. So wear Sorels with you suits in winter. Or gracefully leap like a deer over snow.

I am a plodding Neanderthal. I need me my rubber soles to keep me from falling on my ass. Especially on polished marble and tile when you just come in from the cold.

I don't know much. Only lived and worked in tbe Arctic for 20 years or so.

Complimenti DEER!
 
I ate rare backstrap deer my friend hunted a month ago, que sabroso!

Forgot to ask for the leather.
 
I have lived in a snowy climate for 49 of my 52 years. Any rubber sole be it a Topy of similar brand, Dainite, crepe, etc. is better than leather in snow. That is just my opinion and YMMV. DW Frommer walks like a deer and has never slipped on his leather soles ever in his life. He does not like the Dainite. Walker has the same opinion

Please wear them this winter and provide a review how they work for you. Are they slip proof? Nope. But neither is a vibram lug. The rubber hardens in the cold reducing functionality. Thing snow tires - softer compound plus engineered treads and siping. So wear Sorels with you suits in winter. Or gracefully leap like a deer over snow.

I am a plodding Neanderthal. I need me my rubber soles to keep me from falling on my ass. Especially on polished marble and tile when you just come in from the cold.

I don't know much. Only lived and worked in tbe Arctic for 20 years or so.

Complimenti DEER!

Please wear them this winter and provide a review how they work for you.


I plan to get through the winter with four pair of shoes, (excluding house shoes and trainers. I am not a fucking savage.) Two are posted in this thread and are scotch grained leather with a thick dainite sole. On purpose. Outside of live-ability in poor weather, we're talking notes on care required and longevity.
 
I like the ruggedness of Dainite, however it is quite unforgiving. I have it on a pair of AE loafers and on my Chelsea boots and it can wear on your feet. Not bad for walking, but for standing it is not ideal.
I agree - I have about 3 pairs with dainite - all really accidentally - because that's all they were available in at the time of purchase. I find it like walking on Cast Iron Soles. And I've fallen arse over tit on wet wooden decks a few times. I'd never buy Dainite soles again.
 
I agree - I have about 3 pairs with dainite - all really accidentally - because that's all they were available in at the time of purchase. I find it like walking on Cast Iron Soles. And I've fallen arse over tit on wet wooden decks a few times. I'd never buy Dainite soles again.


This is not an uncommon event for me, regardless of footwear.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom