WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

I just got this book, so I can learn how to discriminate and prejudice you all better

https://www.book2look.com/book/wFClhOt9Ce

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 7.22.29 PM.png

After years of dreaming l finally purchased highend cashmere tracksuit pants. I couldn't bare to folk out 1,000 bucks so l eventually got lucky on ebay with a new pair of Derek Rose. It's things like this that can really make a difference - I like to be comfy on a cold night at home, now l can do comfy and cozy at the highest levels.

"The Finley trouser is part of our premium line of luxury contemporary leisurewear, born out of the desire to craft an off-duty wardrobe that matches up to the highest sartorial and quality standards. Our philosophy is to use the finest materials and components, paying attention to every detail of construction, so that the resulting garment is both comfortable and stylish.
The starting point for Finley was the grade of pure cashmere we chose — a luxuriantly soft 12 gauge pure Italian cashmere made by Loro Piana, which we consider to be best in class. Touch this fabric and you'll be reminded what cashmere should feel like. The material hangs wonderfully, for a look that's as luxurious as the feel".

Derek Rose cashmere tracksuit pants 2.jpg

After years of dreaming l finally purchased highend cashmere tracksuit pants. I couldn't bare to folk out 1,000 bucks so l eventually got lucky on ebay with a new pair of Derek Rose. It's things like this that can really make a difference - I like to be comfy on a cold night at home, now l can do comfy and cozy at the highest levels.

"The Finley trouser is part of our premium line of luxury contemporary leisurewear, born out of the desire to craft an off-duty wardrobe that matches up to the highest sartorial and quality standards. Our philosophy is to use the finest materials and components, paying attention to every detail of construction, so that the resulting garment is both comfortable and stylish.
The starting point for Finley was the grade of pure cashmere we chose — a luxuriantly soft 12 gauge pure Italian cashmere made by Loro Piana, which we consider to be best in class. Touch this fabric and you'll be reminded what cashmere should feel like. The material hangs wonderfully, for a look that's as luxurious as the feel".

View attachment 31212
A fit pic is required!!!!!!!

thinking about a pair of Saint Laurent Theo boots.

I'd say low heel Wyatt Chelsea over Theo. The Theo's cuban heel gives it a fat-assed weirdness on the heel which does not go well with the pointy toe.

I'd also take the Wyatt jodhpur over the Theo.

But, horses for courses, YMMV

A fit pic is required!!!!!!!

I think the fit should be o.k. I ordered a small so the legs aren't too long.

I visited my tech guy the other day to fix my computer so l could post pics again, however there is still a downloading problem occurring. After l visit him again l may post a pic of me wearing them, and l will let you know.

I'd say low heel Wyatt Chelsea over Theo. The Theo's cuban heel gives it a fat-assed weirdness on the heel which does not go well with the pointy toe.

I'd also take the Wyatt jodhpur over the Theo.

But, horses for courses, YMMV

Wyatt to me is a bit too generic. I tried on the Theo at Barney's and the heel width is not as wide as pictures depict. I figured if I am going to get SLP, I would get something extreme.

Might return if I change my mind.

Wyatt to me is a bit too generic. I tried on the Theo at Barney's and the heel width is not as wide as pictures depict. I figured if I am going to get SLP, I would get something extreme.

Might return if I change my mind.

Maybe. I sometimes forget you and your boi Raphael got da GheyQuotient™ going on so I should control for that in my responses. You ever checkout Story Et Fall? They have some sexy boots.

My old man had one of these from the 40's that I really dug as a kid as a kid in the 60's so when Nigel Cabourn did this limited run I figured what the hell. Its a wool/alpaca blend which was commonly used as insulation and liners in military cold weather clothing.

Cut like a mechanic's jacket but with a full neck zip. Makes for a warm outer layer in normal winter temps and a good mid layer under a shell for more brutal temps.

Not to everyone's taste but a nice workwear-style piece in my opinion. Very functional as everything Cabourn does is. Extremely well constructed as all of his pieces are. Made in Japan. Unlined like original jackets were. Big, soft fuzz and loft for insulation.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.26.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.26.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.26.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.26.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.26.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.27.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.27.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.27.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.27.39 AM.png

My old man had one of these from the 40's that I really dug as a kid as a kid in the 60's so when Nigel Cabourn did this limited run I figured what the hell. Its a wool/alpaca blend which was commonly used as insulation and liners in military cold weather clothing.

Cut like a mechanic's jacket but with a full neck zip. Makes for a warm outer layer in normal winter temps and a good mid layer under a shell for more brutal temps.

Not to everyone's taste but a nice workwear-style piece in my opinion. Very functional as everything Cabourn does is. Extremely well constructed as all of his pieces are. Made in Japan. Unlined like original jackets were. Big, soft fuzz and loft for insulation.

View attachment 31267
View attachment 31268
View attachment 31269
View attachment 31270
View attachment 31271
View attachment 31272
View attachment 31273
View attachment 31274
View attachment 31275

As worn in the famous bigfoot sighting of 1967:

images.jpg

Picked-up a couple of shirts from my shirtmakers yesterday, wasn't sure this one would work and was somewhat disappointed as I thought the blue stripe was darker, so I made sure I wore it today and I think it's winner:

Capture1.JPG

I think the paler stripes are better. Especially with candy stripes. Do you call that candy stripe? What sort of collar did you specify. And is it higher than usual? I like it.

I think the paler stripes are better. Especially with candy stripes. Do you call that candy stripe? What sort of collar did you specify. And is it higher than usual? I like it.

It's got to yellow hairline striped in the white stripe, so really a stripe shirt. Thomas Mason 120s.

It's a spread collar and it is higher than usual to cover my neck operation scar.

Seven months after ordering, these arrived. Nice high rise. Fit is pretty good.

75FEDF88-02E5-44AC-B4FE-7402CE603097.jpeg

Got a link for these?

What made you choose them?

https://www.cianofarmer.com/products/15oz-kojima-indigo-red-selvage

997 cut

I’ve heard denimheads say this a good value brand. I refuse to pay more than $100 for jeans and wanted a dark denim high rise to start experimenting with jeans & sports coats.

I ordered in June with an expected production time of 4-5 months.

First impression:

Really well constructed. Fit is similar to old 501s. Nice cross hatching in the denim.

Size seems to run big and long. I’m going to do a hot water vinegar bath to fix the colour and shrink them a bit this weekend, but first try-on the waist seems a bit big and the length looks to be an inch longer then specified.

Seven months lag on a jeans order is kinda ridiculous, but now I have them I’m pretty happy.

He’s a one-man show, making jeans in the back shed as a hobby. He was actually just down the road from me a county away and then moved up to DFW, delaying production. Was very apologetic when I checked-in at the six month mark.

Update on the CF jeans. They are basically 501s in a cool fabric, chain stitched to the desired length. I’m hoping for a little more shrinkage as they feel a little big in the waist and all over. The rise is nice and high, but overall the fit is looser than the straight leg, slight taper I’d hoped for.

Again, for the price, they are great jeans - even if not exactly what I was hoping for. Worth waiting 7-8 months for? No.

latest ebay acquisition

20190218_115051.jpg

was missing both the belt (got a replacement one) and the neck strap (somebody took the time to remove it, by actually removing the stitches and all, not that I care much for the time being). At least it doesn't smell like it's been sitting on a horse stable for years

Last edited:
My Ballantyne wool/cashmere cardigans arrived last week, definitely impressed with the fit and quality. The prices were great too.

Picked-up a couple of end-on-end shirts I had ordered, the stripe one is very similar to a cloth Mercer & Sons had awhile back which I had a button-down made up in:

IMG_1488.JPG

I ordered some cigar colored linen trousers a few linen-cotton dress shirts as well as a few more linen button downs. It’s a fabric I’m really embracing for the hot humid summers here.

To go with my new electric razor I wanted to get some Clinique pre-electric shaver oil, but nowhere had it in. But one place had the Lab Series version in. So I bought that with some other skin products by Lab Series to give them ago. Never tried them before. I'm pretty much a Clinique or Nivea when it comes to skin products for men.

The missus has me using a moisturizer by Algenist that I like. Probably cost ten times more than the Clinique or Lather&Wood stuff I normally buy.

For hair and body, I really like 18.21 and Verve. The former basically ripped-off Tom Ford’s tobacco-vanilla scent and put it in some descent cosmetics.

I don't buy stuff. I have almost all I need. I actually have more than I need - I'm slowly giving way stuff.

Last October I was in Barcelona (as you do) it was stinking hot. I wasn't all that well, minor bug or something, walking around, end of day, Gaudi-ing. The bladder had been unusually, and painfully, demanding all day, in a city with seemingly no public toilets. I was passing H&M and I went in. The toilet was actually hidden on a lower floor. No signs. I had to ask.

My feet were killing me too, sneakers pinching, where they had never before, the socks I had on were hot sticky and uncomfortable. I spied a bin of white cotton socks near the checkout. They had a small red chilli logo and Chilling printed near top. They looked to be Crew length. A desperate man doesn't get too fussy. I snaffled them for 2 or 3 euros. Went and changed into them. Instant relief.

Not only that. I discovered if I pulled them up they reached my calves. Not exactly OTC but bloody close. Nice thickness on sole not too bulky, not too thin. I've worn them a lot since then. I mean a lot. Washed them a lot. Still holding up well.

On getting back to OZ I went to H&M to get more. Nope. Never heard of them. Occasionally in the last 6 months I've wandered into H&M hoping. Hoping. I searched online. Nope. I gave up.

Today I was waiting at a shopping centre - I wandered aimlessly into H&M just to check out what was happening.

On the sock rack. There they were.
$4.99 each. Deal 3 pairs for price of 2.

Stunned I grabbed 2 x 3 packs. I asked the bloke - he said they just came in.

I don't buy stuff. I have almost all I need. I actually have more than I need - I'm slowly giving way stuff.

Last October I was in Barcelona (as you do) it was stinking hot. I wasn't all that well, minor bug or something, walking around, end of day, Gaudi-ing. The bladder had been unusually, and painfully, demanding all day, in a city with seemingly no public toilets. I was passing H&M and I went in. The toilet was actually hidden on a lower floor. No signs. I had to ask.

My feet were killing me too, sneakers pinching, where they had never before, the socks I had on were hot sticky and uncomfortable. I spied a bin of white cotton socks near the checkout. They had a small red chilli logo and Chilling printed near top. They looked to be Crew length. A desperate man doesn't get too fussy. I snaffled them for 2 or 3 euros. Went and changed into them. Instant relief.

Not only that. I discovered if I pulled them up they reached my calves. Not exactly OTC but bloody close. Nice thickness on sole not too bulky, not too thin. I've worn them a lot since then. I mean a lot. Washed them a lot. Still holding up well.

On getting back to OZ I went to H&M to get more. Nope. Never heard of them. Occasionally in the last 6 months I've wandered into H&M hoping. Hoping. I searched online. Nope. I gave up.

Today I was waiting at a shopping centre - I wandered aimlessly into H&M just to check out what was happening.

On the sock rack. There they were.
$4.99 each. Deal 3 pairs for price of 2.

Stunned I grabbed 2 x 3 packs. I asked the bloke - he said they just came in.
I love a happy ending Francis. Sometimes the gods of sartorial karma decide to throw us a bone. Cool story bro!

I should add. I like to wear white socks. With jeans and sometimes chinos. I used to be able to buy long OTC white cotton “walking” socks. But they have disappeared from sale. They were a bit thin though.

I’ve searched all over the place but nearly all white socks now are those weird invisible socks that don’t show above the shoe. There’s some athletic white socks but they are only about ankle length and mostly have a few horizontal stripes on them.

It’s a hard life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom