WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Have not bought Rick in a long time, bought a pair "Please Kill Me" socks.

Also phone broke, got a Huawei Mate SE for under 200. So far haven't really noticed any difference between this and my previous 600 version.

These Barbour madras cloth shirts, despite the Tailored Fit moniker, they're sized correctly at 16.5 collar and 42/44 chest with no tightness around the belly even when you sit down which is the curse of slim fit shirts on the middle aged man. Good for the weekend and casual Fridays. Good price too. Now have the mother-in-law engaged in getting rid of the Barbour flag on the pocket:

IMG_2060.JPG

Very nice. I love Barbour shirting - the tattersall and madras are magnificent. I know what you mean about the "tailored fit". It still billows on me without taking it in significantly. I will say those collars look a bit smaller - is that their new look or are madras sport shirt collars generally shorter than their tattersalls?

Very nice. I love Barbour shirting - the tattersall and madras are magnificent. I know what you mean about the "tailored fit". It still billows on me without taking it in significantly. I will say those collars look a bit smaller - is that their new look or are madras sport shirt collars generally shorter than their tattersalls?

The collars are pretty small, in the RL range, all the same on the 2019 shirts I looked at. Never bought Barbour shirts before, but they're good quality and whilst not bleeding madras they're top value. I find polos rather boring these days and much prefer a cool madras shirt in the warmer months.

Edit: and the Mother-in-law did a great job of getting rid of the Barbour logo. Except in took two hours as she did it strand by strand. Great lady!

Last edited:
Cream linen unstructured and unlined sports coat discussed in the Ask a Question thread. Just dropped it off to be taken in at the chest and waist plus sleeves.

Also an EHabidasher dark navy hopsack two-roll-three that was on a great sale with only one size left ... mine (39L)!

I’m done with summer and winter basics now.

I may get a few ties and pocket squares on sale over the next year, but next big purchase won’t be for a while. Next will be a mtm sports coat in a lighter weight. Probably a muted gun check.

Oh, maybe a cheap half canvas suit for funerals - though I’m increasingly finding that I’m the only one that feels under dressed in dark jacket, tie and non-matching trousers at a funeral.

Last edited:
Ordered 18 oz tweed windowpane custom trousers cut for braces. It's a brownish green colour. I wanted to order 22 oz but the weave wasn't as dense so l stuck with 18. The trousers are cut old style with plenty of room in the legs and wide, just the way l like them. Almost impossible to find such a cut in rtw, and certainly impossible to get heavy tweeds in that type of cut.

I've wanted heavy tweed trousers for years.

Ordered 18 oz tweed windowpane custom trousers cut for braces. It's a brownish green colour. I wanted to order 22 oz but the weave wasn't as dense so l stuck with 18. The trousers are cut old style with plenty of room in the legs and wide, just the way l like them. Almost impossible to find such a cut in rtw, and certainly impossible to get heavy tweeds in that type of cut.

I've wanted heavy tweed trousers for years.

Hope they were lined. As someone who prefers all my trousers unlined, the reason I can't get behind the tweed suit (despite it, looking good) or tweed trousers is the itchy factor.

Hope they were lined. As someone who prefers all my trousers unlined, the reason I can't get behind the tweed suit (despite it, looking good) or tweed trousers is the itchy factor.

ooo, thanks for reminding me, l completely forgot. I'll get them 3/4 lined. None-the-less, when l where them i'll also be wearing a thin p[air of woolen thermals underneath. I feel the cold.

Last edited:
Waiting for this to arrive and hoping it isn’t too dark (blackish).

3067455B-4F23-441E-9C9E-DCF16BF3E37E.jpeg

Southern Proper corduroy surf shorts. I wanted a pairs of Birdwells for a while but the price was crazy - then I found SPs on clearance for $15 shipped

Today I bought two coffees and an apple, and I am now stealing the office chocolate stash by way of dinner because I'm skint.

I have yet to buy, but will buy, a pack of cigarettes, a coffee and some black laces. I may buy some dinner later.

AE tan boat shoes to wear with shorts for supermarket trips and generally shlepping around in the Houston heat. $40 on eBay, so worth a gamble.

I bought my first piece of Tom Ford today. Not just the usual made-in-ltaly, no no, but made-in-U.K knitwear. Check this out, my brand new mate...nice and smart, typical Tom Ford class. Will be interesting to check out the quality of Tom Ford made-in-U.K.

I know Anderson & Sheppard and Huntsman gets super stylish knitwear made in Wales, and l am wondering if Tom Ford has done the same thing. The turtleneck above seems too cool to be made in England or Scotland.

knitwear made-in-Wales. It costs big bucks, needless to say. (not mine sadly)

Picked up some more Rick, but unsure of the reason.
It’s obvious why, you’re all in on this ridiculous celebrity cult.

Rick Owens goes to work every day and sits with his pencils at his drafting board or at his cutting table with a humongous bolt of black jersey cotton and says to his team “watch while I baste together my next prototype of some ridiculous laughable gargantually overpriced piece of shit that will hit the shops soon and have gullible suckers like Paully emptying their bank accounts and sprinting down to the mall to increase my riches. Dance puppets - dance!”

Enjoy wearing your drop crotch shorts or your skirt this summer. Make sure you take lots of pics so your kids can one day laugh and say “Dad, WTF were you thinking? And you spent HOW much? That could have paid my college tuition!”

I received my 18 oz custom tweed trousers a couple of weeks ago. Gorgeous and fabulous! They are like a murky dark green/brown windowpain type of trouser cut for braces. None-the-less, I still wear them with thermal woolen pants underneath while inside. 18 oz doesn't even seem heavy enough, l could probably go 25 oz if the right type of fabric was available.

I've been wearing really thick woolens too. Really heavyweights rarely seen in the knitwear world.

I will order some Spring trousers soon (13 - 14 oz wool fabric), one in dark brown to go with tattersal shirts and the other in light bone to go with gingham check shirts. They will have wide legs and be cut for braces. I like a roomy trouser cut clean. I loathe most trousers sold in shops, they are cut for girlymen. Next year i'll get in early for tweed trousers and order another two pairs, l love them so much, and comfortable too.

I received my 18 oz custom tweed trousers a couple of weeks ago. Gorgeous and fabulous! They are like a murky dark green/brown windowpain type of trouser cut for braces. None-the-less, I still wear them with thermal woolen pants underneath while inside. 18 oz doesn't even seem heavy enough, l could probably go 25 oz if the right type of fabric was available.

I've been wearing really thick woolens too. Really heavyweights rarely seen in the knitwear world.

I will order some Spring trousers soon (13 - 14 oz wool fabric), one in dark brown to go with tattersal shirts and the other in light bone to go with gingham check shirts. They will have wide legs and be cut for braces. I like a roomy trouser cut clean. I loathe most trousers sold in shops, they are cut for girlymen. Next year i'll get in early for tweed trousers and order another two pairs, l love them so much, and comfortable too.

Pics or it didn't happen.

A pair of chinos (what they call their "traditional fit") from Land's End. RTW chinos (any other kind is iGentry and we don't do that) are the minefield of menswear. Especially if you order online, as I did. I thought, what the hell, it's only twenty quid.

Now that I've received them and worn them a few times, I can only say: God bless America. God bless their big thighs and large bums. Because it took a US label to finally get "traditional fit" right. The rise is decently high. The fabric is nice and soft and the stitching is pretty good too. You can get them hemmed at no extra cost. I got them hemmed, with turn-ups. I'm a cautious bloke and I thought: extra fabric, just in case. The hemming is a little shoddy, but nothing that can't be put right.

Also, a madras shirt from TM Lewin. Again, cheap as chips, nice and airy, and does the job.

So now I can go about in summer looking like a proper colonial fuckwit. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom