WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

A pair of chinos (what they call their "traditional fit") from Land's End. RTW chinos (any other kind is iGentry and we don't do that) are the minefield of menswear. Especially if you order online, as I did. I thought, what the hell, it's only twenty quid.

Now that I've received them and worn them a few times, I can only say: God bless America. God bless their big thighs and large bums. Because it took a US label to finally get "traditional fit" right. The rise is decently high. The fabric is nice and soft and the stitching is pretty good too. You can get them hemmed at no extra cost. I got them hemmed, with turn-ups. I'm a cautious bloke and I thought: extra fabric, just in case. The hemming is a little shoddy, but nothing that can't be put right.

Also, a madras shirt from TM Lewin. Again, cheap as chips, nice and airy, and does the job.

So now I can go about in summer looking like a proper colonial fuckwit. Nice.

Brooks Brothers Elliott fit is good too, but could be too roomy for some. The German brand Hiltl make exceptional traditional fit chinos as well. Never tried Cordings, but hear they're good.

Last edited:
Brooks Brothers Elliott fit is good too, but could be too roomy for some. The German brand Hiltl make exceptional traditional fit chinos as well. Never tried Cordings, but hear they're good.

The quality of Cordings items is second to none, but their chinos tend to be too roomy at the seat, a bit like Oliver Brown. They are also in a higher price bracket than the high-street brands.

I'd never heard of Hiltl. Where are they made? Are we sure they're worth 100+ euros a pair? We're in Cordings territory there.

You an sometimes get Hitl out here. I think shooey has some. I've seen them and they look like good for OTR trousers.

eBay Brooks Bro’s gun club check jacket. If the listed measurements are accurate this may not even need a trip to the tailor.

597DC7B9-F7A6-4C35-B665-97A203D05313.png

Hiltl is german and is indeed of a good quality.
I did not have much luck with Cordings. Too boxy overall and large in the seat for my taste, and metal closure ripped from fabric. ymmv.

I had a BIG try on with Cordings when I was in London. All their trousers types fitted differently. Some would have been hopeless for me but others. eg Cord, would have worked a size up with some alterations (slimming mainly) . I got a pair of twill trousers I was happy with. At least I know how to order others to work for me. Their cords still look great - but as far as I know they are all Brisbane Moss so you can search for it. Spier & Mackay and Luxire both have Brisbane Moss Cords.

Does anyone just buy trahseez from a shop ? It seems much easier.

How difficult can it be - especially for chinos? Marks or even Primark sell em. Maybe I’m not as fussy as other people.

Peter Christian is good for hardwearing moleskin and their country cords are great material (probably Brisbane Moss) though the cords are in a generous Donald Trump cut, which may not suit unless Oxford bags are your thing.

My problem with store OTR/RTW is getting a decent high rise - most else can be altered.

Lands End used to have high rise chinos but I think they changed that about the same time they shortened the collars on the famous Hyde Park OCBD. Luckily with the chinos I heard they had the old school high rise but slim cut in warehouse but not on website - I rang them and got 8 pairs or so in my size. Still got 6 of then in plastic wrap they arrived in.

I have some Peter Christian from years ago, all good except baggy - but slimmed down the legs and they are going great. I suspect they have lowered their rise in the last few years.

I've tried loads of stuff on in Marks & Sparks over the years whenever I've been in blighty - no luck with any trousers.

The £ was so low I couldn’t resist ordering a RAN submariner jumper:

71A80267-68AA-48A3-B841-7D9408492322.jpeg

Tempted to get one in navy, too, while they are cheap.

Last edited:
Now that’s a good looking jumper right there.
For outdoorsy stuff.
Would you not be roasting as soon as you stepped indoors with today’s modern heated houses?
It has the look of Jim Rockford in the Great Escape, wearing his under his RAF tunic.

Now that’s a good looking jumper right there.
For outdoorsy stuff.
Would you not be roasting as soon as you stepped indoors with today’s modern heated houses?
It has the look of Jim Rockford in the Great Escape, wearing his under his RAF tunic.

It is mostly for outdoors, but you are right. Whenever I wear a roll neck to work on a Friday I end up wishing I had an acceptable collared shirt and not a t-shirt underneath.l, to strip down to.

It is mostly for outdoors, but you are right. Whenever I wear a roll neck to work on a Friday I end up wishing I had an acceptable collared shirt and not a t-shirt underneath.l, to strip down to.
Yes I have seen submariner jumpers in Silvermans. The trouble is that even an ordinary sweater will not get much use in London these days and a roll neck will be very warm indeed when you are indoors.

I ordered these 18 oz tweed trousers cut for braces last time. Great trousers. They are a much darker green than in pic, they look fantastic in person. These are really comfy trousers, and manly.
20190905_151022.jpg

Here is a better representation of the colour, but still not as rich and dark as in real life. .
20190905_151932.jpg

Slightly too dark here. They are more dark creek green in real life.
20190905_151945.jpg

This time l ordered 14 oz gray prince of Wales check trousers with light blue faint check going through them. I wanted something different for spring and autumn. I wanted to have some fun. Will be good with light blue shirts and white shirts with black shoes.

I like unusual fabrics and manly fabrics.

I may also order bone trousers soon.

Last edited:
I live the office chair with studs. How come the rubber boots?

Ordered bright red custom cotton trousers for the warmer months of summer. I have always wanted red trousers but never could find a pair that was a good fit. Every pair of red pants/trousers l have tried has been an atrocious fit.
Red trousers cotton.jpg

I shall wear these trousers with a navy shirt with mother of pearl buttons and/or a navy gingham check shirt and a white shirt with tan shoos. Something unique and different for some fun, and on numerous occasions l will pair such trousers with navy bloo shoos.

I have always wanted red trousers

Same.....always wanted.

I have red linen jean style pants and off red khakis that I never wear...because I don't really wear khakis. I just always really nice red trousers.

Will look fwd to the finished product.

Nice! Has your area flooded? Near my future inlaws, water height was knee deep.

I live on high ground, though I’ve been so busy leading the response I’ve barely been home since it began. This is a pic of the water level in our Beaumont office:

896782D7-E074-484D-A332-ABAA27D7C41B.jpeg

Wow! All of her family lives in the Kingwood/Porter area, and they got flooded pretty bad.

Ooph. Kingwood was the worst hit within the city/county (most of the impacted areas were to the East: Winnie, Beaumont, Vidor etc). I did a few med air rescue helicopter flights over Kingwood during Harvey, but this time I never made it out of the Command Center.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate is going to tell you horizontal stripes make you gain pounds or something.

I like it - would work well under a lot of the casual jackets I’ve seen you post.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate is going to tell you horizontal stripes make you gain pounds or something.

I like it - would work well under a lot of the casual jackets I’ve seen you post.
Probably with some loose light Uniqlo linen trousers , and a linen shirt over but undone, and white canvas chucks.
Also works under black leather jacket.
In a perfect world I’d like a long sleeved boat neck Breton t shirt. But I can’t find any I can try on.

In a perfect world I’d like a long sleeved boat neck Breton t shirt. But I can’t find any I can try on.

Soviet/Russian VDV para telnyashka. So cheap you can risk a sizing mistake ordering online. The Russian navy also wear them - but the blue stripe is a darker navy.

Eddie Bauer recent vintage although I can't find much info on this Mt. Adams pullover. Barely any wear.

Thought it would make a good fall/winter shell layer. I dislike hardshell, like soft-shell but I dig a cotton shell layer for cold weather and especially winter. Ventile and Eta-Proof are great and have better performance, but that shit has gotten expensive.

Nice weight cotton canvas it will have good windproofness. I'll cotton proof it with Nikwax for moisture resistance and a DWR. Will wear it over various layers as the temps get colder. Plus it will work with -35+ C rig. Deep zipper for venting and easier on/off. Mitt/Glove hanger. Bellows chest pockets and hip pockets. Beefy YKK zipper though its plastic. Good sized adjustable hood.

1569643431385.png

1569643913940.jpeg

1569644144148.jpeg

1569645938891.jpeg

1569644347200.jpeg

Soviet/Russian VDV para telnyashka. So cheap you can risk a sizing mistake ordering online. The Russian navy also wear them - but the blue stripe is a darker navy.
Thanks for that - might give it a go.

Last edited:
I've been wanting a good umbrella for ages and decided to this this vintage James Smith made in England. Looks really solid.
upload pictures for free

I've had o.k umbrellas before, but not the fancy extra solid ones like my grandfather used to own. It's about time l had a good one.

I also bought this sun canopy umbrella a couple of years ago for when it is hot sun in Oz without shade. It is U.V coated and a beauty.

Last edited:
great, lets choose three emaciated twigs, including two of the greatest artists ever and james fucking dean, as our source material to refute the idea that fat people look like shit in horizontal stripes. that oughta show em'!
Why you so grumpy Mr R?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom