WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Found an old school second hand book shop in Dordrecht yesterday and picked-up the 1987 edition of Graham Greene's Our Man In Havana for Euro 5.00. The Penguin edition was GBP 2.50 back then. Never got around to Graham Greene, or P.G. Wodehouse. I guess I've missed some good stuff. I didn't like Greene's prose style when I was a young lad.

A good book and some sartorial comment in the MI6 operator Hawthorne, who wears a crumpled worn suit back in London to blend in, but wears a beaming tropical suit in the tropics.

My most recent purchase was a Chunky Knit Kiton Cashmere Sweater that is absolutely stunning and quite heavy. I don't normally spend this much on a sweater or cardigan but I felt this would be a good investment piece that will last me many many years. I posted some photos of it in the knitwear thread.

Found an old school second hand book shop in Dordrecht yesterday and picked-up the 1987 edition of Graham Greene's Our Man In Havana for Euro 5.00. The Penguin edition was GBP 2.50 back then. Never got around to Graham Greene, or P.G. Wodehouse. I guess I've missed some good stuff. I didn't like Greene's prose style when I was a young lad.

A good book and some sartorial comment in the MI6 operator Hawthorne, who wears a crumpled worn suit back in London to blend in, but wears a beaming tropical suit in the tropics.
Yes re read it not too long ago. A bit easier than his book about the whisky priest in Mexico.

Saw the film too - Alec Guinness, Noel Coward etc. I preferred Guinness in ‘The Man in The White Suit’ to continue the sartorial theme.

Linen shirt. Trousers linen/ cotton. Shirt half sleeves - all good

1570157415753.png
1570157428911.png

Yes re read it not too long ago. A bit easier than his book about the whisky priest in Mexico.

Saw the film too - Alec Guinness, Noel Coward etc. I preferred Guinness in ‘The Man in The White Suit’ to continue the sartorial theme.

Whisky priests in Mexico, sounds right up my street! I'm going to read Brighton Rock next. Also got Alan Sillitoe's angry young man classic Saturday Night Sunday Morning. Read that in the fifth year of secondary school there was a whole syllabus on the angry young men and kitchen sink drama back then.

I've tried to find the film of Our Man In Havana, but I only find clips on Youtube.

Short sleeved shirts like that should only be worn by airline pilots, door-to-door Mormons and techies working in Mission Control during the Apollo missions.

You forget the gormless assistant at the help desk in DIY supply stores. With a clip on tie of course.

Short sleeved shirts like that should only be worn by airline pilots, door-to-door Mormons and techies working in Mission Control during the Apollo missions.
Jesus I’m a grumpy old AAAC rules enforcer, and usually prescribe long sleeves rolled up and SOCKs. But even I will relent over 30C.

Jesus I’m a grumpy old AAAC rules enforcer, and usually prescribe long sleeves rolled up and SOCKs. But even I will relent over 30C.
I realise Australia is a big place with weather differences but this post is at odds with that weak tart Convict who seems to need to encase himself in multiple layers of cashmere and tweed just to stroll out for the papers on a mild day.
What the hell did all those British people decamp down under for in the seventies if it wasn’t for decent weather? It certainly wasn’t the culture?

I am the biggest fan of the John Lobb for Paul Smith limited editions, and l bought almost half of the entire collection put out years ago, and it's one of the best things l ever did because the collection is STUNNING and fits me better than anything else in rtw. BUT....l messed up years ago because when l come back to snag my final pair of purple shoos the store had packed them all up and sent them back to London. I had major regrets and never quite got over it. I searched and searched and dreamed hard for years hoping to get that purple pair of Westbournes to complete my fancy John Lobb collection, but despite searching the world and contacting many shops it eluded me year after year. But today a dream has come true...l found that final pair i've been after all these years.

Here my BIG Johnny Lobb (pics take from online, but it looks exactly like this).

My others pairs are these:
photo sharing
the nearest petrol station

and the finest rtw Derby I have ever seen! These always blow me away. No-one does shoes like John Lobb.

I love all these pairs of John Lobbs like you wouldn't believe. I feel beyond lucky to own them. I cherish them and love them much more than G&G and Edward Green and all of them. I love the colours, the patterns, the lasts and the overall style. I love the thick leathers and the John Lobb way.

I don't buy shoos much these days, but when l do it needs to be an EVENT!!!
20191009_183831.jpg

Last edited:
I never found Houston to be cold enough for more than a sweater. Tahoe though will be cold.

Very nice combo though.

I have been to Tahoe. A ski jacket might be better. Heavenly, Sierra, Kirkwood and Squaw Valley are just down the road.

We go twice a year and stay in a family chalet close to Heavenly. Last few years I wore a Barbour Sapper with some base layers. I’ve moved on to the Beaufort because it’s a bit roomier for layering and I don’t like the M65-style collar on the Sapper.

It’s light enough that I can still get a lot of wear out of it when I’m out shooting, hunting or just standing on the sidelines of the kids’ sports matches.

E041AF2F-C9D1-44B8-AAEA-34BC55B7A08B.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a few glasses of wine last night. Apparently I won a Southwick flannel jacket. The price was good but I doubt it will fit without spending four times what I just paid in alterations.

C8E82821-BE81-49FC-A52A-A866659BFAC6.jpeg

The SF way

I’ll flip it on B&S I’d it is too far from a decent fit.

I got a couple of turtlenecks from S&M sale above. The standard merino is thin but soft. Doesn’t pill badly and a better alternative to anything you’d find at H&M. Good but disposable layering. The cableknit, on the other hand, is chunky and soft. Excellent value and still available on the BF sale.

$12 drunken eBay purchase actually fits ok. southwicks flannel. Box was waiting for me in the office. Obviously it doesn’t go with taupe sweater.
AD192BFD-B821-4D4F-89DB-786F3D344F64.jpeg

Nice tie. Though I often wonder who buys ties these days, let alone ' brand new'. I have over a 100 ties and I wear them once a month, twice, if I am lucky.

A couple of merino jumpers on sale at Uniqlo. Maroon and blue.

Surprisingly Crompton approves of Uniqlo merino - for poor people - even though they cost less than he would pay for one of those artificial buttonhole flowers(are they still fashionable?)

Also got some of their socks, which are decent alternative to Marks and Spencer’s.

Could not see any fleeces though apart from dreadful fluffy ones. Uniqlo used to be good for cheap, indestructible serviceable fleeces.

A couple of merino jumpers on sale at Uniqlo. Maroon and blue.

Surprisingly Crompton approves of Uniqlo merino - for poor people - even though they cost less than he would pay for one of those artificial buttonhole flowers(are they still fashionable?)

Also got some of their socks, which are decent alternative to Marks and Spencer’s.

Could not see any fleeces though apart from dreadful fluffy ones. Uniqlo used to be good for cheap, indestructible serviceable fleeces.

'fraid I cannot comment on their Outer Mongolian Pure Yak Sustainable jumpers, but I bought a couple of Supima T-shirts. Cheap, do the job. Soft and comfy.

One Star Leather was having a COVID sale a few months ago so I ordered a new belt and a wallet in veg tan to replace my previous one (7yrs and too stretched but still strong) which was once CXL8.

D11A7A8F-FC42-4B35-8319-CD87C92902EA.jpeg

Their socks are really good value.
In February we went to Alta in Norway to chase the Northern Lights and their ultra thermal thing whatever turtleneck shirts and long underwear were excellent for outside conditions (-5 to -15c at night)

Their socks are really good value.
In February we went to Alta in Norway to chase the Northern Lights and their ultra thermal thing whatever turtleneck shirts and long underwear were excellent for outside conditions (-5 to -15c at night)
I have only been to Alta in Utah - in 2002 just after the Winter Olympics. I had Icebreaker New Zealand merino thermals. I also have cheaper thermals in man made fibres. No moth issues with those.

I bought a second Mid Life Crisis Leather Jacket, in preparation for turning 50 next winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom