WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Not getting this Lumpen is Sarto thing. Is it an "in" joke? Lumpen is sound but he can't make ties. Sarto makes great ties but never leaves his work shop. Lumpen can lead you to Sarto.
It's a little play hide and seek, but it's actually totally irrelevant whether Lumpen Lumpen is Sarto or not.
Still waiting for my ties to come, I can already say that Sarto is a nice person, who totally supported me in the process of ordering and buying.
I would certainly recommend him.

It's a little play hide and seek, but it's actually totally irrelevant whether Lumpen Lumpen is Sarto or not.
Still waiting for my ties to come, I can already say that Sarto is a nice person, who totally supported me in the process of ordering and buying.
I would certainly recommend him.
Nice for you to hold an opinion on this even if you don't know the history and it is completely wrong. It is very relevant if Lumpen and Sarto are the same because it was moderation that created this by banning Sarto. It is not his cute little game of hide and seek that has resulted in this arrangement.

You and Sauce Sauce should explain the process of ordering ties from Sarto because he is too mentally ill to pause with his craziness to explain it himself to potential customers here. In fact, we gave Sarto the opportunity to put up a thread to showcase his tissues, shirts and ties and to facilitate purchases but he was more interested in freeing up his Sarto account for his fantasy ramblings and not e-commerce.

Nice for you to hold an opinion on this even if you don't know the history and it is completely wrong. It is very relevant if Lumpen and Sarto are the same because it was moderation that created this by banning Sarto. It is not his cute little game of hide and seek that has resulted in this arrangement.

You and Sauce Sauce should explain the process of ordering ties from Sarto because he is too mentally ill to pause with his craziness to explain it himself to potential customers here. In fact, we gave Sarto the opportunity to put up a thread to showcase his tissues, shirts and ties and to facilitate purchases but he was more interested in freeing up his Sarto account for his fantasy ramblings and not e-commerce.

Untrue, you got Sarto linked with crap and deep antisemitism and denied deleted it as poor unmoderators, while he is deep denuncer of damn antisemitics and whoever betrays or spots the Saint Tradition or their Apostles.

Omg. What is this childish rubbish? How much longer is this going to go on?
Can't we just enjoy Floris' and Sauce's enthusiasm?

I thought I'd done that in the review thread? A quite brilliant write up, if I do say so myself. Infact it was that fantastic I've had G&Q to get in touch about having my own column in their magazine following my eloquent transcription on Sartodinapoli ties.

Last edited:
Omg. What is this childish rubbish? How much longer is this going to go on?
Can't we just enjoy Floris' and Sauce's enthusiasm?
we happily can but its also important for the members of the forum who might be browsing and are interested in sarto's ties to know what they are getting involved with. frankie's always been a good tailor. he's also always been nuttier than a fruitcake. people should know that ahead of time.

The T&A shirts have arrived:
IMG_2526.jpg

The one on the left is interesting...
It is indeed, my eldest said that was a good shirt, but the other two the same style I always buy. In fact, I didn't realise at the time, the one on the right, I already have the same shirting, but in a slim-fit with one of the different collars from T&A. I'm okay with a slim-fit, except when I sit down.
I like colours and patterns, not so the placket, I decisively prefer shirts without it.
I'm buying RTW from T&A so not much of a choice there, unless I take the MTM option.

Something loud:

Something loud:
Shame, it doesn't match my Yakuza tattoos.

I just bought six pairs of pyjama bottoms to refresh the sleepwear collection. Five from Bonsoir of London and one pair from British Boxers.

nice. Derby. In some circles they are considered the same. I find myself referring to the interchangeably, but, this is a Blucher. Lacing is sewn in versus rising up from the quarter and vamp in a derby.
View attachment 39134
Blutchers = derbies. These are wholecut blutchers or wholecut derbies, as they're made of a single piece of leather.

I wear long sleeve pjs and long pjs pants. Can’t stand uneven temperature over body.

plus it looks respectable if I get visitors.

If I get visitors in my bed, I’m not sure I want to look respectable.
The other day my friends decided to surprise me with a present of a call girl.

I got a knock on my door ::
“Who is there?”
” I’m here from Super Sex”

me::
“Sorry what was that?”

”Anything you want - Super Sex”

Me::
”I’ll have the soup thanks”

Bluchers*

And no, bluchers are not the same as derbies.
Ah, yes, thank you for the first correction.

The second, though, I stand by. I know that some bloggers distinguish the two, but EG, C&J, Pediwear, Alden, etc. don't. Took a quick look through some books by authors like Villarosa, Flusser, Boyer, etc, and neither did any of them. I prefer the company of these organizations and individuals to a few bloggers.

nice. Derby. In some circles they are considered the same. I find myself referring to the interchangeably, but, this is a Blucher. Lacing is sewn in versus rising up from the quarter and vamp in a derby.
View attachment 39134
Blutchers = derbies. These are wholecut blutchers or wholecut derbies, as they're made of a single piece of leather.
Bluchers*

And no, bluchers are not the same as derbies.

The second, though, I stand by. I know that some bloggers distinguish the two, but EG, C&J, Pediwear, Alden, etc. don't. Took a quick look through some books by authors like Villarosa, Flusser, Boyer, etc, and neither did any of them. I prefer the company of these organizations and individuals to a few bloggers.

I live in Germany and curiously here we don't refer to that kind of shoes as bluchers, even though the term originates from the name of a Prussian general, we call them derbies. There are possibly differences among the different English speaking countries?

From Gentleman's Gazette:
In the U.S., the term derby and blucher are often used interchangeably, and in fact they are both shoes with an open lace system. While the derby has 2 quarters that are sewn together and a vamp with a tongue, the blucher has small pieces of leather sewn onto the vamp creating the lacing system.

Bro, they aren't the same, except in the lacing system. Once you see that one is sewn into the quarters and the other into the vamp, it's pretty easy to tell them apart.
derby-shoes-men_2.png
leeds-9526-walnut-profile-web-c.jpg

Do you spot the difference? This is an intelligence test.

Manufacturers routinely mix the two up, but that's no excuse to persist in ignorance.

Ditching Rick, getting into BBS.

Got a pair of black resin dyed BBS jeans, should be interesting to see.

Yes, I see the difference in the two pictures. No need to be petty. As I mentioned, the ones below are wholecut bluchers/derbies. As such, they don't really have a vamp or quarters.

The Gentleman's Gazette seems to be the main source for this distinction, as florisgreen florisgreen quoted above. But I don't take that site or other blogs as authoritative.

It all depends on whom you find authoritative, a few dilettante bloggers, raised on the internet, or established, professional, respected makers and authors? The one distinction that seems to be common is that in the UK, derby is preferred, whereas in the US, it's blucher. Same shoes, different name, whether wholecut or not.

Edit: florisgreen florisgreen , perhaps derby is the preferred term in Germany because English programs there tend to follow British English more than American. I would love to see the original boot designs by/for Prince Bluecher and the Earl of Derby. If those original designs correspond to the distinction Otto and the blogs prescribe, I might follow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom