WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Yeah I would keep in on hand. I've had odd ball stuff like wool bow ties made from extra fabric, but generally keep it stored for collar or cuff repair and such

Treated myself to a new coat today. Cloth is from Loro Piana's Pecora Nera collection, great touch. Its got a slight sheen to it like there a bit of silk in it but its 100% worsted wool. The whole range is undyed from the black Merino sheep in New Zealand. Magic stuff.

242101720_951667258723794_6958819384363789261_n.jpg
242104589_386841449680170_5682616656764074626_n.jpg

Treated myself to a new coat today. Cloth is from Loro Piana's Pecora Nera collection, great touch. Its got a slight sheen to it like there a bit of silk in it but its 100% worsted wool. The whole range is undyed from the black Merino sheep in New Zealand. Magic stuff.

View attachment 41343View attachment 41344

Looks great. I think The Armoury promoted this fabric a while back.

Does it wear very warm? And is this RTW?

Apologies if I’m asking too many questions. I’m trying to find quality RTW that might fit me.

I've only worn it in the shop so can't answer that yet, Alex. Yes, its RTW from Cavor. Their outerwear is made by the same factory that makes for Stoffa among others. Really well made stuff across all their lines. They have a website and its free returns if you're not happy with fit or product. I know they mark their prices down to avoid custom charges. Always top cloths used. So worth a punt if you see something you like...

View attachment 41343View attachment 41344

Looks sharp. Need a fit pic.

Not to be pedantic but if it’s 100% wool where does the silk come in? Is this just marketing from LP or is it the percentage basically almost 100% wool and whatever other percentages are in there?

Looks sharp. Need a fit pic.

Not to be pedantic but if it’s 100% wool where does the silk come in? Is this just marketing from LP or is it the percentage basically almost 100% wool and whatever other percentages are in there?
I wrote, its got a slight sheen to it, like it has silk in it but its 100% wool. But without grammar and a key word missing. Sometimes I can't understand what I wrote myself so I fully understand you not being able to. Nothing pedantic about it.

Sea Island cotton sweater and a Merino sweater from John Smedley. Egyptian cotton shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt. Supima cotton shirts, polo, and sweaters from Lands End.

Sea Island cotton sweater and a Merino sweater from John Smedley. Egyptian cotton shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt. Supima cotton shirts, polo, and sweaters from Lands End.
Find I get most wear out of my cotton sweaters here. Woolen jumpers are start or middle of November through to February. Cotton jumpers you can start about now and go through to end of April.

Bought this lovely “cocoa brown” William Lockie lambswool rib-knit shawl collar cardigan. Dense, compact, warm af. Weirdly enough, I wasn’t able to find a similar model in the UK (maybe not looking in the right places), so ended up getting it from Baltzar in Sweden.

1632903556940.jpeg

1632903589547.jpeg

Weirdly enough, I wasn’t able to find a similar model in the UK (maybe not looking in the right places), so ended up getting it from Baltzar in Sweden.

Nevermind, I was indeed not looking in the right places. A.Hume, Teviotdale, and possibly others carry it

Another pair of Tres Noir sunglasses. I like the brand: independent and hand made with acetate in the US, still relatively cheap.

B433955B-4EB2-4DE0-B1F8-C86AA52FFEB0.jpeg

Bought this lovely “cocoa brown” William Lockie lambswool rib-knit shawl collar cardigan. Dense, compact, warm af. Weirdly enough, I wasn’t able to find a similar model in the UK (maybe not looking in the right places), so ended up getting it from Baltzar in Sweden.

View attachment 41488
View attachment 41489
I've been after a cardi like that for ages. A shop in town stocked the Drakes one but the large was to tight and their XL was massive on me.

View attachment 41488
View attachment 41489
Have the same model in cashmere and in camel, love both of them dearly!

oooh don’t tempt me, I’ve been considering a camel one for a while!!!
Beware, it is hairy af, they ran out of bald camels! But seriously, I wear the camel even more than the cashmere. I don’t think there is much difference in warmth, but the camel is a bit lighter and wears more comfortably.

Beware, it is hairy af, they ran out of bald camels! But seriously, I wear the camel even more than the cashmere. I don’t think there is much difference in warmth, but the camel is a bit lighter and wears more comfortably.
It’s William Lockie?

Yes both are the Lockie Windsor model

I couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on this one.

Will report back in a few days

I couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on this one.

Will report back in a few days
Please report back. Did you go for a 46?

gbp 50.00 delivery charges to where I am right now!

1633073207441.png

The William Lockie camel hair jacket is very decent indeed. I wouldn't mind getting one of them for when it's properly cold here.

Meanwhile, down in the cheap seats, was in Uniqlo with the kids and pulled the trigger on their lesser equivalent, a v-neck and long sleeve polo. In the extra fine merino wool. Washable too. Cheap as chips, so it's not going to hurt you if you throwaway after a couple of washes, or one season, or even half a season. The fit is good too.

Normally I stick with cotton jumpers from now until the middle of November. These are Brooks Brothers and Maryland brand from The English Hatter. The BB's are right in thickness, but the jumpers are formless and look like a blob. The Maryland's are cotton jumpers pretending to be lambs wool. Really thick. None of them do the business 100% for me. And it's way too warm yet to put on the William Lockie's.

The extra fine merino looks like an alternative to the cotton jumpers. They're really thin, but that's probably what I'm looking for to cover the next six weeks.

How is the size? Did you size up? I am very tempted even though I would only wear it a couple of days a year.....

I did size up (46 instead of my usual 44), but I don’t mind a looser fit on cardigans. It is a tad long (I’ll take a full torso picture in the coming days), and if I wear it with only one button buttoned it looks a little bit ridiculous.

How is the size? Did you size up? I am very tempted even though I would only wear it a couple of days a year.....
If I'd buy them again, I'd get the camel in my regular size and the cashmere one size up. It fits a lot tighter, because it is so much more material. It will wear out and get bigger, but since it is excellent quality and I only wear it for 3-4 months a couple of hours each day, that will take some time. So I'd rather get the bigger one right away.

The William Lockie camel hair jacket is very decent indeed. I wouldn't mind getting one of them for when it's properly cold here.

Meanwhile, down in the cheap seats, was in Uniqlo with the kids and pulled the trigger on their lesser equivalent, a v-neck and long sleeve polo. In the extra fine merino wool. Washable too. Cheap as chips, so it's not going to hurt you if you throwaway after a couple of washes, or one season, or even half a season. The fit is good too.

Normally I stick with cotton jumpers from now until the middle of November. These are Brooks Brothers and Maryland brand from The English Hatter. The BB's are right in thickness, but the jumpers are formless and look like a blob. The Maryland's are cotton jumpers pretending to be lambs wool. Really thick. None of them do the business 100% for me. And it's way too warm yet to put on the William Lockie's.

The extra fine merino looks like an alternative to the cotton jumpers. They're really thin, but that's probably what I'm looking for to cover the next six weeks.
I used to think the same way a few years ago but not anymore. With the amount of clothes we all have i think is better to have a few good old things that a lot of crap that lasts less than a season. Having said i that a merino cardigan from uniqlo from a few seasons ago and I am really happy with the quality and price i paid.

I dont like cotton jumpers, i dont know why I used to have quite a few from Ralph Lauren. Right now I only have one from ............. Uniqlo and another one from Massimo Dutti but i never wear them anymore. They are at the back of the wardrobe.

Yeah, Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith seems enamoured with cotton jumpers and has toed that line for ages here. Certainly, beats to his own cotton drum. In my experience and the general consensus is that cotton knitwear sucks. It is neither fish nor fowl and so essentially pointless.

Admittedly, I don't get cold as most here but if I need to wear a cotton knit, I'd rather wear a linen one (not many about admittedly) or simply put on a shirt.

I used to think the same way a few years ago but not anymore. With the amount of clothes we all have i think is better to have a few good old things that a lot of crap that lasts less than a season. Having said i that a merino cardigan from uniqlo from a few seasons ago and I am really happy with the quality and price i paid.

I dont like cotton jumpers, i dont know why I used to have quite a few from Ralph Lauren. Right now I only have one from ............. Uniqlo and another one from Massimo Dutti but i never wear them anymore. They are at the back of the wardrobe.
I love thick and thin cotton sweaters.
I remember my first thick sweater from the now discontinued brand Blazer, later bought by Moss Bros. I have something similar from Lands End in Supima cotton and of course I couldn't live without my John Smedley Sea Island cotton sweaters.

Yeah, Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith seems enamoured with cotton jumpers and has toed that line for ages here. Certainly, beats to his own cotton drum. In my experience and the general consensus is that cotton knitwear sucks. It is neither fish nor fowl and so essentially pointless.

Admittedly, I don't get cold as most here but if I need to wear a cotton knit, I'd rather wear a linen one (not many about admittedly) or simply put on a shirt.
I wear my cotton sweaters over a shirt.
I love a thick cotton sweater over an OCBD.

20211003_192107.jpg

Last edited:

I seem to be a couple of drinks behind you, as you're drunk and rambling. Do you mind if I join you?

What I stated was that cotton jumpers are necessary in the autumn here.
I wear my cotton sweaters over a shirt.
I love a thick cotton sweater over an OCBD.

View attachment 41579
The issues I have with cotton jumpers is that in general they're not as good quality as woolen ones and in terms of the colour range and their boldness there is much less of a choice. But you definitely need them in climates such as England and the Netherlands. I had a rusty red Brooks Brothers one on today over a Lacoste polo shirt.

I prefer wool to cotton and I only have one cotton sweater, an Alan Paine submariner. Really nice sweater. First cotton sweater I've had that hasn't gone to shit after washing it a few times.

I seem to be a couple of drinks behind you, as you're drunk and rambling. Do you mind if I join you?

What I stated was that cotton jumpers are necessary in the autumn here.

The issues I have with cotton jumpers is that in general they're not as good quality as woolen ones and in terms of the colour range and their boldness there is much less of a choice. But you definitely need them in climates such as England and the Netherlands. I had a rusty red Brooks Brothers one on today over a Lacoste polo shirt.
Having lived in both countries and didn't need a cotton jumper, I don't quite agree.

I guess it is a matter of taste. Animal fibres > cotton for knitwear in my experience. As espoused above, cotton jumpers almost always lose their shape, are almost always 'flat' akin to a geography teacher at a rough comprehensive and has little to no textural interest.

A few years ago I drove to Northampton on the meandering way to London from Scotland. Went to EG. From memory I thought they had a parking lot at factory - I may be wrong.

I didn't think it was "outside town" but then I'm from Australia and everything in UK seemed just next to each other. Even in the "wilderness" or country you never seemed to be further than a 20 min short walk away from a pub !!!
You are never more than about 70 miles away from the coast in the UK.

When you compare the size of the UK with other Anglo countries like the US, Canada, and Oz it doesn't surprise me that they don't get how compact a nation the UK is, especially England. The feedback loop of what is happening in other parts of the UK is very short unless you reside in the quasi-city state of London that is whose inhabitants know fuck all about what happens in the UK outside the M25.

. The feedback loop of what is happening in other parts of the UK is very short unless you reside in the quasi-city state of London that is whose inhabitants know fuck all about what happens in the UK outside the M25.

Wait, you mean there’s life outside of the M25??

Having lived in both countries and didn't need a cotton jumper, I don't quite agree.

I guess it is a matter of taste. Animal fibres > cotton for knitwear in my experience. As espoused above, cotton jumpers almost always lose their shape, are almost always 'flat' akin to a geography teacher at a rough comprehensive and has little to no textural interest.
We're referring to personal preference and how one feels the cold, or not. I personally, find woollen jumpers too warm this time of year, so I wear cotton ones which have the problems of lack of shape, etc., until it gets a bit colder. It's just what it is. That's why I'm trying the micro-merino Uniqlo jumpers to see if they're a better stop gap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom