What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Ad Vitem ep 1 was kinda interesting. Too early to say I’d recommend it, but so far so good.

We Are the Wave was well made, but ultimately the story fell flat.

That's strange. Netflix doesn't let you save The Crown locally. I've been watching Jack Ryan - season 2. It's pretty predictable but good if you enjoy shows like 24.

191121-baby-yoda-cs-959a_ed40d38efa3cde7ab92df2d5492a81a5.fit-760w.jpg

What the hell is that?

‘war of the worlds’ BBC version ‘based on’ HG Wells novel.

Really annoying subplot about a divorce and the role of women distracts from the main story.

That's strange. Netflix doesn't let you save The Crown locally. I've been watching Jack Ryan - season 2. It's pretty predictable but good if you enjoy shows like 24.

I've watched to the end of the coup that never was episode and Charles Dance is excellent as Mountbatten. Captures his aristocratic poise and style rather well. You don't see old men with that flair anymore, at least not in these parts. The old timers of that generation knew how to walk into a room with gravitas and presence.

I've watched to the end of the coup that never was episode and Charles Dance is excellent as Mountbatten. Captures his aristocratic poise and style rather well. You don't see old men with that flair anymore, at least not in these parts. The old timers of that generation knew how to walk into a room with gravitas and presence.

I'm only on the third episode.

"Without wishing to prompt your Majesty you may wish to consider that this is Wales, not England. A display of emotion would not just be considered appropriate, it's expected."

Does that mean the English are more reserved than the Welsh?

I'm only on the third episode.

"Without wishing to prompt your Majesty you may wish to consider that this is Wales, not England. A display of emotion would not just be considered appropriate, it's expected."

Does that mean the English are more reserved than the Welsh?

No, the Welsh can be a pretty dour bunch too. However, when it comes to horizontal inert boring and emotionally crippled you have to go along way to beat those from the Home Counties. They consider any display of fun or emotion as being loud and obnoxious.

I finally finished The Crown. I might have to watch the last episode again as I was distracted.

The production values are grand but only the soundtrack reflected that turbulent era. No mention of Vietnam. No mention of the modern music and arts. No mention of the decolonisation and the follow on effect of immigrants streaming into Britain.

I learnt more about Princess Anne.

The whole season only reconfirmed my beliefs that Prince Charles is completely unsuited to be king. He is lacking in original thought or character. Any that he espouses or claims the mantle to are suggested or influenced by those around him. If these stories are anywhere close to the truth he really could be the next Edward VIII.

Last edited:
The whole season only reconfirmed my beliefs that Prince Charles is completely unsuited to be king. He is lacking in original thought or character. Any that he espouses or claims the mantle to are suggested or influenced by those around him. If these stories are anywhere close to the truth he really could be the next Edward VIII.
i gotta ask fwiffs, as someone who follows the crown, why did it take you until now to figure out that charles was a tit?

Can’t make it through the V Wars garbage. I really tried, too.

Next up: Nightflyers or It Comes at Night

i gotta ask fwiffs, as someone who follows the crown, why did it take you until now to figure out that charles was a tit?

I am concerned more than a television show observer. I am concerned because he will be my king. I knew he was merely repeating ideas of others on some things. His infatuation with wind energy and sustainable English countryside hamlets organised around pedestrians rather than vehicles aren't genuine. If someone else had persuaded him urban density in skyscrapers and nuclear power were the way to go I can see him becoming a spokesperson for that. I don't associate him with integrity because of lack of strong character.

His father, the Duke of Edinburgh, was racist and condescending but at least the man was consistent and had a strong conviction in what his values are. That he grew up practically an orphan is even more commendable.

Charles associating himself with a former monarch who was going to trade in his own people and connive with a mortal enemy that demanded the finest hour of his nation is a blatant example of his selfishness. You serve the people and the country and not yourself. When duty calls, you don't evaluate whether it's convenient, agrees with your spouse/partner or whether it makes you look good - you answer the call because it's your duty. This man is incapable of that.

Charles associating himself with a former monarch who was going to trade in his own people and connive with a mortal enemy that demanded the finest hour of his nation is a blatant example of his selfishness. You serve the people and the country and not yourself. When duty calls, you don't evaluate whether it's convenient, agrees with your spouse/partner or whether it makes you look good - you answer the call because it's your duty. This man is incapable of that.

I haven't watched the full series yet, but once Mountbatten as mentor was gone, Charles character flaws and weaknesses came to the fore. Combined with the unstable Diana it was always going to be a mess. He had style in the late 70s and 80s and still does.

I haven't watched the full series yet, but once Mountbatten as mentor was gone, Charles character flaws and weaknesses came to the fore. Combined with the unstable Diana it was always going to be a mess. He had style in the late 70s and 80s and still does.

Brilliant - great sartorial style. More parallels to the disastrous Edward VIII.

I am concerned more than a television show observer. I am concerned because he will be my king. I knew he was merely repeating ideas of others on some things. His infatuation with wind energy and sustainable English countryside hamlets organised around pedestrians rather than vehicles aren't genuine. If someone else had persuaded him urban density in skyscrapers and nuclear power were the way to go I can see him becoming a spokesperson for that. I don't associate him with integrity because of lack of strong character.

His father, the Duke of Edinburgh, was racist and condescending but at least the man was consistent and had a strong conviction in what his values are. That he grew up practically an orphan is even more commendable.

He will be your king? So his character is important because his face will be on our money?

Years after being recommended to try it, I have Netflix.

I am watching ‘Arrested Development’ from the very beginning. I had seen early episodes sporadically on the BBC but always in a late slot after ‘Match of The Day’.

One of the best American TV comedies ever. Nearly as good as ‘Soap’.

He will be your king? So his character is important because his face will be on our money?

He will be your king too unless you recently moved.

His character is important because I don't look forward to his activism and desperate need to change things so he can make a mark on things during his much shorter reign. Since he has no character all of the changes will be influenced by the sycophants around him. Doubtless one of them will scream the monarchy needs to be more transparent.

He will be your king too unless you recently moved.

His character is important because I don't look forward to his activism and desperate need to change things so he can make a mark on things during his much shorter reign. Since he has no character all of the changes will be influenced by the sycophants around him. Doubtless one of them will scream the monarchy needs to be more transparent.

yes, my king too. Precisely. His face on money and the Christmas greeting are all that is relevant to Canada and Canadians from the royals

yes, my king too. Precisely. His face on money and the Christmas greeting are all that is relevant to Canada and Canadians from the royals

Surely you remember the prorogation of parliament during the depths of the Great Recession by the Governor General and whether she had rights at the time to do it on the advice of the PM or whether the opposition could appeal to HM Queen to ignore that advice.

Surely you remember the prorogation of parliament during the depths of the Great Recession by the Governor General and whether she had rights at the time to do it on the advice of the PM or whether the opposition could appeal to HM Queen to ignore that advice.

I like to refer people to two items when they try to bring up the role of the Queen.

The power of veto by the Crown is now admitted to be obsolete and practically non-existent. The expression ‘Le Roi’ or ‘La Reine s’avisera’ has not been heard in the British Parliament since 1707, in the reign of Queen Anne, and will in all probability never be heard again. The Ministers [of the Crown] in such cases if they decline to accept the responsibility of submitting the Bill for royal assent must resign and leave to others the duty of doing
[Canada. Privy Council Office, Manual of Official Procedure of the Government of Canada: Appendices, Henry F. Davis and André Millar.(Ottawa, Government of Canada, 1968): 469-470

The Constitution Act, 1867 […] expressly confers upon the Queen or the Governor General the power to withhold the royal assent from a bill that has been enacted by the two Houses of Parliament (s. 55), but a convention stipulates that the royal assent shall never be withheld
Peter W. Hogg, The Constitutional Law, 2011 Student Edition (Toronto: Thomas-Reuters Canada Ltd., 2011): 1-21 to 1-22

Anyone seen the new BBC Dracula show? If so how is it?

Is that the one that hits Netflix tomorrow? Also interested.

The Expanse S4 was very good - it’s not slipping at all.

Tomorrow at the gym I’m going to start Messiah.

“Just finished The Last Kingdom. Quite liked it.”

TOLD YOU IT WAS GOOD.
The hero is a Northumbrian who gets raised by Danes and consequently speaks with a South African accent.

Lots of scenes with him riding through the empty Hungarian countryside. Lots of noisy violence. Mandatory throat slitting in every episode. The Danes can be recognised by their bulky fur coats. They look like they are in a heavy metal band. Some of their leaders wear ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ makeup.

Loosely based on history. Watcheable but you may want to skim much of it.

The Mandalorian was better than any of the star wars movies. by a WIDE margin.

But you need Disney streaming to get it. Is that worth it?

I looked and there is High School Musical - no interest, 99 seasons of The Simpsons, all the comic book and Star Wars which aren't of interest to me or I already have the pick of the latter. The service also doesn't seem to add new content as frequently as Netflix.

I can see if I had kids it would be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom