What TV Shows Are You Watching?

ter1413

Witness Protection Program
Netflix for me is like Uber. Lyft or others will come along but unless I am not getting what I want out of my primary service - why change?

Agree.

I have been a Netflix user since the DVD days. Apple would need to have some SERIOUS content on there for me to even consider considering it.

The Ernesto

That's reminded me of something a bit odd. When I was at uni, a few of us got together at a classmate's place for a study session before the end of semester. At lunchtime, she asked if we wanted some toast. When I answered yes, she pulled out a (rather deep) kitchen drawer and deposited a couple of slices of bread in it.

To my surprise, when I walked around to the other side of the kitchen bench, I saw that there was a toaster inside the kitchen drawer, complete with a place to plug it in so you didn't have to remove it from the drawer to make toast.
So did she end up setting fire to the house, or was that someone else?

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
I started it a few times. When I say started, I mean 2-3 min. I stopped as I knew that I would need to focus to catch the accents. I will def watch when I have the time.

I heard the same....fantastic series.
Just turn on subtitles.

ter1413

^Haven't watched it yet, but am certainly interested. It sounds like a good story and it will also be good to see Baron-Cohen in a serious role.

Ok. I will finish this tonight.

SBC was very good in it. I won't say that it is refreshing to see him in something serious....because this is the only thing that I ever saw him him. Solid supporting cast. Plausible story.

I just need to finish ep 5 & 6 to see how it ends.

So far.....3.5/5. Could swing to a 3 or 4 after I complete it.

ter1413

Ok...I finally finished Spy. 3.5/5.

Good drama....and I was impressed by SBC....and I know it is based on a true story....but in the end, it didn't captivate me. Still solid.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I never understood Irish Anglicans who called themselves Proddies - we were told in school that we were both catholic and protestant (that whole Vis Media thing).
How is being both Anglican and Catholic possible? That negates why Henry VIII divorced himself from the Catholic Church.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Spy was OK and decent. But not binge-watchable.

New Top Boy series based on the 2011 one. This is good stuff.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
How is being both Anglican and Catholic possible? That negates why Henry VIII divorced himself from the Catholic Church.
Anglicans are catholics - just not of the Roman Catholic variety. They were also on board with aspects of the reformation ( see Hooker’s three legged stool). It’s an idea that goes back to Thomas Cranmer: Via Media - the middle way.

Every Sunday, Anglicans recite the Nicene Creed:

We believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
I’ll tag Jan Libourel for a more theological explanation.

Journeyman

Supporter
How is being both Anglican and Catholic possible?
Anglicans are catholics - just not of the Roman Catholic variety.
It's been a couple of decades since I studied this, but from memory there are a few significant differences between the Anglican and Catholic churches:
- Anglican Church obviously doesn't believe in the infallibility and supremacy of the Pope, and the Anglican Church is much less hierarchical;
- Anglicans (to the best of my memory) don't believe in transubstantiation. So, in other words, they don't believe that the communion wafer and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ at the time of communion, which is different to official Catholic belief; and
- Anglican priests can marry and - naturally enough - there is no vow of celibacy.

"High" Anglicanism is quite similar to Catholicism - the same "balls and smells" in the church services, for example.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
There’s basically three types of Catholicism: Roman, Anglican and Eastern Orthodox - though Romans like to lay claim to being the only ‘real’ Catholics.

Anglicans and Episcopalians have a hierarchy, but are more democratic. The three pillars I mentioned above are faith, tradition and reason. The later, which include science and skepticism, certainly sets it apart from other catholic traditions.

As for the smells and bells, Robin Williams describes it as ‘all the pageantry, none of the guilt’.

Last edited:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I watched the first couple of episodes of The I-Land last night. Good start, decent cast. So far it feels like a cross between Westworld and Lost.

Kingstonian

There’s basically three types of Catholicism: Roman, Anglican and Eastern Orthodox - though Romans like to lay claim to being the only ‘real’ Catholics.

Anglicans and Episcopalians have a hierarchy, but are more democratic. The three pillars I mentioned above are faith, tradition and reason. The later, which include science and skepticism, certainly sets it apart from other catholic traditions.

As for the smells and bells, Robin Williams describes it as ‘all the pageantry, none of the guilt’.
Then you get into The Westminster Confession where The Pope is described as ‘the Antichrist’ and the Mass as ‘idolatry’ and they go on about the role of the Virgin Mary. C of E don’t emphasise that so much these days. It’s more of a Presbyterian thing.

Top Bottom