What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Netflix for me is like Uber. Lyft or others will come along but unless I am not getting what I want out of my primary service - why change?

Agree.

I have been a Netflix user since the DVD days. Apple would need to have some SERIOUS content on there for me to even consider considering it.

That's reminded me of something a bit odd. When I was at uni, a few of us got together at a classmate's place for a study session before the end of semester. At lunchtime, she asked if we wanted some toast. When I answered yes, she pulled out a (rather deep) kitchen drawer and deposited a couple of slices of bread in it.

To my surprise, when I walked around to the other side of the kitchen bench, I saw that there was a toaster inside the kitchen drawer, complete with a place to plug it in so you didn't have to remove it from the drawer to make toast.

So did she end up setting fire to the house, or was that someone else?

So did she end up setting fire to the house, or was that someone else?

No, thankfully not. She did say to us that we could make toast any time we wanted but that we must not, under any circumstances, close the drawer while using the toaster!

I started it a few times. When I say started, I mean 2-3 min. I stopped as I knew that I would need to focus to catch the accents. I will def watch when I have the time.

I heard the same....fantastic series.
Just turn on subtitles.

^Haven't watched it yet, but am certainly interested. It sounds like a good story and it will also be good to see Baron-Cohen in a serious role.

Ok. I will finish this tonight.

SBC was very good in it. I won't say that it is refreshing to see him in something serious....because this is the only thing that I ever saw him him. Solid supporting cast. Plausible story.

I just need to finish ep 5 & 6 to see how it ends.

So far.....3.5/5. Could swing to a 3 or 4 after I complete it.

Ok...I finally finished Spy. 3.5/5.

Good drama....and I was impressed by SBC....and I know it is based on a true story....but in the end, it didn't captivate me. Still solid.

I married a Proddy!

I never understood Irish Anglicans who called themselves Proddies - we were told in school that we were both catholic and protestant (that whole Vis Media thing).

I never understood Irish Anglicans who called themselves Proddies - we were told in school that we were both catholic and protestant (that whole Vis Media thing).

How is being both Anglican and Catholic possible? That negates why Henry VIII divorced himself from the Catholic Church.

Spy was OK and decent. But not binge-watchable.

New Top Boy series based on the 2011 one. This is good stuff.

How is being both Anglican and Catholic possible? That negates why Henry VIII divorced himself from the Catholic Church.

Anglicans are catholics - just not of the Roman Catholic variety. They were also on board with aspects of the reformation ( see Hooker’s three legged stool). It’s an idea that goes back to Thomas Cranmer: Via Media - the middle way.

Every Sunday, Anglicans recite the Nicene Creed:

We believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.

I’ll tag Jan Libourel for a more theological explanation.

How is being both Anglican and Catholic possible?

Anglicans are catholics - just not of the Roman Catholic variety.

It's been a couple of decades since I studied this, but from memory there are a few significant differences between the Anglican and Catholic churches:
- Anglican Church obviously doesn't believe in the infallibility and supremacy of the Pope, and the Anglican Church is much less hierarchical;
- Anglicans (to the best of my memory) don't believe in transubstantiation. So, in other words, they don't believe that the communion wafer and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ at the time of communion, which is different to official Catholic belief; and
- Anglican priests can marry and - naturally enough - there is no vow of celibacy.

"High" Anglicanism is quite similar to Catholicism - the same "balls and smells" in the church services, for example.

There’s basically three types of Catholicism: Roman, Anglican and Eastern Orthodox - though Romans like to lay claim to being the only ‘real’ Catholics.

Anglicans and Episcopalians have a hierarchy, but are more democratic. The three pillars I mentioned above are faith, tradition and reason. The later, which include science and skepticism, certainly sets it apart from other catholic traditions.

As for the smells and bells, Robin Williams describes it as ‘all the pageantry, none of the guilt’.

Last edited:
I watched the first couple of episodes of The I-Land last night. Good start, decent cast. So far it feels like a cross between Westworld and Lost.

There’s basically three types of Catholicism: Roman, Anglican and Eastern Orthodox - though Romans like to lay claim to being the only ‘real’ Catholics.

Anglicans and Episcopalians have a hierarchy, but are more democratic. The three pillars I mentioned above are faith, tradition and reason. The later, which include science and skepticism, certainly sets it apart from other catholic traditions.

As for the smells and bells, Robin Williams describes it as ‘all the pageantry, none of the guilt’.
Then you get into The Westminster Confession where The Pope is described as ‘the Antichrist’ and the Mass as ‘idolatry’ and they go on about the role of the Virgin Mary. C of E don’t emphasise that so much these days. It’s more of a Presbyterian thing.

snowfall just finished an excellent season 3. if you're watching from the beginning, take note that season 1 is pretty slow. also, if you're not from the US or US adjacent, the significance of some of the scenery might be lost. its still great watching though.

1568987100244.jpeg

I started this the other day. Solid. 2 more eps to go.

Based on the true story of a rapist and the 2 cops(and team) who pursue him.

The "mystery" is no longer one after ep 2. Not a spoiler as the main characters have an idea who they are profiling...just not WHO the person is.

So far...solid 3.5/5...potential for 4.

criminal-uk-netflix-review.jpg

I saw this pop up on my Netflix screen today. Anyone catch it? 3 eps. I may start this after Unbelievable.

Undone: 8.5/10 refreshingly different

Just started Glitch S3: same as past two seasons, enjoyable and forgettable

Has anyone been watching the TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"?

I enjoyed the book but know that it's a bit controversial and not regarded as one of Gaiman's best. It's a bit meandering at times. I'm curious as to how the TV series compares and whether it's worth watching.

Has anyone been watching the TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"?

I enjoyed the book but know that it's a bit controversial and not regarded as one of Gaiman's best. It's a bit meandering at times. I'm curious as to how the TV series compares and whether it's worth watching.
beautiful to look at. story is meandering as well in the show.

‘Dublin Murders’ first two episodes. Not bad, though a bit too sweary for some Daily Mail readers.

Poor old Mary Whitehouse would be spinning in her grave if she saw some of the stuff they allow on the box these days.

I started watching Modern Love on Amazon Prime. Cristin Milioti is hot.

How is it?

Every episode has a different romance story. The first one was cute. Second one with Dev Patel and an aged Andy Garcia was love found love lost type of story. Third one with Anne Hathaway was about her being bipolar so alternating from La La Land to an "ugly" Anne Hathaway. I would say it's like watching a romantic comedy. Story lines are predictable but there's something addictive to it for someone who has a liberal arts background. I was surprised they were able to round up so many actors and actresses to participate.

We Are the Wave is actually pretty good for a teen drama. Slick German production with shit English dubbing.

Watching Million Pound Menu. I particularly detest how the investors representing commercial brands like Nandos try to get the aspiring chefs to be consistent - ergo, you have to make it so some minimum wage cooks can reproduce the same in multiple restaurants, or you're serving too big of a portion or choosing too high of a quality ingredients to make a profit. It really kills whatever soul is in these entrepreneurs.

Then again the one Indian woman from London who cooks at a food stall trying to run a restaurant was funny. She had all the orders in one stack and was cooking table by table rather than cooking the same dish across all the orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom