Why Are You Pissed Off Today?

Last week when I was Vienna, my CEO didn't quite understand in a European canteen you have to get your own tray and cutlery, I got his cutlery for him. Yesterday when we were in a hotel conference room he was at the head round table by himself because he was doing all the speaking. When lunch break happened, I grabbed a chair from his table and put it in front of one that had people for him. Similarly when my boss arrived jet lagged from the plane, I made sure he got back to the hotel with Uber.

Maybe it's my sense of hierarchy but it's just something I do.

Now on to my own department. I had an issue today and I thought my folks would resolve it on their own. Suffice to say when people from other offices checked on us and no one replied, I waited a bit to see if they were expecting me to. Soon I'm getting calls from Thailand asking what's going on. Finally I walked out to the one chap still at his desk at 1800. I asked why he hasn't replied and he said as he checked his computer that he had apparently drafted a reply but it was hidden behind a few windows and he forgot to send it. I had to stand in front of someone two levels below me to get him to send a bloody e-mail.

Now on to my own department. I had an issue today and I thought my folks would resolve it on their own. Suffice to say when people from other offices checked on us and no one replied, I waited a bit to see if they were expecting me to. Soon I'm getting calls from Thailand asking what's going on. Finally I walked out to the one chap still at his desk at 1800. I asked why he hasn't replied and he said as he checked his computer that he had apparently drafted a reply but it was hidden behind a few windows and he forgot to send it. I had to stand in front of someone two levels below me to get him to send a bloody e-mail.

Frightful.

One death and a death foretold this week. The one who's got the terminal illness broke down crying in front of the missus today, he is a godparent of one of the kids. A couple of years back someone said he would burn out, not through drink or drugs, but just the intensity of his interest in life and getting involved. He was singing at some concert last week too. He was closing in on retirement, just inherited his mother's estate which left him loaded and with a decent penthouse and now he has a couple of years max to enjoy it and no golden years for him. Sad.

The other one was one of the ladies who was going to set me up on a sexual harassment ticket, she had pancreas cancer and died the other week. Can't say I will miss her, but I feigned a look of concern, horror, how very sad, but really couldn't give that much of damn. I'm old enough to have little compassion if any for my enemies. My time on the road ahead is shorter than I would like and I have no time to tolerate empathy with those who would kick me in the balls.

The other one was one of the ladies who was going to set me up on a sexual harassment ticket, she had pancreas cancer and died the other week. Can't say I will miss her, but I feigned a look of concern, horror, how very sad, but really couldn't give that much of damn. I'm old enough to have little compassion if any for my enemies. My time on the road ahead is shorter than I would like and I have no time to tolerate empathy with those who would kick me in the balls.

I thought I had #metoo issues. What did you do or didn't do?

I'm sitting on the runway waiting to take off at the most pony airport in the world.

I thought I had #metoo issues. What did you do or didn't do?

The first thing was to avoid being alone or near them without several witnesses. I even left the office to avoid this situation.

The next was a waiting game, as it was just a case of waiting for them to mess up individually. The first one following a fatal accident issued a report to a client before it was properly reviewed or compiled by the witness. That was enough to get rid. The other threw a wobbler and went to work for a client later. I actually think there was a third conspirator, one of the other directors who saw me, quite rightly as a threat and had promised the first lady my position (as if). He go cancer soon after and is no more.

My mother has eight siblings and the one closest in age to her lives in another province. They have a kid, my younger cousin, who is getting married. They wanted to have a wedding dinner here in my hometown for us relatives, and then jet off to their destination wedding in the Caribbean. None of us are invited to the Caribbean. My relatives start showing up to the dinner at 1800. An hour into it one of my second cousins gets a message on her mobile that the wedding party - bride and groom - aren't landing till 2300. Their flight was cancelled. No one there knows whether to start the dinner. No one knows who is footing the bill. The restaurant staff are moaning that people can't just stand around a booked event and delay indefinitely. It turns out the wankers are on an 8am flight the next morning so waiting for them was a moot point because they have to get to the airport at 6 for their flight out. The cynic in me is pissed this is clearly a "fundraising" wedding dinner. At least arrive the day before to make it look like you're not just stepping out of the airport to rape us for money.

How is is it a fund-raising dinner?

Because it's customary to make a monetary donation when you get invited to a catered and paid event.

I would have handed over $1000 which is par for a first cousin for me.

January - I had to move and clean up my old flat and my new one because the previous tenants were filthy.
February - I had to pack up everything for pipe renovations.
March - I had to pack up everything because my landlord took two weeks to paint after the renovations.
April - Furniture deliveries
May - Refrigerator breaks

Because it's customary to make a monetary donation when you get invited to a catered and paid event.

I would have handed over $1000 which is par for a first cousin for me.
Never heard of it. Is it some quaint Canadian Custom.

I swear I have to escalate and hand hold and push everything my department is doing...every tiny thing.

Such is the burden of command. It's lonely and that's why those in the past use to get ulcers.

Today I got into a shouting match with one of my directs because he felt threatened my message was shut this bloody infernal down or else...

He said it was disrespectful. Are you kidding me? I asked you to do it last night, you argued back, conceded to do it in the morning and 930 when I left for a meeting it was still going since I came in at 730.

I keep some of my Airbnb toiletries at the office and I just realized I haven’t done this commute for so long that I am missing some hair stuff.

Not so much pissed off, as sad.

On Friday, I discovered that one of my friends died on Wednesday night, as he somehow fell from his fifth-floor balcony. He lived in an older apartment and the balcony railings were a bit lower than is the usual standard nowadays, and he was fairly tall, too, and so had a higher centre of gravity.

I don't know how it actually happened, but he's left behind a wife and two kids who are still in high school. Shockingly sudden and, of course, entirely avoidable which makes it even worse.

Wow, that’s awful. What a sad way to go. I know it may sound trite, but I am sorry for your loss and his family’s.

Rail disruptions the day after Labour Day. My train was terminated. Then the whole line shuts down so I am in an Uber that is going east where I came from to get on a highway to go west. I could have left my flat a half hour later and went on the airport train and it would cost the same amount of money and time.

I had to the same presentation 3x today to 3 different audiences. I was at the tail end of the joint presentation.

1st try - I completely flubbed in the middle. 2nd try - the host told me I needed to introduce myself (why? I was at the last town hall) and I started but then went back to introduce myself and completely disrupted my opening. I still finished strong.
3rd try - I nailed it.

The video recording will be the second one because all my presenter peers were tired and fumbling at the end.

I'm pissed I choked. I'm more pissed most of my peers didn't do any preparation at all and enjoyed their long weekend and choked but coasted on. I did all that preparation and what did I get for it? 1 of 3.

Local news ran a story on vaccinations at the start of the school year and interviewed a colleague. I made the mistake of reading the comments. I live in a city full of dangerous fuckwits.

Care to elaborate?

Just the usual sabotaging the weekend and equilibrium by being a moaning tight wad. Someone who has 3 holidays a year, plus numerous weekends away at Centreparcs, Efteling and Disneyland Paris, the oh how are we going to pay your dental treatment and woe is me routine wears a little thin. And that's how these women spoil it for themselves. A few weeks ago she came home from one the eldest friends and said the house was ''Very, very average.....Just like us.'' The father's a top commander in one of the armed forces here. You know they're spoilt when they deem being comfortably middle class and in the top 5% as ''Just average.''

Just the usual sabotaging the weekend and equilibrium by being a moaning tight wad. Someone who has 3 holidays a year, plus numerous weekends away at Centreparcs, Efteling and Disneyland Paris, the oh how are we going to pay your dental treatment and woe is me routine wears a little thin. And that's how these women spoil it for themselves. A few weeks ago she came home from one the eldest friends and said the house was ''Very, very average.....Just like us.'' The father's a top commander in one of the armed forces here. You know they're spoilt when they deem being comfortably middle class and in the top 5% as ''Just average.''

I once had a lady friend who said I need to make X + 1 because I made X. Then when I made X + 1, she said it needed to be X + 2. Years later now I bumped into her again and she said you make X + 4?! That's good - but it really should be X + 5.

Another lady friend I hadn't messaged since the Raptors championship parade just replied "Who's this?" ..... I have been around for 4 of your boyfriends, 2 jobs and 1 divorce!

Opera tickets to publicly subsidised body not available.

Never had this happen before.

That doesn't seem to be in keeping with the mission for opera accessible to the general public.

When my missus goes to the Odessa opera house when she's visiting family, they pay something ridiculous like the equivalent of Euros 7.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom