Adventures in Bespoke Tailoring

View attachment 29304 View attachment 29305 On holiday in Italy for a week. I walked by this tailors shop. He speaks no English, I speak no Italian. Some google translate, me typing, he doesn’t understand cell phones, pointing and grunting like cavemen, we figured out he could finish a suit by the time I left. I might end up with patch pockets on one side and flap on the other. One peak lapel and one notch. 5 roll 4 buttoning maybe. I could only go with fabric he had there. Blue flannel was safe. We took the pants out 3 cm, maybe more. I’ll see what happens Friday. Goedkoper dan Nederland mtm.
This is my favorite post in the history of this forum

If you asked a high rise (I suppose you asked nothing), a neapolitan tailor would object you've grown up since the last fitting.
Ha. It’s not from Napoli. I’m far northeast. North of Venice, by the Dolomites. I didn’t take him as an asshole. He wanted me to be happy with the suit. We had a lot of trouble communicating. I did ask for high rise but he must have misunderstood. I did take for granted the lapels would be wider. Everything else was what I asked for. Even if you don’t like it, those were my pick. I think the next one we could get much better. If not, for sure by the 10 th or 11 th one.

B3F444B2-3425-4785-A7B4-FC41CCC88F95.png

Got the blazer back in time to make my flight. That’s the end of my adventures in bespoke tailoring.

5422BC77-E39E-4D1F-A0E3-4D4E27872566.jpeg
End
For now
Or
Forever?

For now, we all hope. Can't wait for future installments

The Rule of Foo is 11
I will have to have 10 more made before I get one that fits, right? This is the first time I have been to Italy and been able to do tourist stuff. Usually it’s so fn hot I can’t move and trying on jackets is the last thing on my mind. I go straight to Marina de Pisa and don’t leave the beach until it’s time for my flight back.
The younger tailor who made the blazer, had a dry, non shiny gray/blue Tonik that would be great for summer. Summer in Holland, he called it a 3 season, I laughed. I need to wear the blazer for awhile to see if I want to be married to his style as a suit. It is a little shorter than I’m used to. Just need to see if I like it. By fall I should have time to get back and get a houndstooth flannel somewhere. I liked the off season where it’s still cool enough for important things like clothes and football.

7D621915-87AA-4CAE-AED1-1001956746A0.jpeg
8FCF7598-B4D2-4BEC-A5AD-4F54ED24AEB8.jpeg

plus had a prova for a blue suit to which he somehow managed to add a ticket pocket

7FB0FD8A-A51E-46B6-ABD9-AE5998E42A1E.jpeg

ordered two cotton suits. khahi and navy. and a few linen/cotton shirts from thomas mason book i believe

any fabric in particular?

Don't know. I used to believe Carnet was a midrange quality seller, mainly sport by turkish and greek and maltese diplomats and all those countries located between the developed and the third worlds. Which mills do provide them?

Last edited:
Don't know. I used to believe Carnet was a midrange quality seller, mainly sport by turkish and greek and maltese diplomats and all those countries located between the developed and the third worlds. Which mills do provide them?

Carnet as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but low quality. A canny buy. And I know china men who sport Carnet before other ranges. It says you can be bought. So away with your pretence and BS.

(Bad) combo. Giacca estivale con taschettina because I'm a super tacky.

The trip ends today and it's a good thing because I'm stuffed with noises, sun, food, sartorial meetings and Italian.

I know
Its hard work
That is why rubinacci is charging the prices they charge!!!!!!!!1

Summer jacket from Granata in wool-silk-linen blend. Job done in one week. Napoli direct.

sketch-1528372948642.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom