Ask A Quick Question

You are right, it is fully bad. DB pinstripe jacket, jeans, western belt. A clusterfuck of mixed sartorial media. Only thing that could be worse it it a was black giacca with black denim like Sarto loved. Bags under the armpits and burning the fussing smells like riot tire on Napoli.

durito.png
durito.png

I have a pair of new sanforized jeans that I’d like to stretch the hem opening area by a quarter to half inch, if possible. But how?

I was just thinking there must be a way to wet them and stretch them a bit. Just can’t think of what I could use to do the stretching.

^ Get a couple of small, rectangular pieces of wood that are cut to fit the width that you want and place them inside the bottoms of the legs to stretch them out - perhaps place them from seam-to-seam so that it doesn't mark the fabric?

I was just thinking there must be a way to wet them and stretch them a bit. Just can’t think of what I could use to do the stretching.
A couple of wood clamps reversed. Or slip the legs over a couple of pipes and use wood clamp on inside of each leg. If you could see me waving my hands around you’d understand.

I've been looking at a navy blazer (which I currently lack) with brown buttons that fits me rather well, but for the moment I only own black shoes.

Would the brown buttons with black shoes be a serious sartorial faux pas? Should I change the buttons? If so, is that something a tailor can do easily and inexpensively?

Edit: As an update, I did take it to a tailor. Changing buttons is apparently quite simple and inexpensive, thankfully.

Last edited:
Since there isn’t much traffic in the leather jacket section I think I’ll drop this one here:

so you think it would be too fussy/busy to have a vertical chest pocket on one side and a throat latch on the opposite side? I like both design features, but I’m wary of adding them both to a jacket.

Pocket:

66115ADA-CE8B-4998-9961-13EB8579FB2B.jpeg

Throat latch:
41D79E70-3826-407B-8BCF-A577F58A4743.jpeg

0F0D6049-A82B-46E3-89AB-44075C3FA9D9.jpeg

I don't mind the vertical pocket, but I don't overly like it, either.

However, those throat latches look like they're just flapping around and I don't think that they look good. Is there a button on the same side of the collar as the throat latch, so you can button it back out of the way when it's not in use? I've got a few jackets (none of them leather, though) that are like that.

Thanks all. I’m going to stick with the vertical pocket. I decided that both would be too much and a weird mix of classic and modern styling.

I do dig throat latches on tweedy hacking jackets, so I may end up getting that Luftwaffe model leather jacket above some day.

Bad move. A vertical pocket, presumably for a cellphone, will already make it a weird mix of classic and modern. Just like the throat latch I’d be asking myself what purpose does it serve? Surely there’s an inside pocket which you can have made with a flap for added security and keep your phone in there?
The beauty of that jacket worn by the oriental with the face mask (apart from the collar which we will write off to newness and hope it will lie down properly soon) is in its otherwise simplistic classic utility. The vertical zip sticks out like a sore thumb. Like an afterthought. It conflicts with the angled lower pockets. Just dreadful.
Still it’s your money.

Whilst I'm not a leather jacket fan, I've had some bad experiences with leather jacket wearers over the years, I see no issues with the placement of any of those pockets.

My Field Leather jacket is running behind schedule by a few weeks, so Greg offered me a free upgrade to a Lochcorron tartan lining. I was going to go with a cotton drill, which seems more practical, but it’s hard to turn down a free upgrade- so now I’m looking at some tweeds.

Jacket leather and some Lochcorron tweeds:

EE4D0292-125A-48F0-9371-F8502D7ABF3F.jpeg
2E530F88-8E79-4CAB-A3E8-47ED6E4365F2.jpeg
81A9E9D7-6E74-4DC9-B915-8167E476BB18.jpeg
0EB4B1E9-EBB6-439C-8D31-9325D44A2A55.jpeg
D425BB0D-FAEC-4590-BB60-4EC00FDFAF00.jpeg

Do we have a thread on cheap clothes? Frugal essentials? Etc.?

how about athletic wear? Gym clothes, golf clothes, etc?

if we don’t would anyone be interested in that? This came up because I’ve lost a lot of weight recently and had to drop some sizing. Don’t want to blow my load on a bunch of nice shit when I’m still figuring out my sizing.

Registered Registered

if we don’t would anyone be interested in that? This came up because I’ve lost a lot of weight recently and had to drop some sizing. Don’t want to blow my load on a bunch of nice shit when I’m still figuring out my sizing.

Registered Registered

Mate what about tattoos?

You want camorristis to join the forum in AdidHASH gym clothes? steroids?

golden rings? knifes? full auto rifles?

You got not enough kinkis with the new Madrid registered one already and need more?

Registered Registered

I’m all about cheap, but fuck golf clothes.

It actually looks like it could be a lot of fun, but every golfer I’ve ever met has been an insufferable twat.
Golf and ski bores, they use to be of the same type. Indeed, insufferable twats.
that's because its a racist, eliteist, boring sport played by white men.
In my industry, golf use to be a career move. If you had a handicap you could be elevated beyond your abilities and be out a couple of afternoons a week playing with clients. Back in the 80s and 90s, my lack of golf prowess, would likely be a showstopper for me, I certainly wouldn't be in my position now. Thankfully, the age of golf days and doing shady business on the 19th hole is over.

There was a whole rigmarole in joining a golf club: pay to get on the waiting list, then when you joined you could only play weekdays for a couple years and then you could join proper and play the weekends.

In the late 1990s there was a club by me, who refused entry to a lady who's car had broken down outside and wouldn't let her make a call from the club as it was all male. It made the national newspapers.

Lots of clubs are closing now in the UK or in decline, my hometown municipal golf course is dilapidated and the courses overgrown.

My brother tells me that now that men play a more active role in siring the kids, there's no time for 18 hole golf courses at the weekend.

Isn't that because you guys hate the Scottish?
We do not hate the Scottish.

You have to experience the Central Belt living and working there, not just the Edinburgh Fringe, to get a grip with the bigotry and sectarianism that resembles Northern Ireland. It was certainly an eye opener to me, as I thought I had an affinity with Scotland based on the music of Big Country, Highlander the film and a holiday in the Highlands in 1984.

Most people there are great and very easy to get on with, but there's a large minority that are weirdo freaks. I found it easy to make friends, but also enemies. But that's no different to the people who live there. My difficulty was with an infamous union man, SNP, who hated the English at the level of race.

As it turns out, the missing link in my family tree, which I considered may be eastern Europe of Jewish extraction, is from the slums of Glasgow back in the 19th century.

The situation in Scotland now is toxic and can only get worse under the one party state of the SNP. They are yobbish and uncouth, particularly in Westminster. The worse advertisement for a modern state imaginable.

As an example of the absurdity of Scottish politics, Alba, Alex Salmond's alternative to the SNP is running their political campaign on grievances held from back in 1340.

Time for the English to withdraw the tit of dole money to the Scots. The EU can't afford them, but China may consider them an asset. Now there's the rub.

independence 2022!
That'll be the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom