Ask A Quick Question

Journeyman

Supporter
Not possible without an ugly seam
+1 to this. There would be virtually no "inlay" (ie additional fabric folded inside the lapels) so there's nothing to let out to make the lapels wider.

Therefore, the only way to widen the lapels would be to add an additional strip of fabric around the outside of the lapels. From memory, this was the fashion for a while in the 18th century, so you could always go for a somewhat steampunk/retro vibe!

Alternatively, I suppose that you could always try steaming or ironing the lapels to change the shape and make them wider, but really the only way to make that work would be to lower the buttoning point and so the jacket's balance would be off and it would look odd.

In other words, I can't see it working.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Thoughts on this button stance? I had a tweed jacket with paddock buttons, but this looks rather city.
84DDF0B6-517F-4C76-B950-EAC8B2B5033A.jpeg

Journeyman

Supporter
^ That looks pretty high by today's standards.

Then again, of course, a higher buttoning point may be back in vogue in a few years' time, so if you get it you might end up being ahead of the pack!

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Thanks. I’m really digging the pic, for some reason. It’s a nicely structured antidote to whole the Neopolitan style everywhere. The gorge is high enough not to look dated yet it has a vintage button stance.

Early 90s, maybe? Tag says Burberry, though I don’t think they were subcontracting out to Hickey-Freeman back then.

Last edited:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
+1 to this. There would be virtually no "inlay" (ie additional fabric folded inside the lapels) so there's nothing to let out to make the lapels wider.

Therefore, the only way to widen the lapels would be to add an additional strip of fabric around the outside of the lapels. From memory, this was the fashion for a while in the 18th century, so you could always go for a somewhat steampunk/retro vibe!

Alternatively, I suppose that you could always try steaming or ironing the lapels to change the shape and make them wider, but really the only way to make that work would be to lower the buttoning point and so the jacket's balance would be off and it would look odd.

In other words, I can't see it working.
Then you’ve got the collar to think about.

still I’m not a tailor just another bloke on the internet

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Denim jacket for casual wear on a bloke pushing 50?

I’m cleaning out a few of my old Harrington’s and thought I might add a cheap Levi’s black and/or a white denim jacket for springbweekwnds and traveling.

Rambo

Fucked Walker In The Face
Supporter

I’m cleaning out a few of my old Harrington’s and thought I might add a cheap Levi’s black and/or a white denim jacket for springbweekwnds and traveling.
sure but no white denim. there are plenty of interesting styles of denim without having to look like you're reliving a Saved By The Bell episode.

Untermensch

Ralph Lauren is about two hundred years old and he still wears head-to-toe denim. Go for it, and may your God be with you.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
sure but no white denim. there are plenty of interesting styles of denim without having to look like you're reliving a Saved By The Bell episode.
Chuffed with my new black denim jacket, I’m still thinking about a light colored one:

6837E775-D9B9-485F-A282-0FFB88EEAED8.jpeg
6C8E1E1B-273A-44AC-A1F4-7DEAEAF6E164.jpeg

Top Bottom