Ask A Quick Question

Not possible without an ugly seam

+1 to this. There would be virtually no "inlay" (ie additional fabric folded inside the lapels) so there's nothing to let out to make the lapels wider.

Therefore, the only way to widen the lapels would be to add an additional strip of fabric around the outside of the lapels. From memory, this was the fashion for a while in the 18th century, so you could always go for a somewhat steampunk/retro vibe!

Alternatively, I suppose that you could always try steaming or ironing the lapels to change the shape and make them wider, but really the only way to make that work would be to lower the buttoning point and so the jacket's balance would be off and it would look odd.

In other words, I can't see it working.

Thoughts on this button stance? I had a tweed jacket with paddock buttons, but this looks rather city.
84DDF0B6-517F-4C76-B950-EAC8B2B5033A.jpeg

^ That looks pretty high by today's standards.

Then again, of course, a higher buttoning point may be back in vogue in a few years' time, so if you get it you might end up being ahead of the pack!

Thanks. I’m really digging the pic, for some reason. It’s a nicely structured antidote to whole the Neopolitan style everywhere. The gorge is high enough not to look dated yet it has a vintage button stance.

Early 90s, maybe? Tag says Burberry, though I don’t think they were subcontracting out to Hickey-Freeman back then.

Last edited:
+1 to this. There would be virtually no "inlay" (ie additional fabric folded inside the lapels) so there's nothing to let out to make the lapels wider.

Therefore, the only way to widen the lapels would be to add an additional strip of fabric around the outside of the lapels. From memory, this was the fashion for a while in the 18th century, so you could always go for a somewhat steampunk/retro vibe!

Alternatively, I suppose that you could always try steaming or ironing the lapels to change the shape and make them wider, but really the only way to make that work would be to lower the buttoning point and so the jacket's balance would be off and it would look odd.

In other words, I can't see it working.
Then you’ve got the collar to think about.

still I’m not a tailor just another bloke on the internet

Denim jacket for casual wear on a bloke pushing 50?

I’m cleaning out a few of my old Harrington’s and thought I might add a cheap Levi’s black and/or a white denim jacket for springbweekwnds and traveling.

I’m cleaning out a few of my old Harrington’s and thought I might add a cheap Levi’s black and/or a white denim jacket for springbweekwnds and traveling.
sure but no white denim. there are plenty of interesting styles of denim without having to look like you're reliving a Saved By The Bell episode.

Ralph Lauren is about two hundred years old and he still wears head-to-toe denim. Go for it, and may your God be with you.

sure but no white denim. there are plenty of interesting styles of denim without having to look like you're reliving a Saved By The Bell episode.

Chuffed with my new black denim jacket, I’m still thinking about a light colored one:

6837E775-D9B9-485F-A282-0FFB88EEAED8.jpeg
6C8E1E1B-273A-44AC-A1F4-7DEAEAF6E164.jpeg

1838FBE3-5521-437D-8885-D27CEA435B90.jpeg

Edit: I found a lightly used model as above, in my size, selling for $500. I’m thinking about it.

Seller’s pic:
F5D7F2D4-5897-4073-9992-F8FD211F9F93.jpeg

Last edited:
Plain white t-shirt recommendations? Heavyweight fabric, slim body and tight short sleeves - without looking like an undershirt.

I’ve looked at everything from 3sixteen and Leftfield to Jockey, but nothing seems to hit that sweet spot.

As an aside, I found a great line of heavy, heathered fitted tshirts by a brand called CC Perfect. Color choices are very limited though.

So for our brethren who are more familiar with Brooks, how is their casual trouser sizing? I'm a narrow hip, skinny leg cyclist, but I'm not looking for the whole skin tight nonsense. Is the slim fit super slim?

My only recent experience with Brooks is popping in the DC store for braces two trips in a fucking row because I forgot to bring mine.

Journeyman Journeyman Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith or anyone else that deals with Brooks?

I tried some BB slim fit chinos a few years ago, but the waist was far lower than on their other fits.

So for our brethren who are more familiar with Brooks, how is their casual trouser sizing? I'm a narrow hip, skinny leg cyclist, but I'm not looking for the whole skin tight nonsense. Is the slim fit super slim?

My only recent experience with Brooks is popping in the DC store for braces two trips in a fucking row because I forgot to bring mine.

Journeyman Journeyman Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith or anyone else that deals with Brooks?
You looking for classy or comfortable? Got two alternatives if youre looking for comfort:

banana republic - rapid movement chinos. Very very comfortable especially if youve got a little bulk in the legs.

Lululemon ABC or Commission pants - Ive gotten a few good personal reviews on these but the online reviews seem a bit al over the place. The guys i know that own them RAVE about them and say they wear nothing else to the office when not wearing suits.

Very very comfortable especially if youve got a little bulk in the legs.

I'm opposite, got skinny ass legs. So getting something that doesn't bag out down low while still not being nut hugging is a challenge.

I'm opposite, got skinny ass legs. So getting something that doesn't bag out down low while still not being nut hugging is a challenge.
look into those options i gave you. one of the guys is built like a toothpick and he only wears the banana and lulu chinos. i know someone who wears jcrew but i dont know if id bother recommending them with the bankruptcy proceedings going on.

You're definitely going to be catered for. But with the delta of fittings now, you're going to have to try out.

I haven't bought any BB trousers in years, so my info might be out of date.

The Milano cut used to be their slimmest cut, but I don't know if it still is. I have a few pairs of a cotton chino pants and a pair of patch madras trousers in the Milano cut. The rise is a bit lower, but not too bad.

Unfortunately, the patch madras trousers seem to have shrunk in the wash (even though I always line dry) as I cannot fit into them anymore but can still wear the other Milano chino pants, which is disappointing.

I picked up a few pairs of Uniqlo's "vintage" chinos a couple of years ago and like them. Not too baggy, not too slim, hard-wearing fabric, reasonable rise (similar to Milano, I think).

Regent fit, don't size up.

I just bought a pair of BB regent fit white linen for summer. Had 20 dollar credit that was going to expire.

I haven't bought any BB trousers in years, so my info might be out of date.

The Milano cut used to be their slimmest cut, but I don't know if it still is. I have a few pairs of a cotton chino pants and a pair of patch madras trousers in the Milano cut. The rise is a bit lower, but not too bad.

Unfortunately, the patch madras trousers seem to have shrunk in the wash (even though I always line dry) as I cannot fit into them anymore but can still wear the other Milano chino pants, which is disappointing.

I picked up a few pairs of Uniqlo's "vintage" chinos a couple of years ago and like them. Not too baggy, not too slim, hard-wearing fabric, reasonable rise (similar to Milano, I think).

Milano is the second slimmest now, they have something called slim fit that is the narrowest.

I took a flyer on 3 Milano cuts, two khakis and a seersucker. Will see what happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Milano has lower rise that I preferred from BB, I do have 3 pairs of Milanos that I bought from SF back in the day when the cut was first introduced.

BB quality especially when ordering online has always been a hit and miss for me. The sizing inconsistencies and fabric qualities are not the best, but when on sale, worth the shot.

How much better is reactive dying compared to sulfur? I’m looking at two black shirts with a price difference of 500%. I know some of that is in the name, the materials and country of manufacture - but a big part of their justification is that it is reactive dyed so will stay crisp and black for longer.

Unless you’re a waiter or a goth or a member of U2 give the black shirt a swerve. Can’t remember the last time I saw one that looked good.

OK if you’re going for that forty years ago chic!

Gary Numan was considered the weirdo weirdo's at that time. Once or twice I spotted a Gary Numan clone. I can remember one or two punks too. The last mohican punk and his girlfriend gave up the look in about '86/87 in my town. They had a baby and things changed.

If you go back to '79/80/81 sporting a black shirt was subversive. Not in a Nazi black shirt way, the bovver-boy skinheads had a monopoly on that neo-Nazi Combat 18 thing.

The crap thing about today is, the lack of distinctive subcultures. It's all one drone of China made street styles. Where is the dynamic? Where is the style? Where is the distinctiveness?

How much better is reactive dying compared to sulfur? I’m looking at two black shirts with a price difference of 500%. I know some of that is in the name, the materials and country of manufacture - but a big part of their justification is that it is reactive dyed so will stay crisp and black for longer.
Black is advised against because it’s so hard to get a decent black without, say, a green caste. Plus every idiot fucker want to wear a black shirt. The only black shirt that ever works is linen.

Black linen sounds odd - if it hot enough for linen why would you want it in black?

It’s an unpopular opinion I know, but it’s a hill I will die on: black looks good as a casual shirt with blue jeans. Preferably a black denim or a rugged black twill. Oxford rarely works and never anything remotely dressy, with any stretch or sheen. Also depends on wearer’s complexion, of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom