Brazil is a Sewer

Look at this whale attack his girlfriend.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Do tell. We have nothing but time.

Went over a friend's house, all HS friends were there. I stayed up late and forgot to carry my Glock that day, Over there I never ever leave it, but this day was the exeption. Anyways, I leave my friend's place around 3 am, moment I leave I see an old tahoe turning their lights on outside the complex, I make nothing out of this, there was a kebab place close to it. 10 minutes later I'm the downtown area of the city and then I see the same tahoe behind me and I see the passenger and guys on the rear seat get out of the car and start moving towards my car, I accelerate and the guy get in, they tried to catch up with me, but couldn't because from there to our house there is a nice stretch of road of curves and straights parts where I can keep going faster. When I noticed my speed I was doing 140 MPH, I almost run over a guy because a part of the road was dark and I just couldn't take my eyes off the rear view mirror. I get home and I can barely walk because my legs can't stop shaking, couldn't sleep and couldn't drive for a couple of days.

Wow, crazy story. Why do you think they were so aggressive? Wouldn't most criminals just quit after a short while?

family_guy_barfing.gif

brazil just voted to impeach roussef. all in the name of installing temer, who is as unpopular and also embroiled in the same corruption scandal.

The two parachutists who died trying to do some aerial Olympics ring this past weekend seemed to be a bad omen. My father says that bay for water sports is still a few million times above normal in bacteria.

Of course, I don't know if this is the usual pre Olympic pessimism I keep hearing (Sochi, Athens, Beijing, London, Torino, etc) or Rio is really going to be a complete shambles.

Reckon your highest chance of getting Zika is playing golf though.

This goes beyond the Olympics, the whole country is imploding.
no shit. i haven't even been posting the repeated news stories because they're coming out every single fucking day. the police strike is interesting though. want to keep an eye on that one.

Brazil is a try hard country. They never had the capacity to do all of this shit, 85% f the population are dirt poor and the top doghouse doghouse own the 95% of the wealth. America is heading that way. We are becoming a banana republic, just look at clinton. The day she goes to campaign with obama the fbi says that she did everything that she wasnt supposed to do, yet they recommebd a criminal trial.

Brazil is a try hard country. They never had the capacity to do all of this shit, 85% f the population are dirt poor and the top doghouse doghouse own the 95% of the wealth. America is heading that way. We are becoming a banana republic, just look at clinton. The day she goes to campaign with obama the fbi says that she did everything that she wasnt supposed to do, yet they recommebd a criminal trial.

Apparently someone sent out a subliminal message to all the internet to use the words "banana republic" today.

You people would shit if you knew how many terrible things our old presidents did. The Clintons are the slimiest politicians of the last 20 years, but people like FDR make them look like choirboys.

Apparently someone sent out a subliminal message to all the internet to use the words "banana republic" today.

You people would shit if you knew how many terrible things our old presidents did. The Clintons are the slimiest politicians of the last 20 years, but people like FDR make them look like choirboys.
Its different times, people back then did not have access to information like we have today. Two different things, doesnt take all the wrong shit he did away, but t was harder to find information back then.

Its different times, people back then did not have access to information like we have today. Two different things, doesnt take all the wrong shit he did away, but t was harder to find information back then.

None of which indicates we are going towards being a Banana Republic, but as I state, quite the opposite.

None of which indicates we are going towards being a Banana Republic, but as I state, quite the opposite.
I was talking about how evil fdr was, not about banana republic. Its hard for some to see where the nation is heading when they are at the top of the food chain.

I was talking about how evil fdr was, not about banana republic. Its hard for some to see where the nation is heading when they are at the top of the food chain.

That's the point. The rule of law is going in an upward trajectory, not downward. FDR is just one example, and no one says he was evil, but that he disregarded the law with impunity. The rich and powerful got away with much more in the past and are getting away with less every day. Your lack of accessibility of this knowledge doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Maybe you should investigate what Banana Republic means versus regurgitating the internet talking point du jour.

That's the point. The rule of law is going in an upward trajectory, not downward. FDR is just one example, and no one says he was evil, but that he disregarded the law with impunity. The rich and powerful got away with much more in the past and are getting away with less every day. Your lack of accessibility of this knowledge doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Maybe you should investigate what Banana Republic means versus regurgitating the internet talking point du jour.

When i say banana republic i talk from my experience in different SA countries where the rule of law is only applied to a certain few, this has happened even in our family because of our heritage we more than once were dismissed from serious bullshit because a family member was a president, amogst other stuff. Law should be applied to anyone regardless of who they are.

All the Reasons the Rio Olympics Are Fucked

Ashley Feinberg

Today 9:55am
Filed to: WELCOME! WE DON'T HAVE HOSPITALS

ib9do7yelnhu8czzwio2.png

Photo illustration: Jim Cooke, Photo: Getty

Many words have been used to describe the upcoming Games of the XXXI Olympiad—words such as “hell,” “nightmare,” and “state of public calamity,” to name a few. But is Rio really going to be all that bad?

To put it simply: Oh my god yes.

But why are this year’s Summer Olympics so fucked? And will you die if you attend? For myriad reasons, and probably. Let’s get into it.

The dead mascot

Juma the Jaguar, was this year’s Olympic mascot and the heart and spirit of the very games themselves, until she was brutally murdered Harambe-style just a few weeks ago. On that fateful day, Juma had made an appearance at an Olympic torch ceremony, looking bored with her life of captivity as a marketing gimmick.

Later, Juma escaped her enclosure at the zoo, seeking freedom, as all god’s creatures are wont to do. When the military attempted to recapture her, she “moved toward a soldier” only to be shot. RIP Juma, because Juma is now dead, much like...

The dead skydivers

As 28 skydivers attempted to recreate the five Olympic rings using nothing but their human forms, two in the group got their parachutes tangled and fell to their deaths. The performance was “part of the official build-up” to the games. Police are now investigating whether the equipment itself was to blame.

Although I know nothing about skydiving safety, I’m inclined to guess that yes, some safety measures probably failed here, given the games’ past shortcoming in this department...

The dead bikers
View attachment 17106
hthri8psea92qswzal5u.jpg

Back in April, a fancy new bike path that had been heralded as part of the Olympics’ infrastructure improvements collapsed, killing two people and injuring a third. According to the Associated Press, “A giant wave apparently swept up a rocky cliff, lifted an approximately 150-foot (50-meter) stretch of the bike path and sent it plunging onto the rocks and sea below.”

Shoddy construction is an ongoing problem in Brazil, but the bike path had been championed as “the most beautiful bike path in the world” by Rio’s mayor, Eduardo Paes. (Not that beauty has much to do with the integrity of the path’s construction.) Now, Paes has apparently changed his mind, calling the path and it’s wave-prone breakage “unpardonable.” What’s more, a spokeswoman for the company that built the bike path refused to tell the AP whether or not it had had a hand in any additional Olympics-related construction projects.

It’s unclear who wanted a bike path anyway, frankly.

Security guards caught stealing
Nine laptops were recently stolen from the Olympic center in Rio. Though the culprits were apparently the center’s own hired security guards. Six of them were involved in some capacity, all of whom have since been fired.

This is a good time to mention that about a third of the country is in poverty.

Beached, disembodied limbs
View attachment 17107
pasmvg5dzjljegku264b.jpg

Ok, to be fair, this one isn’t so much a direct danger as it as a terrible omen of what’s to come. On June 30, directly in front of the beach volleyball arena on Copacabana beach, a beach-goer found “human body parts” that had casually washed up on shore.

Among the body parts were one (1) foot and one (1) something, which has not yet been identified.

Unfinished construction
View attachment 17109
vjtnwdgf3ccgjxugbmkv.jpg

The state of Rio de Janeiro was forced to declare a state of “financial disaster” in June, allowing it to take “exceptional measures” to cover its mounting Olympics-related debt. Rio finally got the $900 million federal bailout on June 30, which means the city only got 36 days to fix the many, many problems plaguing what will soon be the Olympic capital of the world.

The lack of funds meant that major Olympic projects are behind schedule, the most notable example being the city’s new public Light Rail System. The city had to halt construction, which left areas and streets in partially completed disrepair, as seen above.

Oil in the water
View attachment 17111
dcv5x9se39nm1zbb9kfn.jpg

Just yesterday, Olympic sailors started complaining that an oil slick in Guanabara bay was turning their boats from white to brown. As Camilla Cedercreutz, a sailor from Finland, told the AP, “We’ve never seen anything like this. It was all over the place. There was no way you could avoid it.”

Apparently, Cerecreutz’s partner told her that their boat “looks like a toilet.” Which is either a testament to just how filthy the water really is or a shocking insight into how other teams are getting the most our of their vessels.

Either way, though the boats were “completely brown,” one sailor added that that wasn’t even the worst part. That particular honor belonged to all the dead, rotting fish.

Zika

Despite its ability to grab headlines, Zika actually isn’t as much a threat as the dozen-odd other risks you’ll be coming up against. The Brazilian Health Minister himself has said that “of the 500,000 foreign tourists who will come, only one will get the Zika virus, so it’s almost a zero risk.”

Which of course, doesn’t mean you definitely won’t contract Zika, it’s just less likely than that you’ll be done in by the...

Deadly super bacteria in the water
View attachment 17108
yficakbdsu5qcgfzbhk1.jpg

Rio’s local bodies of water will expose the world’s greatest athletes to an antibiotic-resistant super bacteria in addition to all that oil I just told you about. Supposedly, the super bacteria actually came from constant flow of untreated hospital waste and sewage.

According to Reuters, one study found that ninety percent of the samples taken from the waterway meant to house this summer’s sailing events tested positive for the nightmare superbug. Fortunately for our triathlon swimmers, only ten percent of the samples in their area came back positive.

One Olympic sailor has already had to be “treated at a Berlin hospital for MRSA, a flesh-eating bacteria.” Who knows what other fun surprises Rio’s watery depths might hold...

Poop in the water
View attachment 17110
xjhzmawbu0okvllmw1rm.jpg

That’s what! This summer, thousands of the world’s top rowers and swimmers will finally face the waters that they’ve been training for their entire lives—and also it will include human sewage. Rio’s waterways are full of raw sewage, which flows in untreated from rivers and open-air ditches. Everyone participating in an outdoor water sport will be swimming in feces.

And if you can believe it, it smells, too. According to the Associated Press, “Prime beaches are deserted because the surf is thick with putrid sludge, and periodic die-offs leave the Olympic lake, Rodrigo de Freitas, littered with rotting fish.”

The rowers seem particularly fucked; they’ll be in the Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, which the AP described as “waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games.” Last summer, the water was found to contain disease-causing viruses at 1.7 million times what would qualify as “hazardous on a Southern California beach.”

That’s if the tourists and athletes make it to the beach at all, since Rio is experiencing...

More crime than ever
In the month of April, murders in the state of Rio were up 15 percent and robberies were up 24 percent. And there doesn’t seem to be a clear end in sight.

According to The Washington Post, even the the Rio state security secretary, José Beltrame, admitted that “without any doubt, the situation got worse in the last four months.” Apparently, “drug gangs” are getting bolder, and thus far, two Spanish Olympic sailors and their coach have been mugged and a German tv station had about 400,000 euros worth of equipment stolen in Rio.

All of this would be less of a problem, of course, if it weren’t for the...

Disgruntled, unpaid cops
View attachment 17112
hnit7xncprdjbnlkhyso.jpg

“Welcome to hell,” reads the banner being held up by the men and women whose jobs it is to keep humans from danger, “Police and firefighters don’t get paid, whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe.”

A large part of the problem is the fact that the state of Rio de Janeiro simply hasn’t received the already-approved funds it needs to pay for the necessary security (and transportation, for that matter). Francisco Dornelles, Rio’s Mayor,told a local newspaper last week that “the police fleet runs the risk of stopping. We managed to stretch the finances and we’ll only last until the end of the week.”

In the meantime, some police stations had resorted to asking locals to donate such basic necessities as toilet paper. Toilet paper which will then probably end up in some triathlon swimmer’s mouth. The circle of life. Speaking of which...

Hospitals running out of meds

In the not at all unlikely scenario that bodily harm does befall an Olympian or spectator, there’s no need to worry, because Rio’s hospitals are second to none.

Just kidding! The wounded and sick can anticipate having one hell of a time trying to find a hospital bed. Thanks to Brazil’s financial crisis, the public sector has effectively collapsed—including the city’s hospitals. Rio the state even had to hand over its hospitals to Rio the city in an effort to get their doctors paid, which many still haven’t been.

And to top it all off, the hospitals are running out of syringes and basic medications, with one doctor noting that they “have to improvise.” What exactly that means remains a horrifying mystery, and I will not be around to find out, since I am not going anywhere near the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Let the games begin. And god rest your souls

When i say banana republic i talk from my experience in different SA countries where the rule of law is only applied to a certain few, this has happened even in our family because of our heritage we more than once were dismissed from serious bullshit because a family member was a president, amogst other stuff. Law should be applied to anyone regardless of who they are.

I agree, and the US hasn't got any worse in this regard just because the FBI was too pussy to recommend charges against Lyin' Hillary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom