Car Talk

Last wash of the year, it turns Thruth Thruth cold here tomorrow, aka 'actively dying cold.

20171230_091259.jpg

It's like most Mopar, it goes very fast in a straight line, but God help you if you try and turn.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the entire Hellcat motor line. The thing is a fucking antique. I'm an old time Mopar guy, and they let me down.

I actually had the 5.9 Jeep, the first HP SUV.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news...s-the-forgotten-hot-rod-grand-cherokee-258649

Have you seen doug demuro’s review?
Name another engine with 840hp with a 3 year warranty. It might be antique, but it works. I have practically the same engine without the supercharger and it performs wonderfully. Massive amounts of torque from practically idle onwards, and it keeps pulling. Amazing sound as well. Mpg is pretty awful though (10MPG in LA traffic, but I drive it in sport mode and frequently do redline pulls). As soon as oil prices rise significantly FCA is fucked.

Have you seen doug demuro’s review?
Name another engine with 840hp with a 3 year warranty. It might be antique, but it works. I have practically the same engine without the supercharger and it performs wonderfully. Massive amounts of torque from practically idle onwards, and it keeps pulling. Amazing sound as well. Mpg is pretty awful though (10MPG in LA traffic, but I drive it in sport mode and frequently do redline pulls). As soon as oil prices rise significantly FCA is fucked.

The Hellcat is 707 HP, the Demon is 840. They are both very underwhelming, and the Demon is marginal IMO for even selling to the general public in a street legal car. There's a reason there are websites dedicated to tracking the lowest miles accrued before totaling a Hellcat (I think 11 miles is the current record). I'd put the over/under on Demons totalled at 50% or so. There's a certain kind of moron that buys these things.

If you wanted a high HP pushrod V8, I'd be happy to slap a 6-71 on an old 460 Ford and give you 1000+ HP for way less than you would pay for a Hellcat crate motor. I'd even warranty it for 3 years. This shit is child's play.

If Mopar wants to reclaim their place as a premier motor company, they need to desperately work on their platforms, and come out with a motor from the late 20th century, not even gonna ask for a 21st century motor. The current Ford F150 motors are lightyears ahead of these things, or to describe it faithfully, Ford's everyday commercial engine is several generations ahead of Mopars highest performance engine. As someone who loves the B Body Mopar unequivocally, the current stuff is sacrilege.

The Hellcat is 707 HP, the Demon is 840. They are both very underwhelming, and the Demon is marginal IMO for even selling to the general public in a street legal car. There's a reason there are websites dedicated to tracking the lowest miles accrued before totaling a Hellcat (I think 11 miles is the current record). I'd put the over/under on Demons totalled at 50% or so. There's a certain kind of moron that buys these things.

If you wanted a high HP pushrod V8, I'd be happy to slap a 6-71 on an old 460 Ford and give you 1000+ HP for way less than you would pay for a Hellcat crate motor. I'd even warranty it for 3 years. This shit is child's play.

If Mopar wants to reclaim their place as a premier motor company, they need to desperately work on their platforms, and come out with a motor from the late 20th century, not even gonna ask for a 21st century motor. The current Ford F150 motors are lightyears ahead of these things, or to describe it faithfully, Ford's everyday commercial engine is several generations ahead of Mopars highest performance engine. As someone who loves the B Body Mopar unequivocally, the current stuff is sacrilege.

I thought being antique was part of the appeal? There’s no competition in the muscle car class. Ford doesn’t lease the mustang GT and it’s a bit too small, while the Camaro is ugly as sin and is defintely sports car sized.

doghouse doghouse ok so i finally got around to doing the outside. inside after a break here. shit's tiring. take the notes with a grain of salt - the car hasn't been washed since i bought it at the end of october.

the sonax and the speed master brush didn't work well on these rims. will post up a pic in a minute. could use something like a wheel brush there. some tire black wouldn't hurt either i don't think given the rim looks.

the wash mit was too floopy and i had to go over the car a few times to get off all the bird shit and tree mess that was caked on. could use something to scrub with. 2 bucket system seemed to work well. couldn't tell much of a difference with the grit guards in the bucket.

colonite 8xx seemed to be pretty good as far as wax goes. will see how it holds up. i used two microfiber pads and they were very dirty after the waxing.

the meguiars microfiber drying towel was not good. it also picked up a lot of dirt which was a function of the car washing i believe. especially around the mirrors and crevasses of the car.

doghouse doghouse ok so i finally got around to doing the outside. inside after a break here. shit's tiring. take the notes with a grain of salt - the car hasn't been washed since i bought it at the end of october.

the sonax and the speed master brush didn't work well on these rims. will post up a pic in a minute. could use something like a wheel brush there. some tire black wouldn't hurt either i don't think given the rim looks.

the wash mit was too floopy and i had to go over the car a few times to get off all the bird shit and tree mess that was caked on. could use something to scrub with. 2 bucket system seemed to work well. couldn't tell much of a difference with the grit guards in the bucket.

colonite 8xx seemed to be pretty good as far as wax goes. will see how it holds up. i used two microfiber pads and they were very dirty after the waxing.

the meguiars microfiber drying towel was not good. it also picked up a lot of dirt which was a function of the car washing i believe. especially around the mirrors and crevasses of the car.

Well, you have done the hardest part, started. Given the amount of crud on the car, my advice is to wash it again before 2021, and then make a decision on products and such. It's just so dirty now it's hard to really tell. To be honest, a mitt won't really clean the first time, you probably need to clay at minimum to get the embedded dirt out.

For wheels like yours, I'd get a cheapo mitt, then hit the black areas with speedmaster. Or even wheel woolies. Personally I like Nextzett Colortec for wheels, but plenty of people like Sonax. You need to leave it on for a couple minutes before scrubbing in either case, and as long as you have neglected them, if say 3 or 4 cleanings minimum to get through the funk.

I stay away from tire stuff. A lot of it degrades the rubber, and it all attracts dirt, which is kind of a vicious cycle. Get and sort of citrus cleaner, and a good stiff bristle brush. Those tires are still way funky.

A brush like this here.

https://www.pinnaclewax.com/low-pro...MIt-z4g_zT2QIVikoNCh0aCwMLEAkYAyABEgKO_vD_BwE

Well, you have done the hardest part, started. Given the amount of crud on the car, my advice is to wash it again before 2021, and then make a decision on products and such. It's just so dirty now it's hard to really tell. To be honest, a mitt won't really clean the first time, you probably need to clay at minimum to get the embedded dirt out.

For wheels like yours, I'd get a cheapo mitt, then hit the black areas with speedmaster. Or even wheel woolies. Personally I like Nextzett Colortec for wheels, but plenty of people like Sonax. You need to leave it on for a couple minutes before scrubbing in either case, and as long as you have neglected them, if say 3 or 4 cleanings minimum to get through the funk.

I stay away from tire stuff. A lot of it degrades the rubber, and it all attracts dirt, which is kind of a vicious cycle. Get and sort of citrus cleaner, and a good stiff bristle brush. Those tires are still way funky.

A brush like this here.

https://www.pinnaclewax.com/low-profile-tire-brush.html?utm_source=low-profile-tire-brush&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-z4g_zT2QIVikoNCh0aCwMLEAkYAyABEgKO_vD_BwE
that's the type of brush i was talking about for the tires. i've seen a few different styles but i need something with a little backbone to get into those grooves in the rims. the sonax was weird because it says its supposed to turn purple but it never did. i find it hard to believe there was no brake dust...

what about something like a wash brush for the car? https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-9202...id=1520212368&sr=8-31&keywords=car+wash+brush

do you have a recommendation on a clay bar?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
that's the type of brush i was talking about for the tires. i've seen a few different styles but i need something with a little backbone to get into those grooves in the rims. the sonax was weird because it says its supposed to turn purple but it never did. i find it hard to believe there was no brake dust...

what about something like a wash brush for the car? https://www.amazon.com/Carrand-9202...id=1520212368&sr=8-31&keywords=car+wash+brush

do you have a recommendation on a clay bar?

Well that brush I posted is for tires and not wheels. The bristles are way too stiff for rims.

I'd have to feel the bristles on the other brush you posted to give any input. Really needs to be very soft or you will ruin wheel paint and make brake dust stick that much more. If you really want to get ahead of the game, use an acrylic sealant or wheel wax on them, it will keep dust from sticking.

Well that brush I posted is for tires and not wheels. The bristles are way too stiff for rims.

I'd have to feel the bristles on the other brush you posted to give any input. Really needs to be very soft or you will ruin wheel paint and make brake dust stick that much more. If you really want to get ahead of the game, use an acrylic sealant or wheel wax on them, it will keep dust from sticking.
that long handled brush is for the car, not the wheels. they sell them in those car wash kits and a lot of them have hose passthroughs so you can dunk them into the soap bucket and then wash off the car. i was looking at something like this for tires:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...13742&sr=8-1&keywords=long+handled+tire+brush

what the fuck is wheel wax?

doghouse doghouse did the interior. the invisible cleaner is good on the glass. the nexbit cleaner for the dash didn't seem like it was anything special and really didn't seem to do any "armor all-ing" to the dashboard. it cleaned, sure, but left things kind of bland looking. is the shine added with the 303 shit? that seems like a pain in the ass to use both of them every time.

what do you use to vacuum? i suppose i'd prefer to avoid having to drag out the shop vac and the extension cord every time.

forgot to add - the meguiar's gold class soap seemed fair but like i said, didn't really do a good job of getting the dirt out successfully. i used 4 capfulls in the bucket like the bottle suggests.

the nexbit cleaner

Do you mean Nextzett?

If so, then it is not supposed to leave any shine. The goal of this operation is to maintain the original dash surface so it looks new. Which is also the goal of detailing in general. If you look a concours level detailing jobs, you will see that making the car look unused is generally what your end goal is.

If you want the ghetto fabulous shine, then you will need Armor All or something, but that will attract dust. 303 will give a minor shine, I linked upthread showing an A/B comparison of Cockpit Premium vs. 303 I think.

what do you use to vacuum? i suppose i'd prefer to avoid having to drag out the shop vac and the extension cord every time.

I've tried a bunch of different things, and usually end up with a shop vac.It sucks but I don't really have any better options for you. I've got the Autobahn wall mount vac as well, but it really is designed for using in a garage bay, and kind of suck otherwise.

I'm not sure about that brush, it will probably scratch your paint and take all the wax you just put on right off. Like I said, try and wash the car again within a couple weeks and see how it goes before making decisions. There was a metric ton if ingrained contaminants from how long you let it go, gonna take time to get it off.

Wheel wax is a high temp formula so the brake heat doesn't melt it off.

Drove a c63 AMG a few weeks back, the car blew my mind. It's luxury, speed, power, comfort all in one package.

Sedan, biturbo V8.

Whichever company did the software interface did an amazing job, it had the best GPS graphics out of all cars I have driven. The only disappointment is that the it is not fully integrated into the dash like Audis.

MPG was good if not flooring it. Otherwise got about 5mpg. Lol

Sedan, biturbo V8.

Whichever company did the software interface did an amazing job, it had the best GPS graphics out of all cars I have driven. The only disappointment is that the it is not fully integrated into the dash like Audis.

MPG was good if not flooring it. Otherwise got about 5mpg. Lol

They are all biturbo v8s.

The wagon is wild. Coupe or Sedan is nice, could do with more power though. Almost 100 hp less than my X5M.

They are all biturbo v8s.

The wagon is wild. Coupe or Sedan is nice, could do with more power though. Almost 100 hp less than my X5M.

I knew you are boss, just couldn't figure out how bossy. Now I know, you are true boss

I am not sure if Porsche still does the Cayenne GTS in 6 speed, but that would be a good package .

If I had unlimited dough, I would import a 6 speed manual Land Cruiser from Asia.

Anyone heard of John Cadogan? He trashes a lot of the middle end european style cars (under $150,000). I don't know much about cars, but l do admit to having a listen to him trashing the `so called' prestigious brands. Why? Because it reminds me of shoos and cashmere, `so called' luxury has been made available to the masses so that every man and his dog can now have the fancy badges on their car. He trashes mercedes intensely.

Top 10 Mercedes Benz Myths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgY6A3RPcU&t=534s

Heck, even if you have 5K to spare you can now have status with the three pointed star. Look!
https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-f...ey=cg_s.ebaf65b4909bd1f46c6870ebe815efa0#pos1

and if you are really hard up for cash you can even have status with a buggy car that has the three pointed star stuck on it for a touch over 2K.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-f...ey=cg_s.ebaf65b4909bd1f46c6870ebe815efa0#pos8

See, it is democratization of perceived luxury.

Last edited:
They're mega popular over here, if you work for local government in any kind of management position you tend to get a Tesla as part of your package. Then you can virtue signal and slag of the oil industry and nasty petrol heads as far as the limited range will take you.
i'd take a tesla in a heartbeat. i just wouldn't pay their over-inflated prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom