Corduroy

I am going to do dark brown first. Extremely thick and heavy, and they will be made with double forward pleats, made for braces, fishtail and no cuffs. They will be specially made to be worn with my shawl cardigans. I will also order a dark brown donegal tweed trousers, but so far my tailor only has 17 oz tweeds, but l asked him to find 22oz for trousers.

By the time l get these two trousers the winter will be half over, so i'll get the bone, golden/orange and purple next year. The golden/orange is stunning in person and very classic, however the purple is pretty silly in a traditional cut, but it will be fun so l am doing it.
Very nice project, lucky choice of colours. Already got something done?

I totally agree, cord has to be thick and heavy, and cut and fit have to be wide and relaxed, even though it is valid for any fabric to me.

Doesn't the 20% sale bring it down to $230? Not a bad price. What do you get for $230 these days? It's quarter lined which is kinda strange as they quote the weight as "cool weather". It will expand your range to wear it a bit in your climate so that is not a bad thing I guess. It has them, the patches, which is nice. Healthy lapels. It is decent China-made with some hand passes.

Slim pickings on fleabay for NWT corduroy jackets. Someone who wears a 56/46 can get a cashco taupe Zegna and a tan Boglioli K in the $200 to $300 range. The discount luxury men's site have nothing. Lauren Ralph Lauren which is not RL costs more than that.

Its about perfect for the alcohol English professor or seventies Robert Redford journalist look. also looks like something that might (gasp) work with jeans and an OCBD.

I guess it’s been so long since I’ve worn officewear that my interest just isn’t really there right now. I have a baby camel sports coat in the same color. Maybe if I can offload that one, I’ll grab the needle cord jacket.

Very nice project, lucky choice of colours. Already got something done?

I totally agree, cord has to be thick and heavy, and cut and fit have to be wide and relaxed, even though it is valid for any fabric to me.
I called my tailor the other day. It has been a long time. The trial pair hasn't even been started yet. It's been months. Now we are in lockdown again for the forth time.

Yes, corduroy needs to be relaxed and thick, otherwise it is not in the true character of corduroy trousers. Lightweight cords and jean cut are a waste of time, a total joke imo.

Is it in mustard yellow?
1623044064987.jpeg

Tie length opinion too irrelevant.
Of course you (and everyone) are free to wear your ties as long as you like, it's just my opinion: as it always is in matter of menswear, as there's not the TRUTH, but just opinions and tastes. Try though to tie your tie in order to have it 5 to 10cm shorter and I think you'll recognize yourself the improvent.

By the way, the tie matches very good with the suit.

Last edited:
Of course you (and everyone) are free to wear your ties as long as you like, it's just my opinion: as it always is in matter of menswear, as there's not the TRUTH, but just opinions and tastes. Try though to tie your tie in order to have it 5 to 10cm shorter and I think you'll recognize yourself the improvent.

By the way, the tie matches very good with the suit.

While I am fully aware that the accepted norm is to have the tip of the tie barely touching the waistband, I think it's mostly a matter of taste. Here's Signore Agnelli, whom we can all agree had a pretty decent sense of style, doing whatever he fancied wrt tie length.

1623080070328.png
1623080084560.png
1623080097903.png

1623080208801.png
1623080221092.png
1623080232861.png

I think the point has been made ad nauseam in this forum. Shall we let it rest, agreeing to disagree perhaps, and accepting that it's not such a big deal? I don't think it's necessary to point out every time someone has a tie length that goes beyond the waistband line.

Here's Signore Agnelli, whom we can all agree had a pretty decent sense of style, doing whatever he fancied wrt tie length.

Somebody would call it sense of "sprezzatura", to me it's just unforgivably sloppy, the more that he once wore the tie very long and the next time ridiculously short with tie penor stuck in the trousers.

I think the point has been made ad nauseam in this forum. Shall we let it rest, agreeing to disagree perhaps, and accepting that it's not such a big deal? I don't think it's necessary to point out every time someone has a tie length that goes beyond the waistband line.

Sorry, I can't agree. As I said, everybody can wear what he likes the way he likes, but I have the right to criticise what I dislike: that's ultimately the reason of such a forum.

Somebody would call it sense of "sprezzatura", to me it's just unforgivably sloppy, the more that he once wore the tie very long and the next time ridiculously short with tie penor stuck in the trousers.

Sorry, I can't agree. As I said, everybody can wear what he likes the way he likes, but I have the right to criticise what I dislike: that's ultimately the reason of such a forum.

While I actually agree with you on proper tie length, I think we can keep the criticism within agreed upon threads. If someone posts an outfit in WAYWT, it’s assumed they are looking for a complete critique. If someone posts a pic of their cord suit in the corduroy thread then starting a tie length derailment might be uncalled for.

Not many here need a lecture on tie length in any forum (though I do agree with Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith as to when it might be appropriate or not). One might also think that if belinmad belinmad changes his posture he may have less tie penor. If it is tie penor, it is small tie penor in scale to begin with. I really don't think he gives a shit, which I can get behind, figuratively but not literally, mind.

I've also held to the common practice of not pointing out dressing tips about anyone's clothing unless I've posted pics of myself. Tit for tat. Penor for penor. That is why I have become inured to monk boot hate from big and little daddies.

So step up, one measly fit pic and then you are as free as the next guy to point out tie penor infractions. belinmad belinmad has. Pimps has. Even Arnathor Arnathor has FFS. You have to dig back in time.

Hell, even Sarto when he was here posted fit pics of many hand passes.

1623114283492.jpeg

While I actually agree with you on proper tie length, I think we can keep the criticism within agreed upon threads. If someone posts an outfit in WAYWT, it’s assumed they are looking for a complete critique. If someone posts a pic of their cord suit in the corduroy thread then starting a tie length derailment might be uncalled for.
I respect your opinion, though I dissent: it's not a derailment to speak about tie length, it's pertinent, as we talk about style. If you post an outfit, it will be judged in its wholeness.
To be honest the necktie is a matter I especially care, as I see so many abominations which distort the character of a great accessory.

By the way, my judgement is mostly positive: I praised colours and matching.

I respect your opinion, though I dissent: it's not a derailment to speak about tie length, it's pertinent, as we talk about style. If you post an outfit, it will be judged in its wholeness.
To be honest the necktie is a matter I especially care, as I see so many abominations which distort the character of a great accessory.

By the way, my judgement is mostly positive: I praised colours and matching.

I didn't post an outfit. Someone asked about suit color, and I sent a picture of it I had at hand as a reply. I wasn't asking or inviting commentary on it, and the tie was not the point of it, by any means.

Also, as Thruth Thruth suggested, I think it would add a lot of credibility to your commentary on other people's outfits if you posted pictures of your own style, so we know where things are coming from. Calling Agnelli "unforgivably sloppy" is laughable, at best, unless you dress like Prince Philip, or similar.

I didn't post an outfit. Someone asked about suit color, and I sent a picture of it I had at hand as a reply. I wasn't asking or inviting commentary on it, and the tie was not the point of it, by any means.

Also, as Thruth Thruth suggested, I think it would add a lot of credibility to your commentary on other people's outfits if you posted pictures of your own style, so we know where things are coming from. Calling Agnelli "unforgivably sloppy" is laughable, at best, unless you dress like Prince Philip, or similar.
I've posted a lot of items I own and wear in several threads, but it's not the point: even if I wouldn't, I had the right to express my opinion, that's the purpose of a forum.
I always try to be fair and unbiased in my comments and rather underline the positive, unlike many others here that just criticise because something is worn by a person they hate. I often praised your outfits too, but you seem to take it very personally with the slightest criticism.
Don't worry, from now on I will completely ignore you.

I've posted a lot of items I own and wear in several threads, but it's not the point: even if I wouldn't, I had the right to express my opinion, that's the purpose of a forum.
I always try to be fair and unbiased in my comments and rather underline the positive, unlike many others here that just criticise because something is worn by a person they hate. I often praised your outfits too, but you seem to take it very personally with the slightest criticism.
Don't worry, from now on I will completely ignore you.
You are free to post whatever opinion you want. But don't confuse the point. Posting items you've bought and will wear is different than you posting yourself wearing them. That was the point. Don't be surprised to be called out if you havre no fit pics but are correcting others. That's how things go on menswear fora.

Looking for some advice...

Just collected a MTM cord coat in a light brown cloth by Loro Piana. The cloth is the same as I had a pair of trousers made in last fall. I had the trousers cleaned ready to be worn as part of the, now, suit. The coat is darker than the trousers which is a shitter. The cloth is cotton and super soft, would the cloth lose colour in a dry clean? Its not a million miles off but unwearable as a suit.

Looking for some advice...

Just collected a MTM cord coat in a light brown cloth by Loro Piana. The cloth is the same as I had a pair of trousers made in last fall. I had the trousers cleaned ready to be worn as part of the, now, suit. The coat is darker than the trousers which is a shitter. The cloth is cotton and super soft, would the cloth lose colour in a dry clean? Its not a million miles off but unwearable as a suit.
My guess is that no one but you will see the difference.

My guess is that no one but you will see the difference.
You may be right, but it'd bug me. I'm going to order another pair today. I guess the two cloths were different batches with the time the garments were ordered apart. Maybe dyed slighty different or it might just be because the trousers have been worn a bit and cleaned, in which case it'll all even out over time.

I bought a Brizzy Moss green cord jacket a few years ago and had a similar dilemma the following year, thinking about ordering matching trousers. The shop told me not to do it because there are significant color variations from the mill, year to year, though that Foxtooth guy successfully matched the same jacket to trousers made-up by a different brand.

I love cord, but it's a bloody magnet for fluff and lint.
Not true for all cord.

I have stuff that pretty much never attracts fluff and other cord that is a nightmare and stuff in between.

Years of almost proper research I can’t find an explanation.

You may be right, but it'd bug me. I'm going to order another pair today. I guess the two cloths were different batches with the time the garments were ordered apart. Maybe dyed slighty different or it might just be because the trousers have been worn a bit and cleaned, in which case it'll all even out over time.
You might try brushing up the nap on one the other way or whatever. It may be the way that cord catches the light rather then the colour. I’ve got 2 cord suits and sometimes the bottom and top look slightly different depending on light and the nap.

I tried brushing the nap. I've just bit the bullet and ordered another pair. Can't say this cloth collects fluff but I fully expect it to collect beer and kebab strains.

Not true for all cord.

I have stuff that pretty much never attracts fluff and other cord that is a nightmare and stuff in between.

Years of almost proper research I can’t find an explanation.
I even have a difference between pairs bought at the same time, from the same manufacturer, from the same cloth, only different colors: Three are perfectly fine and one is a nightmare.

In my opinion, a tie too short is more offensive than a tie too long, especially if the user is tall and thin.

Don't know about you, but I never see a too short tie here and in internet, as opposite to countless cases of too long ones.

Don't know about you, but I never see a too short tie here and in internet, as opposite to countless cases of too long ones.

Or on TV. I just finished the series The Defeated and with appreciation for the period costume design:

5AAAF258-7C20-4F9F-A27E-A732AF4B1C76.jpeg

His tie looks shorter in other scenes, with the collar closed.

I dig the mid-60s cords, boots and TypeIII trucker look a lot more than 70s bell bottom cords and shag carpets.

Somewhere there is a pic on my in apple green flaired cords heading off to my first day of primary school.

😥 People discussing cords like they are talking about some relic from the ancient past.

AF202FB2-DB18-4CE3-BB3E-E812EA061A53.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom