Famous People Who Died

Smoking ciggies is a mugs game: you run that gauntlet of esophageal, bladder and lung cancers, only to be hit by chronic heart disease, having your legs cut off because of hardening of the arteries, emphysema and acceleration of asbestosis if you've been exposed to it.

It's the quality of life that deteriorates in heavy smokers, by the time the women are in the mid-thirties they already look in their fifties and I've never met heavy smokers who weren't plagued by ill health by the time they reached retirement age or very soon after it.
Other than that - its a lot of fun?

Straight to Hell.

I'd hardly consider David Koch a one-dimensional villain. He was for a number of reforms that I would consider progressive in the good sense like criminal justice reform, cutting military spending and advocating single-payer health insurance. He was also an early proponent of gay marriage. In all, he was a complex man and not just a "party line" right winger (whatever that may be).

It was purely political.

I have no feeling for the man as I don't know him. I do live in NYC:

David Koch’s donations helped positively shape New York City

Franco Columbu, one of bodybuilding's all-time greats and a notable strongman into the bargain. He was 78. I hadn't realized he was that old and had thought he was a closer contemporary of his buddy and training partner Arnold.

Franco Columbu, one of bodybuilding's all-time greats and a notable strongman into the bargain. He was 78. I hadn't realized he was that old and had thought he was a closer contemporary of his buddy and training partner Arnold.
arnold was born in 47 so he's on a few years behind

Going to re watch Pumping Iron for the millionth time in memory of one of the greatest builder ever lived.

Rhoda. She was 80.

She wasn’t even Jewish though. Makes a change a gentile playing a Jew. Usually it’s the other way round.

^If there is anything to this heaven and hell business, I am very sure he had an extremely warm reception awaiting him.

Robert Mugabe the anglophile has died.

Like most revolutionaries, he got a taste for opulence and absolute power, intriguingly the African leaders have been lining up to give praise to this dictator who brought misery to his people. The BBC trying to be balanced and to be fair there was a brief moment where he seemed a man of promise:

05deea9037cd9369d785ecf4221fce6fe4a9d80b4794ef08f21ed675f122e304.png

Like most revolutionaries, he got a taste for opulence and absolute power, intriguingly the African leaders have been lining up to give praise to this dictator who brought misery to his people.

It's oxymoronic he railed against colonial rule yet runs to Savile Row to pick up his bespoke suits and indulges in afternoon tea and cricket.

If he were born white I'm sure he'd be an ardent supporter of apartheid in Rhodesia.

It's oxymoronic he railed against colonial rule yet runs to Savile Row to pick up his bespoke suits and indulges in afternoon tea and cricket.

If he were born white I'm sure he'd be an ardent supporter of apartheid in Rhodesia.

It's a natural to want to self-govern and be master of one's own house. Of all the colonies of old Europe, when they adopted the Brit system of Common Law and good governance it has had the most success in Commonwealth Countries and also the USA and elsewhere. The ex-colonies of France etc, have been disaster. So too several Brit ones, but much less.

I don't know if the former French colonies have been more "disastrous" than some of the ex-British ones: Nigeria lapsed into civil war with the attempted secession of Biafra. The now dismembered Sudan has been an ongoing mess for years. Need I mention Uganda and Idi Amin? Zimbabwe is no Garden of Eden these days.

Among former French colonies, I think most of the "disasters" are in the Sahel region--Chad, CAR, Mali, etc. Some of this may be blamed on drought and climate change, also the spread of Islamic militancy, and the fall of Khadafi led to a vast influx of weaponry and unemployed mercenaries from Khadafi's forces. All of these are long after the ending of French colonialism.

Of course, you could say the wars that racked Indo-China for decades were a legacy of French colonialism. I guess Vietnam isn't too bad a place these days if you don't mind Communist dictatorships.

Then on the British side of the ledger, you have the India-Pakistan split, which has caused trouble (and several wars) to this day. We have the whole Israel-Palestine problem. I don't know if the problems of Iraq can be laid at the door of the British, since it became independent back in the 1930s. One could go on about this stuff, but why bother...

One could go on about this stuff, but why bother...

It's not a tally sheet, as the Brits had the biggest empire to begin with, so never a level playing field.

Not famous, but his mum was:

Diana Dors was absolutely adored by the media when she came back to the UK. Her husband wasn't but then went on to kill himself after she died. The son allegedly found his body after he had blown his head off with a shotgun. I remember the This Is Your Life episode on Dors and then there was a couple or one Diana Dors Specials. And all the talk of orgies and kinkiness at their home.

Dors and her husband boasted about salting money away for her son, he said he never got or found or gained access to any of it.

Clive James, brilliant travelogues, memoirs, criticism, wit and poetry:

There were three yesterday. In order :-

Gary Rhodes TV chef. Died in Dubai possibly after a fall. Never watched his shows but it was the top story in the papers for a while.

Clive James - sarcastic Australian. Seemed to be about to die for years.

Sir Jonathan Miller 85. Big shot in the Yarts. Started off in satire, then did theatre, opera etc. Was a qualified doctor - never practised.

Clive James - sarcastic Australian. Seemed to be about to die for years.

He benefited from the latest stem techniques which seriously prolonged his life expectancy. Even himself was surprised at how long he lasted.

In Christopher Hitchens autobiography James gets a mention as a serious drinker and a serious drinker by Hitchens terms must indeed be so.

Sir Jonathan Miller had been off the teley for quite some years, I had almost forgotten about him.

Gary Rhodes natural causes.....allegedly.

Lolita is 14 in that photo Fwifs. Where is the class, exactly? Or did you men that people (Hollywood pedos and sexualised little girls) dressed better back then?

Lolita is 14 in that photo Fwifs. Where is the class, exactly? Or did you men that people (Hollywood pedos and sexualised little girls) dressed better back then?

the black tie. I never watched the movie or saw her in any. Bit before my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom