Good Articles That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

What is the line? Are you asking me if i think people are going to want to pull down martin luther king jrs statue next? Because thats obviously ridiculous.
I am perfectly good with the protesters doing whatever damage they feel is necessary in service of their struggle.

Since we're here, whats your stand on the iraqi's pulling down sadaam's statue?

They could well pull down the statues of Martin Luther King Jnr, for not being radical or violent enough. On the anniversary of his death last year there was a lot of revisionist articles stating he was about to embrace a more violent struggle and had seen the error of his ways and the Civil Rights Movement. He will have to go, or be re-imagined as a revolutionary.

The pulling down of Saddam's statue was staged if you remember.

Should further statues, books, art on the American Civil War be censored and erased? The Lincoln Memorial as he hoped that freed black slaves might go back to Africa. Gone With The Wind a book and film told mainly from the perspective of the ruling class of slave plantation owners. What about Robbie Robertson's The Night They Drove All Dixie down, a pretty offensive song, sung from the perspective of someone from the Confederacy at the end of the war?

They could well pull down the statues of Martin Luther King Jnr, for not being radical or violent enough. On the anniversary of his death last year there was a lot of revisionist articles stating he was about to embrace a more violent struggle and had seen the error of his ways and the Civil Rights Movement. He will have to go, or be re-imagined as a revolutionary.
Maybe they will! if they decide thats best then more power to them.

The pulling down of Saddam's statue was staged if you remember.
i do but its the concept that matters here not the framing.

Should further statues, books, art on the American Civil War be censored and erased? The Lincoln Memorial as he hoped that freed black slaves might go back to Africa. Gone With The Wind a book and film told mainly from the perspective of the ruling class of slave plantation owners. What about Robbie Robertson's The Night They Drove All Dixie down, a pretty offensive song, sung from the perspective of someone from the Confederacy at the end of the war?
all these things are free for people to view or consume as they see fit. lincoln isn't going anywhere.

OK, so you support the destruction/removal of statues of Jefferson, Washington and Madison.
i dont hold sentimental value over items in public. personally i dont give a shit if there were no statues on any street corners. it just doesnt matter to me in the long term scheme of things.

Let's extend that a little further. Would you be happy renaming your capital city, and removing Washington's image from your currency, and his name from any building, street name, memorial &c?
YES! hell we've got a thing going with the washington redskins football team. while we're on this im curious of doghouse doghouse 's take on this. if all this colonial and racist shit went away then then my life wouldn't change one bit. the dopey name of a city isn't going to move the needle.

So the Germans shouldn’t have pulled down all those Swastikas and Hitler statues at the end of the war? The Reichstag shouldn’t revise their history by taking down the eagle and swastika? Eastern Europe shouldn’t be so ‘revisionist’ by getting rifle of the Stalin statues? Saddam Hussein should take pride of place in the center of Baghdad?
neither one of you have answered this question by the way.

neither one of you have answered this question by the way.

That's because nobody asked me.

Not all Nazi artefacts have been destroyed, in fact, the worst of them have been preserved as warnings/lessons from the past: Auschwitz, Belsen for example.

Would you like them destroyed?

The point I'm driving at is that your view on all this is very simplistic.

Smash it up...I feel better now!!!!!

^
Exactly what I’ve been saying: Preserve them in a museum where you can provide full historical context and not memorialised in the town square!!

From the good people at the Stop Trump Coalition Project in support of Black Lives Matter, targeting statues and monuments in the UK for destruction, it includes a natural rock that looks like a crow (no joke), Prime Minister Earl Grey who abolished slavery (can't win can you?), the explorer Captain James Cook, Robert Peel (because he founded the modern police force 'innit!), Sir Francis Drake, Gladstone, et al:

This is an attack on the history of the nation. I see Khan's jumped in on it too. Hopefully, we can replace the Churchill statue with one of him. Nah, not having any of it.

If we want to eviscerate all the bad things, Dachau and Auschwitz should be destroyed. Along with the Mayan temples where they did human sacrifice. This could go on for a very long time and to what end. Who knows 500 years from now mankind might think we are barbaric beasts and want to erase us.

Apparently mathematics is racist. Seattle now refers to it as western math and it is sack at and suppresses people.

Here is the background

here is the concept from the school board

Apparently mathematics is racist. Seattle now refers to it as western math and it is sack at and suppresses people.

Here is the background

These are the type of people that are going to co-opt the movement and end up in charge

I don't get that at all. Mathematics are about numbers. It's binary logic. You're either right you're either wrong. It's not even like arts where you can subjectively interpret something as offensive.

And we use Arabic numbers and the concept of zero which we can attribute to various shades of brown.

Statistics can be manipulated for political purposes. How you present mathematical data is very subjective. Phrenology ffs.

But teach the kids maths first and then talk about it’s application. That curriculum looks ridiculous.

I don't get that at all. Mathematics are about numbers. It's binary logic. You're either right you're either wrong. It's not even like arts where you can subjectively interpret something as offensive.

And we use Arabic numbers and the concept of zero which we can attribute to various shades of brown.

slave traders used “western math” counting slaves is something I read in another justification of this change

These are the type of people that are going to co-opt the movement and end up in charge

The movement has already been co-opted and that will be its downfall or rather why it will not be as successful. People are not speaking the same "language" already. I think you made the point in an answer somewhere about the Redskins but Redskins does not seem to matter at the moment. It is a great big clusterfuck with a vacuum in leadership on all sides. Pelosi saying disbanding the police is a local and state matter and the donning Kente colours.

It is a Heinz 57 of mixed messages.

The movement has already been co-opted and that will be its downfall or rather why it will not be as successful. People are not speaking the same "language" already. I think you made the point in an answer somewhere about the Redskins but Redskins does not seem to matter at the moment. It is a great big clusterfuck with a vacuum in leadership on all sides. Pelosi saying disbanding the police is a local and state matter and the donning Kente colours.

At this stage, I am not convinced this neo-Marxist/post-modernist cultural revolution will be contained, this is a good article:

Against the benchmark of Mao's Cultural Revolution, you already have an indoctrinated youth army and the targeting of a class, in this case the professional law enforcement/police forces as an undesirable counter revolutionary force that must have their members (i) shamed in public, (ii) marginalized and (iii) erased along with the statues and monuments.

In London, Khan is deploying a Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm which is looking at statues, monuments, street names and even museums with the mission to rename, remove and replace with minority figures from BAME and LGBTQ+ communities. Even the Tate galleries are being targeted with an ominous warning whether renaming them is not enough as it would serve to ''cleanse the reputation'' of such institutions. What then: destroy the art works and building that do not meet the cultural values of the Commission?

The Democrats are cynically riding the snake in the hope that their ritual public displays of devotion to the purity of the revolution will deliver them to the promised land in November. The deal with the Devil will still stand. It's not enough to beat Trump at the ballot box, it has to be a founding myth of the new utopia that it was indeed a revolution that removed Trump and the Republicans from power forever.

Meanwhile, a prediction of mine has already come to pass with the purging of Gone With The Wind by HBO. Good job I've got the Bluray.

For many of us, there's a sense of dread and a realization that we are likely to have to remove ourselves from the common culture of our time as we are not welcome in it, nor is it worthy of our participation. And wait for the knock at the door, when they come for us. Alternatively, time to get engaged and get ready for the counter revolution.

For many of us, there's a sense of dread and a realization that we are likely to have to remove ourselves from the common culture of our time as we are not welcome in it, nor is it worthy of our participation. And wait for the knock at the door, when they come for us. Alternatively, time to get engaged and get ready for the counter revolution.
even for you this is a little dramatic

1591781940775.png

This makes it sound as though the whole thing was some sort of cunning plot by China.

In fact, it's simply capitalism. Owners of capital will seek out opportunities to obtain the best return. Prior to China, companies moved production around various other countries - southern Europe, South Korea, Taiwan and other places. China offered low wages, low safety regulations, secure and stable investment environment and a massive, well-educated workforce and so capital flocked to invest.

If India, Nigeria or similar countries could offer the same things but at a lower price than China, then capital would move there.
Otherwise known as ‘the race to the bottom’.

This be the the sentence: ''The truth is that globalisation, the central political dream of Clinton and Blair, Obama and Cameron, was never real. It was a process by which advanced Western economies unilaterally surrendered their manufacturing capacity to a rival, growing power, China, which instead of reciprocating according to the Panglossian calculations of the neoliberal theorists, practiced a traditional and ruthless mercantilism in pursuit of its own interests.''

Neoliberalism, now in a very decadent Woke phase, looks like the rock USA status and influence will perish on. In the poetry of W.B, Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

And in the words of the Clash: it's Armagideon time!
Threats to economic supremacy were previously resolved by war (as with Germany). That is not a welcome solution nowadays; but the West will have to rethink its policies to accommodate strategic interests - and to do so pretty damn quickly.

even for you this is a little dramatic

There are others who agree with me:

And he still hasn't planted any of the trees he promised.

The Guardian, as you will also notice, are one of the more warmongering newspapers when the piper calls the tune in Libya and Syria.

They shouldn't get a pass for Libya either, which now has its own black slave markets. But those black lives matter naught.

Well, well, well, the loathsome Jackie Walker, she just can't shut up can she?

no disagreement there. one of the big issues so far is how there has been a lack of a clear coherent message or set of demands. of course, expecting everyone to wait until there has been a "formal" deal is ridiculous as well. im just not sure where the happy medium is on this.

no disagreement there. one of the big issues so far is how there has been a lack of a clear coherent message or set of demands. of course, expecting everyone to wait until there has been a "formal" deal is ridiculous as well. im just not sure where the happy medium is on this.

That is the problem indeed: no practical, doable middle ground. Which is my whole problem with the definition of "defund the police". There is no level of sophistication.

That face when NASCAR is less racist than the President of the United States.

EA2FE1ED-DF8B-4540-B453-37D98030001A.jpeg

Here is the background

Americans would make a Great Leap Forward in mathematics once the they learn to abbreviate it to ‘maths’ instead of ‘math’ (sic)

My own maths teacher was old school and a great xenophobe. He was also a former Lancaster bomber pilot and in a prisoner of war camp from age 23. German exchange pupils were interesting to watch during his classes. However we all got through the maths exams with flying colours a year before everybody else.

Selective education was one of the great successes of post war Britain- the grammar schools.

So, of course, they abolished them. People who had climbed the ladder busied themselves sawing off the bottom rungs.

I suppose we can be grateful that we never had to put up with ‘bussing’ of pupils into schools. That’s a great way to hold back the brighter ones.

That face when NASCAR is less racist than the President of the United States.

View attachment 33921
Poor old Dukes of Hazzard.

Naming their car ‘General Lee’ must be a hate crime for a start. Then, of course, there is a confederate flag on the roof.

As an old age pensioner, only being able to gain entry to the vehicle via the window is a bigger issue. Doors that actually open are always a bonus on a motor car.

Americans would make a Great Leap Forward in mathematics once the they learn to abbreviate it to ‘maths’ instead of ‘math’ (sic)

My own maths teacher was old school and a great xenophobe. He was also a former Lancaster bomber pilot and in a prisoner of war camp from age 23. German exchange pupils were interesting to watch during his classes. However we all got through the maths exams with flying colours a year before everybody else.

So this is something that I have researched before. The debate of "s" virus no "s" is really down to folk etymology and not people being cunning linguists. Americans and Canadians are not wrong but neither is the UK and Australia. Nor are Americans and Canadians more grammatically advanced as the transition from math to maths is not logically thought out.

The most common argument is that Mathematics is plural and therefore when you use the short form, maths is correct while math is not. It isn't plural though. You match it with. singular verb.

Math IS fun not math ARE fun
Maths IS fun not Maths ARE fun

Would it go like this: 1 mathematic, 2 mathematics.......? Nope.

Origins: greek mathmatik adj mathematika, which is plural with an "a" on the end. The "a" became an "s" when translated into English but the use in vocabulary soon because the singular form as in mathematics is the study of all things mathematical. As for abbreviations, math came first in the 1840's. In 1911, maths showed up.

Also, not every word with an "s" at the end is abbreviated with an "s" on the end.

As opposed to statistics where you have a stat and a bunch of stats because statistics has a singular form and a plural form and it refers to the study of all things statistical as well as being plural as in have you got those statistics I asked for?

Do the math. Do the maths.

Say what you want. Write what you want as there is not one more correct convention and all you need to do is not think of mathematics as plural.

Selective education was one of the great successes of post war Britain- the grammar schools.

So, of course, they abolished them. People who had climbed the ladder busied themselves sawing off the bottom rungs.

I suppose we can be grateful that we never had to put up with ‘bussing’ of pupils into schools. That’s a great way to hold back the brighter ones.

The greatest social mobility the UK has ever had was in the era of the select grammar schools. More that 50% of students were from working class backgrounds.

This is interesting, UCLA Professor Gordon Klein, under attack including death and sacking for refusing to give black students a free pass in final exams:

Poor old Dukes of Hazzard.

Naming their car ‘General Lee’ must be a hate crime for a start. Then, of course, there is a confederate flag on the roof.

As an old age pensioner, only being able to gain entry to the vehicle via the window is a bigger issue. Doors that actually open are always a bonus on a motor car.

I hope they don't ban Daisy Duke shorts next...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom