Good Articles That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

According to the NYP yes. Dick Clark knew but American parents didn't.

Btw, the video clip there shows a mixed race audience but black dancers came a bit later.

I don't know. I think that's one of those willfully ignorant things. Everyone knew a lot of Hollywood people at the time were gay too but pretended they weren't, like Anthony Perkins and such.

I don't know. I think that's one of those willfully ignorant things. Everyone knew a lot of Hollywood people at the time were gay too but pretended they weren't, like Anthony Perkins and such.
Possibly, yes.

But that aside, I find these Bandstand YouTube videos fascinating. The prizes and the ads and the method of voting. And Dick Clark was a star.

I don’t think there are many male dancers who are straight in this culture. And I imagine the stigma would only have been worse back then.

I keep encouraging my 12yo some to take some dance classes, because women appreciate someone who can dance and some day he will value the fact he is surrounded by fit girls. But, of course, he won’t step out of his martial arts and fencing lane.

I keep encouraging my 12yo some to take some dance classes, because women appreciate someone who can dance.

Aged 11 at school a weekly lesson was ballroom dancing. As it was an all boys school that meant dancing the waltz with another boy.

Aged 11 at school a weekly lesson was ballroom dancing. As it was an all boys school that meant dancing the waltz with another boy.
Same at my all boys school, but aged 14 we had to do either table etiquette or dancing. We all left knowing our teaspoons and soup spoons apart, with two left feet!

I keep encouraging my 12yo some to take some dance classes, because women appreciate someone who can dance and some day he will value the fact he is surrounded by fit girls. But, of course, he won’t step out of his martial arts and fencing lane.

Take your son to see a really good hiphop performance, the athleticism is amazing. I encouraged my son to take up drums, fencing and hiphop, it was a virtuous circle of timing and physicality. He was always one of the few boys who danced, surrounded by girls.

Doing what you love for work is overrated. There is no shame in working to get paid and hopefully you get some of what you want on the side.

That's fine if it can tell me where I left my keys or oddball items which I misplace because I use them once every 6 months.

Tour Amazon’s dream home, where every appliance is also a spy​

Here’s everything Amazon learns about your family, your home and you​

very interesting piece on all the spying amazon does on you via their devices.

Wasn't Alexa used once in a criminal trial because the police were sure Amazon recorded incriminating conversations without the consent of the actual people?

I'm rather glad I gave away that Google device that some gave me as a gift. I do have a very old Kindle with a keyboard but I mainly use it to split a newspaper subscription with my father. Otherwise Amazon can always hit me up for more Victorian and Edwardian fiction that I might load from time to time.

"The standout finding, published in the journal Nature, surrounded mutations in a gene called ERAP2.

If you had the right mutations you were 40% more likely to survive the plague.

The gene comes in different versions - those that work well and those that do nothing - and you get a copy from each parent.

So the lucky ones, who were most likely to survive, inherited a high-functioning version from mum and dad.

And the survivors had children and so passed those helpful mutations on so they suddenly became much more common."

Hurray Darwin!

"The problem is they have been linked to auto-immune diseases such as the inflammatory bowel disease Crohn's - what helped keep your ancestors alive 700 years ago but could be damaging your health today."

Bugger...

"The Covid pandemic will not leave a similar legacy though.

Evolution works through your ability to reproduce and pass on your genes. Covid largely kills the elderly who have already passed the point of having children."

Don't tell that to the long Covid people.

I have always cooked on electric or induction but I can't use the flame to roast eggplants or flambee.

I get enough benzene from the disinfectant products related to the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom