Hate the Millennials/Ask a Millennial a question

This is the missing bit: being able to troubleshoot and take things apart while using reasoning to figure something out.
I have had to save women from tossing easily fixed, or not even broken, items on too many occasions. Mom says the lawn mower "is acting up" because the spark plug cap is off. Girlfriend thinks she needs a new printer and it turns out it came unplugged. Have some confidence and sniff around a bit.
What's the Sopranos quote? "We change tires in this family," or something to that effect.
This is where the Boomer parents are largely to blame. When I had my first junky car, my parents hated that I was out trying to fix it myself. That was for poors or something. Nice people pay the grease monkey to do dirty work. Go study.
Now, when they tell me of a list of minor car complaints and I get them all fixed in a few minutes (loose bulb connector, floppy panels, easy stuff) there is no complaining.
There is an elitist view that knowing how to do something that didn't give you a degree is beneath us. The exalted just flash cash credit. The middle class and up are Eloi, being useful is for the Morlocks. This shit don't fly in a good economy and is even more foolish now.

I've long been in favor of bring back capital punishment in schools. Teachers aren't allowed to lay a hand on these kids now a days.

Even the threat of the "strap" was enough in some cases. Unfortunately those things that were done back in the day would not fly today with human rights and lawyers. Could you imagine even suggesting that a student would have to go sit in the corner, or stand at the front of the class with gum on his/her nose? Let alone corporal punishment.

I'm going with capital.

"Johnny, I've told you before and you have not listened to me. I am not allowed to beat you but dammit, no one said anything about me not killing you. Get up here so I can kill you right now"

Now that would change some attitudes.

Knowledge itself is going to change very soon as we implantable hard drives. It's like that scene in the Matrix where the chick in leather needs to learn how to fly a helicopter, so it just gets downloaded to her. Same thing. I doubt we're much more than 20 years off from that.

The sex robot will go to e-school for you

I'm not sure I see the connection you guys are making between entitlement and curiosity. I think it's because I don't see inquisitiveness as necessarily tied to the desire to fix things. I'm curious about the functionality of things I could never repair or influence, so I don't see how being given everything I want would conflict with that.

Unless, I guess, we're having a chicken/egg dilemma.

Curiosity and original thought has been supplanted with ready-to-eat, packaged, fresh frozen knowledge packets. Memorize this and regurgitate it. That kills original though and the desire to ask why. The answers are all in the lesson book. Even teachers don't need to think outside of the box.

Couple that with entitlement and the expectation that it will be given to you, this too kills the desire to go beyond rote.

Critical thinking is lacking or lost. Google information is taken as truth without thinking.

I meant corporal and was trying to make a joke.

No joke. Kill a couple.

"Well, we used to fail kids but you parents and administrators didn't like that because it lowers self-esteem. I mean, Nancy got a bunch of ribbons at track day just for participating. We propped up here self esteem but she doesn't seem to appreciate it and just wants more. So we've decided to kill her as a lesson to the others. Look at it this way, it will not have any negative impact on her self esteem. In fact, in that moment between being asked to come to the front of the class, she will think she is being singled out for praise. By the time she realizes it is an execution, it will be done"

Why learn math when you have a calculator on every device?

Incidentally, I noticed this was happening to me. My rudimentary math skills are going to shit because I never use them.

I've long been in favor of bring back CORPORAL punishment in schools. Teachers aren't allowed to lay a hand on these kids now a days.

FTFY. Although I would like to crucify me some of the 10 year olds running around outside my house

The use of mathematics is central to problem solving. Even simple calculations in your head programs the brain.

Give university students the formulae, the numbers to plug in and a calculator, they often cannot solve the problem correctly because it is not an exact copy of the example you provided them in lecture.

Why learn math when you have a calculator on every device?

Incidentally, I noticed this was happening to me. My rudimentary math skills are going to shit because I never use them.

True story.

Spelling is another thing that suffers.

Ah. Yes, this makes sense to me. I feel sorry for these kids. No understanding of the way the things they use work, no curiosity, no pride in creating or recreating something. They're legitimately deprived by convenience.

That is a good way of putting it. We are depriving them by convenience as well as not having consequences for failure.

Edumacation today: here us go kids

WhitegloveSilverPlatterSized.jpeg

Why the hate for millennials rather then the generation that has caused all of these issues? It's like blaming an animal for being abused.

Because I don't know their parents - I only know them by the attitude and behaviour they bring to work and school. Besides they are intelligent and should be able to adapt to the concept of "this is how things go here"

Why the hate for millennials rather then the generation that has caused all of these issues? It's like blaming an animal for being abused.

....and when you work with abused animals, most of the time the improve. Some have to be euthanized though

Bonus footage: The fine art of moving transmission and transfer case in one piece using two jacks.

041105 003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom