Hate the Millennials/Ask a Millennial a question

800px-Boomers.png

it is funny because there is quite a bit of truth in there. the vainest, consumiest, spendiest generation yet.

No joke. Kill a couple.

"Well, we used to fail kids but you parents and administrators didn't like that because it lowers self-esteem. I mean, Nancy got a bunch of ribbons at track day just for participating. We propped up here self esteem but she doesn't seem to appreciate it and just wants more. So we've decided to kill her as a lesson to the others. Look at it this way, it will not have any negative impact on her self esteem. In fact, in that moment between being asked to come to the front of the class, she will think she is being singled out for praise. By the time she realizes it is an execution, it will be done"

A guillotine out in the schoolyard will soon put some fire in their bellies, damnit! ;-)

Reminds me rather of the British execution of their Admiral John Byng, after his loss to the French at the Battle of Minorce in 1797. Voltaire's satirised it in "Candide" - when in Portsmouth, Candide witnesses the execution of an officer by firing squad and is informed that "in this country, it is good to kill an admiral from time to time, in order to encourage the others" (Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres).

A guillotine out in the schoolyard will soon put some fire in their bellies, damnit! ;-)

Reminds me rather of the British execution of their Admiral John Byng, after his loss to the French at the Battle of Minorce in 1797. Voltaire's satirised it in "Candide" - when in Portsmouth, Candide witnesses the execution of an officer by firing squad and is informed that "in this country, it is good to kill an admiral from time to time, in order to encourage the others" (Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres).

The Venetians were known to do this as well. Have no information on its effectiveness, but I like the reasoning.

I'd be surprised if other generations would do better on that question. There are uneducated people all over the place.

I don't know who my senators are either. As important as knowing who won the super bowl.

More interested in Champions League european volleyball.

I'd be surprised if other generations would do better on that question. There are uneducated people all over the place.

I read some stat last year about how like 1/5 of young Britons don't know they have a royal family or something crazy.

I read some stat last year about how like 1/5 of young Britons don't know they have a royal family or something crazy.

Despite easier access to information than ever in the history of the world, we seem to be dumber for it

Let's make it clear you're talking about American millennials. You raise your kids as sheltered as possible, preach abstinence over safe sex, let them watch Fox News and whatnot, promote religion over science and rationality, vote for people who enact crazy anti gay laws, corporatist laws and spy on their own citizens, and your're wondering why American millenias think that way?

They're a product of their society, which has been shaped by the generations before the millenials. The US is batshit crazy, so no wonder your latest generation shows the same traits.

You make some valid points but are way off on the structure. It's not a linear progression, it's cyclical. "Generations" didn't cause this, a "generation" did. Specifically the shit bag baby boomers. Millenials are just an exaggerated form of them. WWII generation and Gen X are quite good. Most of the societal changes millenials like to claim are really from Gen X.

I wouldn't be all that down on the US either from your perspective, what's going on with idiot youth in the Eurozone right now is a lot worse.

You make some valid points but are way off on the structure. It's not a linear progression, it's cyclical. "Generations" didn't cause this, a "generation" did. Specifically the shit bag baby boomers. Millenials are just an exaggerated form of them. WWII generation and Gen X are quite good. Most of the societal changes millenials like to claim are really from Gen X.

I wouldn't be all that down on the US either from your perspective, what's going on with idiot youth in the Eurozone right now is a lot worse.

You're right about cyclicality, but I literally don't know anybody that is homophobic, racist, against premarital sex, etc. The edcuated youth in Europe is fine, while lots of educated people in the US still hold very backwards opinions. If a politician would try to enact an anti gay law in Western Europe he'd be ending his career right then and there.

The problem with both the US and Europe is that nobody in this age range really wants to work.

The problem with both the US and Europe is that nobody in this age range really wants to work.

Lol. 30%+ youth unemployment in Spain is not because people don't want to work. You couldn't be more wrong even if you tried.

Lol. 30%+ youth unemployment in Spain is not because people don't want to work. You couldn't be more wrong even if you tried.

I never said anything about unemployment rates. That's a macroeconomic issue. I am talking about attitudes about work.

I never said anything about unemployment rates. That's a macroeconomic issue. I am talking about attitudes about work.

I think you're conflating two issues here.

You see lots of people not working->people are lazy and don't want to work
While in reality, people not working->because of macroeconomic issues there aren't many jobs available, especially jobs that pay enough to pay off student debts

Do you have any peer reviewed studies that find a significant difference in laziness/work attitudes between the several generations?

My parents can legally retire when they're 65, and financially retire much earlier. They'll also enjoy a very large monthly pension payments. Moreover, their generation has left behind and insurmountable amount of debt.

By the time it's my time to retire, the legal age will probably 75-80, and we won't see any pension payments at all, even though we're paying towards it. Now who is the lazy generation?

We have to work harder and longer for less money and will never be able to retire.

What do the Royals do other than squat over the rest of the country and shit all over them. I mean look at the Queen's husband, a fucking Nazi piece of trash. I'm not an idiot, can't tell me your a Windsor and you are really SCG.

Last edited:
What do the Royals do other than squat over the rest of the country and shit all over them. I mean look at the Queen's husband, a fucking Nazi piece of trash.

The economic contribution is positive so far. As long as they make more money than we pay I'm ok with it.

I think you're conflating two issues here.

You see lots of people not working->people are lazy and don't want to work
While in reality, people not working->because of macroeconomic issues there aren't many jobs available, especially jobs that pay enough to pay off student debts

Do you have any peer reviewed studies that find a significant difference in laziness/work attitudes between the several generations?

My parents can legally retire when they're 65, and financially retire much earlier. They'll also enjoy a very large monthly pension payments. Moreover, their generation has left behind and insurmountable amount of debt.

By the time it's my time to retire, the legal age will probably 75-80, and we won't see any pension payments at all, even though we're paying towards it. Now who is the lazy generation?

We have to work harder and longer for less money and will never be able to retire.

Your parents are not the lazy generation, they are the irresponsible generation.

The millennial generation is lazy. I have see them with my own eyes. I don't need peer reviewed anything to call something that quacks like a duck a duck. In addition, they are entitled, and don't have any interest in building a career. We have birthed a get rich quick generation with little skills to depend on. And yes, there are articles out there, some posted in this very thread.

Lastly, there are lots of countries that don't have the same unemployment problem as Spain, and the millennial problem is the same. Here in the US especially.

Your parents are not the lazy generation, they are the irresponsible generation.

The millennial generation is lazy. I have see them with my own eyes. I don't need peer reviewed anything to call something that quacks like a duck a duck. In addition, they are entitled, and don't have any interest in building a career. We have birthed a get rich quick generation with little skills to depend on. And yes, there are articles out there, some posted in this very thread.

Hey man, I'm in that generation and while I can't do all the shit my grandfather and dad can do, I bust my ass at being accepted as a photographer and I bend over backwards to be helpful to people, you should see how many doors I hold for old ladies. It pisses me off that when I have to shoot board-of-governers photos that they look at me like I'm a fucking rookie.

Yet, when I go to the local executive club, I don't get looked down upon, I guess my being there makes them think I'm a successful executive and they let their guard down.

I won't debate that the generation is lazy, two of my friends are big fucking Italian mama's boys that don't know how to turn on a washing machine. If you are 26-27 and you can't cook a meal or wash your own clothes, that is the definition of lazy.

Plus I know a couple who are a year younger than me who are business savvy photographers who shoot weddings for $4500 in the spring and summer 2 or 3 every weekend and then fuck off to the Bahamas for the entire winter. They've earned the right to be lazy for half the year. If I earned $$$ like that, I wouldn't stick around for Canadian winters.

Hey man, I'm in that generation and while I can't do all the shit my grandfather and dad can do, I bust my ass at being accepted as a photographer and I bend over backwards to be helpful to people, you should see how many doors I hold for old ladies. It pisses me off that when I have to shoot board-of-governers photos that they look at me like I'm a fucking rookie.

Yet, when I go to the local executive club, I don't get looked down upon, I guess my being there makes them think I'm a successful executive and they let their guard down.

I won't debate that the generation is lazy, two of my friends are big fucking Italian mama's boys that don't know how to turn on a washing machine. If you are 26-27 and you can't cook a meal or wash your own clothes, that is the definition of lazy.

Nobody has made an accusations about you. As a generation, as your concurred, millennials are lazy and entitled. They've developed this reputation VERY quickly, which indicates how obvious the problem is.

Nobody has made an accusations about you. As a generation, as your concurred, millennials are lazy and entitled. They've developed this reputation VERY quickly, which indicates how obvious the problem is.

Youre crazy. Lots of my friends work between 70-100 hours a week. How many do you work?

My comments about a large part of the U.S. voting for batshit crazy policies and laws is based on fact. Your comments are based on nothing. Show me a reputable source that says my generation is lazy, or are you one of those people who don't know how science works?

Plus I know a couple who are a year younger than me who are business savvy photographers who shoot weddings for $4500 in the spring and summer 2 or 3 every weekend and then fuck off to the Bahamas for the entire winter. They've earned the right to be lazy for half the year. If I earned $$$ like that, I wouldn't stick around for Canadian winters.

That couple has a loser mentality. People like that are never going to save fuck all for when they're older. If you think that's something to aspire to, you're doing it wrong. Take advantage of your most productive working years and build some wealth instead of acting like migrating birds.

Youre crazy. Lots of my friends work between 70-100 hours a week. How many do you work?

My comments about a large part of the U.S. voting for batshit crazy policies and laws is based on fact. Your comments are based on nothing. Show me a reputable source that says my generation is lazy, or are you one of those people who don't know how science works?

It's a common misconception that working a lot of hours gets a lot of work done. To me, it's usually an indication of dysfunction. I work enough, and delegate as necessary. I never work long weeks like that.

My comments are based on my personal life experience, which has shown me unequivocally that this generation cannot be relied upon to do anything but serve themselves. I have hired and fired quite a few millennials, I have only met a handful that are worth a shit. In fact, in another thread, I went thru 5 interns in about 3 months, all of which presented these great resumes but when it came time to produce some results? Nothing. I felt very sorry for them. We have a lot of over-educated but somehow unproductive people, kids that are good at jumping thru hoops in school but can't translate it to results.

If you need more evidence, I can tell you my peers in my industry *all* feel the same way.

It's a common misconception that working a lot of hours gets a lot of work done. To me, it's usually an indication of dysfunction. I work enough, and delegate as necessary. I never work long weeks like that.

My comments are based on my personal life experience, which has shown me unequivocally that this generation cannot be relied upon to do anything but serve themselves. I have hired and fired quite a few millennials, I have only met a handful that are worth a shit. In fact, in another thread, I went thru 5 interns in about 3 months, all of which presented these great resumes but when it came time to produce some results? Nothing. I felt very sorry for them. We have a lot of over-educated but somehow unproductive people, kids that are good at jumping thru hoops in school but can't translate it to results.

If you need more evidence, I can tell you my peers in my industry *all* feel the same way.

Seems like there is something wrong with your hiring policy then, because I'm seeing lots of young people doing a great job and being very successful at it.

Also, you said people are lazy, but people who work very long hours are by definition not lazy. You're talking out of your ass in this thread, just like in your conspiracy theory big club thread.

We work long hours not because we're dysfunctional, but because we're doing the jobs of 2-3 people. There is no one else to delegate to.

Okay, when you put it that way it makes sense. Thank you for speaking without rancour.

Seems like there is something wrong with your hiring policy then, because I'm seeing lots of young people doing a great job and being very successful at it.

Also, you said people are lazy, but people who work very long hours are by definition not lazy. You're talking out of your ass in this thread, just like in your conspiracy theory big club thread.

We work long hours not because we're dysfunctional, but because we're doing the jobs of 2-3 people. There is no one else to delegate to.

I don't believe my hiring policies are an issue. Others are successful. It seems very narrowly focused on this age range, and it's a common viewpoint among many others. I've stopped considering their resumes, frankly.

Again, there's a difference between working long hours and being effective. You can work long hours and get very little done, which indeed makes you lazy. It's the type of person that is more concerned with looking productive than being productive, lazy effort focused on appearances. Regarding claims of doing the jobs of 2-3 people, I suggest quitting and finding something more suitable to a work life balance.

And if you were really doing the job of 2-3 people, you wouldn't have time to post here, so I call bullshit.

Any my elite thread is a triumph. It's a big club, and we're not it in.

I'll post references when I get around to it but there are common elements in all Millenials worldwide as well as differences.

Common: the work life balance thing in that there is a desire to have more time off for personal pursuits than previous generations. They will work long hours in stretches if it results in time off or more flexible work schedules. There is a desire for high pay without having to "pay one's dues" as well as no desire to better humanity.

Differences include perceptions of their future success, retirement and such other things.

You're right about cyclicality, but I literally don't know anybody that is homophobic, racist, against premarital sex, etc. The edcuated youth in Europe is fine, while lots of educated people in the US still hold very backwards opinions. If a politician would try to enact an anti gay law in Western Europe he'd be ending his career right then and there.

You mean besides the fact the US is out in front in passing same sex marriage laws right?

I love Spainsh food and women, but Spain is far and away the laziest place I have ever been. They make Italy seem downright protestant.

Greece giving them a run for their money though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom